Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 02:38 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times

Advertisements

There are references going back to 1976. I remember learning about rationalization as a psychological concept in college in that time frame. Sorry, but it has always meant this.

No one said anyone was "stupid". That's a word with negative connotations as compared to the accurate characterizations I used: Excuses. Irrational. And so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 02:39 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Arkansas showed a little bit of judgment in backing off their proposal (well the gov did but you can't make these rural republicans think no matter what state they are in). If they redo their statute to actually be the same as the federal law or the states other than Indiana that have one by leaving out the person to person stuff, they will probably manage to placate both sides at least to some extent. After all, the legions of bakers clamoring for the right to use their religion to discriminate against gays exists only in the minds of the nutballs on the right - even in Arkansas.
I'm sorry. I believe the bill was garbage. Many other Arkansans think so, too. Even some rural Republicans that you discuss with disdain.

I have little patience with this jousting between conservatives and progressives, between Republicans and Democrats, with urbanites and our rural denizens. People need to get over themselves. No one is better than someone else because of their political/social/cultural stances. Geography doesn't make someone smarter or more moral.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:40 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
And why is it "deviant" behavior?

But I see. You spewed out some nonsense and still have nothing to support it, so it was nothing more than an unnecessary cheap shot at gays. That's usually what people resort to when they have nothing objective to present.
Using a channel for sexual gratification that is meant for exit only is deviant.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:41 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
You're really stretching. Because, someone carrying a gun, hunting, etc. is not forcing you to participate in a ceremony which essentially celebrates sin, and not only does it celebrate sin, it makes a mockery of God, and his creation, male and female...
Ah, the Christian Taliban.

Ken

Old 04-01-2015, 02:41 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,981,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
False. The concept of personal sovereignty is a childish and antisocial dodge of legitimate civic obligation.
What is a "legitimate civic obligation" and who decides that? You? I don't think baking a cake is a "legitimate civic obligation." So what you're saying is we may or may not have property rights, unless a "legitimate civic obligation" arises, then we lose all property rights. You cannot have true freedom without robust property rights but it does not surprise me that a base statist such as yourself does not understand that. Perhaps one day the state will force you to take in homeless off the streets and let them sleep in your house because hey, they are fellow Americans and it is a "legitimate civic obligation."

Old 04-01-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
There are references going back to 1976. I remember learning about rationalization as a psychological concept in college in that time frame. Sorry, but it has always meant this.

No one said anyone was "stupid". That's a word with negative connotations as compared to the accurate characterizations I used: Excuses. Irrational. And so on.
It has not ALWAYS meant this.

And "stupid" is a reasonable inference, given that "ignorance" is explicitly used on this thread.

The people and legislators in Arkansas are just as intelligent as the people and legislators in any other state.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:44 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It has not ALWAYS meant this.
Indeed, there was a time before the word exists.

Nice chatting with you.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Using a channel for sexual gratification that is meant for exit only is deviant.
Straight people never use this channel?

Old 04-01-2015, 02:46 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,980,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Ah, the Christian Taliban.

Ken
This is about progressive leftist bullies unrespectfully attempting to score points by pushing their personal agendas on businesses that are built partially around catering to what the latter often view as sacred ritual. Don't demand they change their view to yours.

You would no more try to turn every backwater middle America into NYC. Is worrying they're redlining gay neighborhoods next?

Old 04-01-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Indeed, there was a time before the word exists.

Nice chatting with you.
Rationalization | Define Rationalization at Dictionary.com

More particularly, check the USAGE NOTE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies