Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 04:35 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,310,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
Well just checked my pocket Constitution and found nothing about "civic obligations." I really doubt that the Founding Fathers, the men who started a war for freedom over small tax raises, would really be in support of FORCING business owners to do business with people they do not wish to..
You include Blacks, Irish, Catholics, Jews, single females, single males, unmarried male/female couples, Blondes, females that wear makeup, females that dye their hair, men that cut their hair, men that shave, people with tattoos, etc.. ?? The list of people you could discriminate against in the name of your "Religion" is basically endless.

And YES, when you have a business you do NOT get to choose WHO you will do business with.

Why don't all you guys just admit the USSC is going to rule banning same-sex marriage is unconstitutional and you are looking for ways to make sure you have no contact with those nasty Homosexuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 04:44 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingPops View Post
And the law says they can choose to not participate in a gay wedding ceremony
I don't think they were invited.

Quote:
due to that pesky thing called religious freedom. I know that must hurt.
Why would it? The Christian right are the ones losing.

Quote:
I'm an athiest, but I respect that people have the right to their religious beliefs.
People can believe what they want. This isn't about what people believe, it's what businesses do.

Quote:
I know that's difficult for most liberals to accept, since they seem to think it's their mission to force everyone to think the exact same way as them.
No, I'm not trying to force you to think. That would be a waste of my time.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:50 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,302,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Where are these clubs? I have been to gay clubs with more heteros than gays, no one kicked them out.
West Hollywood, San Francisco and San Diego.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
But we can limit an individuals right to their religious convictions Justice Scalia ruled that way in the case involving peyote.

Employment Division v. Smith | The Oyez Project at IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law
You need to catch up.

That was the case that triggered the federal RFRA and subsequent cases led to the state RFRA laws.

A lot has happened since 1990.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:55 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,228,587 times
I understand that it would be obvious for a photographer and maybe even a baker that have businesses in weddings but how would the millions of other businesses that have know direct knowledge know, do they have a test, is it still a sin if you sell to someone unknowing. Does the grocery store get to refuse service, doctors. lawyers and on what basis. Too much focus on weddings their are other businesses.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:56 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Some folks like it if they hate you even more. I'm one of those people.
That's a sad way to live life. Granted I can't speak to your experience or pretend to know what it's like to grow up black in America. I can only speak from my own experience of treating everyone equally, including my employees, neighbors, customers and friends.

One thing that gives haters power is the perception that they are not alone - that lots of people think like them. Most Americans don't. Most Americans are accepting of everyone. I say let the haters come out of the closet so they can learn that we don't accept them.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:03 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Using a channel for sexual gratification that is meant for exit only is deviant.
Statistics alone can lead a person to the conclusion that in any 24-hour period, more heterosexual people are engaging in anal sex than homosexual people.

There are simply more of them.

If you're really worried about doing business with people who practice this, you need to take a closer look at the heterosexual people you know.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:04 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
What will the lib sheeple do if a Muslim baker refuses to bake a cake for a gay couple in Indiana?

Old 04-01-2015, 05:07 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,496 times
Quote:
And therein lies the problem.
It's not a problem.

Quote:
That means we do not have property rights.
Has this been established legally the way it's been established that waving a bible around doesn't entitle you to violate the law? Or did you just make it up.

Quote:
I don't own my property, you do is what you're saying.
It's what you're saying.

Quote:
That means we do not have property rights.
See? Please learn the difference between the real world and right-wing fantasy.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:09 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
Final Four coaches release joint statement on controversial Indiana law;

“We are aware of the recent actions in Indiana and have made a point to talk about this sensitive and important issue among ourselves and with our teams," the statement read. "Each of us strongly supports the positions of the NCAA and our respective institutions on this matter – that discrimination of any kind should not be tolerated. As a part of America’s higher education system, college basketball plays an important role in diversity, equality, fairness and inclusion, and will continue to do so in the future.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-...195514473.html

Old 04-01-2015, 05:10 PM

157 posts, read 96,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
What will the lib sheeple do if a Muslim baker refuses to bake a cake for a gay couple in Indiana?
The exact same thing they'd do if any bakery broke the law and refused to serve a person because of his sexual orientation (assuming they're in a locality that includes sexual orientation in it's anti-discrimination law).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies