Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 12:59 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,392,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
He said nothing about being rewarded for himself. He is just referring to living on what he earns without the government all up in his wallet.
Oh please. welcome to reality. Pretty much every country in the world is this way. And heres a shocker for him-the US has some of the lowest effective rates in the developed world. Only Turkey, Chile, and Mexico are lower.

How do US taxes compare internationally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 01:00 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,533,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I keep telling people this, but its almost like they recognize it for the trap it is, that welfare sucks few people would actually choose it.

Oh oh...or maybe he just needs to pull himself up by his bootstraps, and accept that its his fault for not being more successful?

I could go on.
Many people look to sources other than themselves when assessing life's difficulties. I know. I was married to two such people.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:07 PM

45,595 posts, read 27,223,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Oh really?

Why does the government punish people like me? Why does it instead reward people who don't work or who spend more than they make?
... smh ...

First sentence - All he wants to do is earn a paycheck... The non-workers are rewarded. He does not want to be in that group.

Simple reading comprehension.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Oh please. welcome to reality. Pretty much every country in the world is this way. And heres a shocker for him-the US has some of the lowest effective rates in the developed world. Only Turkey, Chile, and Mexico are lower.

How do US taxes compare internationally?
Did you really just send some info supporting the Bush tax rates? The chart is from 2008. LOL...

Old 03-30-2015, 01:11 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,533,078 times
Quote:
... smh ...

First sentence - All he wants to do is earn a paycheck... The non-workers are rewarded. He does not want to be in that group.

Simple reading comprehension.
Ah yes, reading comprehension. Try again.

If you're looking to be rewarded...

Notice the word "if." Understand now?

Old 03-30-2015, 01:13 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,080,145 times
Quote:
The government is just representative of the people who put them there.

If it seems like they are punishing you, then the country is full of people who are OK with this system.

You will never be able to itemize the services you use, but we spending way to much needlessly.
Anyone ever give any thought to the fact that those on welfare and gimme, gimme from Government are voting from a "conflict-of-interest" position? These people expect working people to pay their taxes which now include higher taxes in order to pay the welfare to those not earning their way by taking responsibility for themselves.

Food for thought! We can't take their vote away, so the alternative is to make a way for them to take responsibility for themselves. Welfare and any give away should be in the hands of entities at local levels...never Federal or State governments and very little in County and less in City. Only locals know who really needs help and why!

Old 03-30-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Did you really just send some info supporting the Bush tax rates? The chart is from 2008. LOL...
I can find more recent ones as well. Guess what? We're still among the lowest. Nothing I have said is supporting the Bush tax rates. Mix those in with the resulting "Bush deficits". Yeah. then add in a massive recession, and you begin to understand why Cheney saying "deficits don't matter" in a time of prosperity really harmed our country.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
Anyone ever give any thought to the fact that those on welfare and gimme, gimme from Government are voting from a "conflict-of-interest" position? These people expect working people to pay their taxes which now include higher taxes in order to pay the welfare to those not earning their way by taking responsibility for themselves.

Food for thought! We can't take their vote away, so the alternative is to make a way for them to take responsibility for themselves. Welfare and any give away should be in the hands of entities at local levels...never Federal or State governments and very little in County and less in City. Only locals know who really needs help and why!
Ah yes, the rallying cry of those who want to see individual states or even cities battle it out for a race to the bottom.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Ah yes, reading comprehension. Try again.

If you're looking to be rewarded...

Notice the word "if." Understand now?
Umm... that wasn't in the OP's post. You said that.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
I can find more recent ones as well. Guess what? We're still among the lowest. Nothing I have said is supporting the Bush tax rates. Mix those in with the resulting "Bush deficits". Yeah. then add in a massive recession, and you begin to understand why Cheney saying "deficits don't matter" in a time of prosperity really harmed our country.
No argument from me on the deficit angle. They are never good.

Whatever updated info you find, our rates will be higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies