Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 12:55 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I think any business should retain the freedom of association for any reason they choose, same as any customer has the freedom to associate with any business they choose. .
Here is the libertarian question: do businesses have freedom, or do individuals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 01:08 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,315,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
I find it entertaining. If this bothers you, after you've finished whining about me you could put me on your ignore list. Or better yet, go somewhere else altogether. Perhaps Free Republic?
You ain't the boss of me. Or of anyone else, I'm sure.
Angry ranting and raving is being "entertained?" Oooookay.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:20 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,302,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Yes, idiotic republican = people who believe in freedom IF it is something they approve of. For instance, every citizen should be free to patronize any place of business, yet here in this very thread there are idiotic republicans who oppose certain citizens enjoying that freedom. They are for FREEDOM, but not for women, who, in some states, must endure a look-see into their uterine cavity before they can get medical procedures performed.
Ah.... so an abortion is a "medical procedure" like having a wart removed.....

The trouble is you don't see the issue of conflicting freedoms. You see the host as being the sole decider on the "procedure" and don't recognize the freedom rights of the child going to be killed.

There is always going to be a conflict of freedoms when one person wants something that someone else doesn't want to provide. You are free to request I bake you a cake for your wedding and I am free to refuse. What if the case were flipped? What if I wanted to sell your wedding cake, but you didn't want to buy it from me? Aren't you interfering with my freedom? (the answer is no of course)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Idiotic Republicans don't believe in freedom. Idiotic Republicans are all for curtailing the freedom of others if it makes them feel better. The way the right supports kidnaping and torturing people proves this. The way the right wants to force women to bear children against their will because abortion makes them sad also proves this. Republicans hate freedom. What they like is getting their own way; when they don't get their own way they cry about their freedoms being violated, but that's like a toddler screaming that Mommy hates her because she won't let her eat candy for dinner.
Have another Molsen's eh hoser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Here is the libertarian question: do businesses have freedom, or do individuals?
Both, because in a lot, maybe most cases the business and the individual are the same. These businesses that we are talking about (florists, bakers, photographers, etc) are usually sole proprietorship businesses.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:31 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post

There is always going to be a conflict of freedoms when one person wants something that someone else doesn't want to provide.

Then that 'someone else' should not be in a business that caters to the public.

What you are essentially arguing is "whose freedom is BETTER, or MORE DESERVING, or MORE MORAL"?

Equality under the law. Ever hear of that?

To enact laws that deny a specific group or groups of citizens their rights is un-American and unconstitutional.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:42 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
A business is nothing more than individuals trading goods and services with other individuals profitably.

Example - I tutor people, mostly in mathematics. When I do so, I am a business. I am trading with others and doing so profitably. No, whether this is legal or not, I will refuse to tutor anyone I please for any reason I please, which most often is "I don't have the time." Do I not have that right? Now, let us say I take my tutoring up a notch, become an LLC, and employ my wife as my partner/assistant. Did we just lose our rights to form voluntary associations?

Business is an individual or group thereof organized for the purpose of profitable trade, so why do the individuals lose rights as a result of organizing for a legal, beneficial purpose? Makes no sense. Typically, grouping together protects and strengthens the defense of individual rights instead of removing them.

I do not hold the view that government grants rights. This runs counter to the thinking of the vast, willfully enslaved majority who thinks business only happens by the grace and benevolent permissions of government. This is not so. Business does not make profit because government allows it, rather, they make profit because they satisfy a demand in a particular market and do so profitably. Government wants you to think that all things are only a result of their omniscience/presence/benevolence, but it's myth and legend, not reality. In reality, most of us do just fine without Leviathan's toxic caress.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:04 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
The stupidity in this is the power of GREEN (Money). Any business owner should not care what you do outside of his business as long as you have the green to pay him. If they are so stupid to ask questions and want to refuse service or sales, they will not be around long.
So you agree that anti-discrimination laws are unnecessary? If not, please explain how you reconcile your position with your statement above.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:38 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,269,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I knew about this since I tend to read the news and keep abreast of current events. But actually listening to it discussed on a morning radio show (& not even a news/talk station) really drew my ire. For some reason I all of a sudden felt like I was living in 1965 where people were trying to preserve the sanctity of 'tradition.' I'm sure the next step will be someone deciding that hoodies violate their religious beliefs or some other such coded tom-foolery. Slippery slope here...

The fact that no single big-name Republican has come out against this speaks volumes.
The mayor of Indianapolis is Republican and spoke out against this, though he may not be a big-name Republican you're referring to. Being mayor of by far the largest city in the state makes him a pretty big name here, though.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:45 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
NCAA pres issues statement. Could it mark the end of big events such as the Big 10 Title Football game and others?

Statement on Indiana religious freedom bill | NCAA Home Page - NCAA.org

Old 03-26-2015, 02:50 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
I love this. States actually following the constitution. Imagine that.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:51 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Ah.... so an abortion is a "medical procedure" like having a wart removed.....
Ah, more emotional blackmail. Yes, it's a medical procedure like having a wart removed. Why did you put medical procedure in Quotes of Sarcasm. Are you implying it's not actually a medical procedure? Do you think it's a spell or the result of prayer or something?

Quote:
The trouble is you don't see the issue of conflicting freedoms. You see the host as being the sole decider on the "procedure" and don't recognize the freedom rights of the child going to be killed.
Any trouble with conflicting freedoms is your trouble, not mine. I couldn't care less if a stranger terminates her pregnancy, and I don't pretend a fetus is a person. That you do is simply not important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies