Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 02:25 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Under the new law, if my 'religion' encompasses strong tenets of strict pacifism, can I then decide not to serve or do business with anyone who has a gun permit, hunts or has participated in a war (all choices)?

Just wondering if the Freedom of Religion law protects any and all philosophies considered a 'religion.'
You're really stretching. Because, someone carrying a gun, hunting, etc. is not forcing you to participate in a ceremony which essentially celebrates sin, and not only does it celebrate sin, it makes a mockery of God, and his creation, male and female.

You and your friends have stretched this to the point of absurdity, and everybody knows it. Besides, the Supreme Court has already ruled on such laws and invited the states to pass their own version of the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, signed into law by Bill Clinton, authored by Chuck Schumer, with bi-partisan support (even from Senator Barack Obama).

This video explains why this argument over Indiana's law is so absurd:
Ann Coulter sounds off on Indiana religious freedom law | On Air Videos | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 02:27 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times
It isn't "political correctness" to describe things accurately rather than rife with bigotry and hate.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:33 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Again with the bashing Arkansas. People's bigotry against Arkansas is bigotry. Just like bigotry against gay people. Arkansas is a beautiful state, and there are many fine people who live in Arkansas.
Arkansas showed a little bit of judgment in backing off their proposal (well the gov did but you can't make these rural republicans think no matter what state they are in). If they redo their statute to actually be the same as the federal law or the states other than Indiana that have one by leaving out the person to person stuff, they will probably manage to placate both sides at least to some extent. After all, the legions of bakers clamoring for the right to use their religion to discriminate against gays exists only in the minds of the nutballs on the right - even in Arkansas.

5,864 posts, read 4,981,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Are you serious?

You want people to read the bill and be informed?

Speculating about nothing is much more fun for these idiots.

At the end of the day, Private Property is still Private Property.

Or, is it?

I suppose it really comes down to:

Q: When is Private Property not Private Property?
A: When government exercises control over it.

The fact that your Private Property is used to conduct commerce or trade, doesn't alter the fact that it is still Private Property.

How much longer will it be, before the government tells you that you must let Jehovah's Idiots or Klimate Kweers or Liberals into your home, and you have to entertain them and listen to their spiel, while they lecture you on some nonsense?

Regarding "substantial burden".....

Suppose some Islamic nutters came into your restaurant and demanded that you shut-down your kitchen for an hour to clean and decontaminate it of pork products, before preparing a single cup of tea for which you charge $2.50?

You won't mind losing $3,800 during the dinner-rush.

Right?

That's chump change.

The Money Fairy will bring $1000s just for singing Kum-ba-ya.

I can think of a lot of things that rise to the level of "substantial burden."

Substantially...

Mircea
Bu...bu...buy...JIM CROWE!! That is the response anytime someone advocates for personal property rights. Statists and leftists just invoke Jim Crowe like that is some trump card or something.

6,732 posts, read 5,176,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
What other explanation is there to explain why people prefer deviant behavior?
And why is it "deviant" behavior?

But I see. You spewed out some nonsense and still have nothing to support it, so it was nothing more than an unnecessary cheap shot at gays. That's usually what people resort to when they have nothing objective to present.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:34 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Uh. No.

Rationalize means making up excuses that aren't necessarily logical or reasonable. A rationalization is effectively an irrational justification. It hinges on ignorance.

Rationalization (making excuses) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rationalization in pop psychology has COME to mean this recently.

However rationalization is rooted in a definition of thoughtful explanation. And either way, it engages a person's reasoning ability to explain their beliefs and behavior. REASONING ability. A THOUGHT process.

And truly, I don't want to engage in parsing definitions with you.

The bottom line....Arkansans aren't stupid. And the suggestion that they are is bigotry.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:34 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,286,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
You're really stretching. Because, someone carrying a gun, hunting, etc. is not forcing you to participate in a ceremony which essentially celebrates sin, and not only does it celebrate sin, it makes a mockery of God, and his creation, male and female.
Who cares? You start a business in a state, you're obliged to operate your business according to the laws of that state. The childhood stories you believe in do not change that. They might explain why you're upset, but they don't actually entitle you to act in violation of laws. Even when you use bold type and italics.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:36 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,980,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Who cares? You start a business in a state, you're obliged to operate your business according to the laws of that state. The childhood stories you believe in do not change that. They might explain why you're upset, but they don't actually entitle you to act in violation of laws. Even when you use bold type and italics.
And we're allowed to repeal, amend, or clarify the laws of that state.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:37 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
There are a lot of progressive leftist churches now, whether Presbyterian, non-denominational, Unitarian, or other, that don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Leading Christian lives, however, means saying No a lot, and someone's feelings are going to be hurt.

Romantic thought and activity also isn't like a lot of other centers of human conscousness. It's not artistic, not mathematical. It's why they put locks on bedroom doors. There are also Biblical proscriptions against certain carnal pursuits...
"Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings" - what a load of crap. Those folks are against this law because it is WRONG - despite what the Christian Taliban may claim.

You have no right to force your religious views on anyone else - PERIOD.
NO ONE is forcing anyone to have gay sex. All the rest of it is just business. You are either in business or you are not. If you are a baker, you are baker, you are not a priest. If you are a florist, you are a florist, you are not a priest. If you want to be in the business of religion, be priest or a pastor, anything else has little or nothing to do with religion - no matter what the product.
It's pretty simple. What people's lifestyle is is NONE OF YOUR CONCERN so KEEP YOUR NOSE OUT OF IT.

Ken

Old 04-01-2015, 02:38 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
I was thinking of Citizen's United as well.

It is pretty clear what the Court's thinking is right now.

I have been to gay clubs with my cousin and her wife where I was refused entrance because I was a straight man.

I have also seen obviously straight dudes asked to leave gay clubs. Should I be worries I wasn't asked to leave?

Don't even get me started on Curves......
Where are these clubs? I have been to gay clubs with more heteros than gays, no one kicked them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies