Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2015, 02:54 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,985,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Theft? Really? I think you should reconsider that stance.

In any case, if I owned a business I would expect to meet all kinds of people, and my store would welcome them all.

Why wouldn't I sell you something? I can think of no good reason.

Again, a business serves the public. The public is everyone. If a business owner wants to discriminate against a segment of the public, they should not be in business.

It is royally stupid. How do these people think??? "I'm going to open a grocery store, but I don't want to sell to ___________. Hmmm, how can I get away with that?"

I mean, if it is SO painful, SO offensive to serve certain people, these business owners should do themselves a favor and find another income stream. Why do they deliberately put themselves in a situation where their religious beliefs will be offended? Are they masochists?

These same people are probably innundated with 'offensive' sounds and imagry 24/7/365. How do they cope?

It's a bunch of BS.
That's just the thing, if they do start a business and willfully shut out a segment of the population they will pay for it via the market. Chances are a business that only sells to whites or only sells to blacks will soon find that they cannot stay in business or they need to change their business model. It's simple and no governmental force was needed. The market can work if people would let it. We don't always need the Nanny State to look out for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 02:54 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,267,512 times
Quote:

In any case, if I owned a business I would expect to meet all kinds of people, and my store would welcome them all.

Again, a business serves the public. The public is everyone. If a business owner wants to discriminate against a segment of the public, they should not be in business.
Curves does just that.

https://www.curves.com/

Old 03-30-2015, 02:58 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,985,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
You seem pretty sadz. It must be terrible for you that whining and crying doesn't put you and your fellow right-wingers above the law.
The only people who are above the law in America today are government thugs. You and your fellow bootlicking statists think it's all well and good because you haven't been ensnared in the tentacles of the Leviathan yet. Increasingly every sphere of human action is policed by the state and at some point the government will pee in your particular bowl of Cheerios and you won't think its so funny then. You think that by being a real good boy and a real good lap dog that the state will always be your guardian yet the state only looks to increase it's own power and if it finds you are in their way they will turn on you.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:01 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,287,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
The only people who are above the law in America today are government thugs.
But not you or the bigots you're defending. Glad that's settled. Bye.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:03 PM

10,835 posts, read 14,947,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
I love the hypotheticals that the homophobes dream up. They're always so creative. Creative and stupid.
Yeah, I am a homophobe as if there were such a word.

These are not hypotheticals.

28% of homosexual men had more than 1000 partners which I find disturbing and disgusting.

79% of homosexual men say over half of sex partners are stranger. Wow, just wow.

Modal range for homosexual sex partners 101-500. And yet homosexuals demand that heterosexuals view their lifestyle as something that deserves to be on equal footing.

My question is if I'm a baker and don't want anything to do with homosexuals then why do homosexuals demand that I have something to do with them? I think it is all a gesture of making normal people stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:04 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,359,117 times
Quote:

It is royally stupid. How do these people think??? "I'm going to open a grocery store, but I don't want to sell to ___________. Hmmm, how can I get away with that?"

I mean, if it is SO painful, SO offensive to serve certain people, these business owners should do themselves a favor and find another income stream. Why do they deliberately put themselves in a situation where their religious beliefs will be offended? Are they masochists?

These same people are probably innundated with 'offensive' sounds and imagry 24/7/365. How do they cope?

It's a bunch of BS.
It is theft, because you're forcefully parting someone from their property without their consent. If you own something, that means you have the right to decide if you keep it or sell to someone else, and to decide who you sell to. If someone overrules you, either they have legitimate authority to do so (which is how government justifies it, but it's a logical impossibility) or it's a violation of the owner's property rights.

As far as opening a business, you allow the public to shop there (or maybe you don't). You decide when you're open or closed, not the public...you decide what you sell, not the public...you should be allowed to sell to whoever you want, not have the public decide how you run your business. As was mentioned before this post, let the market handle them. You vote for a business with your money, so if they're unpopular with the public, that means little money for them.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:08 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,359,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
But not you or the bigots you're defending. Glad that's settled. Bye.
I'm on SoCalbound's side. He's not defending their bigotry, he's defending their right to be a bigot. That's pretty much the entire reason we have freedom of speech...you might disagree with someone's ideas, but you can't use the state to punish them for it if they aren't infringing on the rights of others.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:20 PM

49 posts, read 63,788 times
When the GOP does try to legislate, why is it always hateful, discriminatory law that most people under 50 will hate?

Why all the Fuss? It didn't hurt Bill Clinton, Chuck Schumer when they proposed & passed a similar law in '93? It was called the Religious Freedom Restoration Act of 1993 & it passed with near unanimous support!

Old 03-30-2015, 03:20 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,232,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I think one thing that escapes people is that of a signed agreement or contracted services not just someone going into a bakery or going in to buy flowers but signing an agreement/contract in which someone, based on their religious values, is FORCED to be a part of something that is considered sinful. That business would be a part of a sinful union.

Religious Freedom Act backlash continues in South Bend, across the US | Local - WSBT.com

Homosexuals tend toward paranoia which is part of the mental health issues which got homosexuality to be considered a mental illness. They now think everything singles them out. I know that must be difficult to live with such paranoia but I think many of us are getting tired of them trying to make everything about themselves. Whatever they force others to do with the laws, it doesn't change the Biblical law and society will never accept them as normal so perhaps they need to find another way to deal with their paranoia.

If a group refuses to be tolerant of the beliefs of others, how do they expect to ever be given the same.

My brother who follows this closely since he lives in the area said that homosexuals have a list of businesses they are going to target in South Bend with the hopes of putting them out of business. He said you don't see that in the mass media and, no, you don't. Now, what if I had a list of businesses ran by homosexuals and I announced I was going to try to put them out of business? That would be wrong according to the rules of the agenda. Trying to take God away in the name of the "agenda"? I don't see it happening. The more militant a group becomes, the more people get fed up.
Two people getting married, regardless of sexual orientation, is not a sinful union.

This law allows for discrimination, which is unconstitutional. Again, I'm fine with people wanting to practice their religion and not take part in ceremonies or what have you that goes against the tenants of their religion.

Doing so at the expense of another group of people is tasteless and is full of bigotry. Now those homosexuals who want to go and out companies out of business aren't doing themselves any favors. This is the same reaction that homophobics had when JC Penny's featured a same sex couple on their ads - they wanted them to go out of business.

Religious freedom is important, but civil liberties are just as important. This bill dampens a specific group of Americans civil liberty and I don't see how anyone could possibly support that.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:24 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,267,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Two people getting married, regardless of sexual orientation, is not a sinful union.

This law allows for discrimination, which is unconstitutional.
The Constitution does not apply to individuals. It applies to the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies