Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 02:38 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,337,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
So . . . you have an accountant but "IRS thugs" are not providing you with "paper forms and instruction booklets?" If you have the former, why do you need the latter? Did you just make that up, or do you have an accountant born in the 1930's?

Mick
Use Google and figure it out for yourself hoss, that way you won't look like a jacka$$ trolling for cheap points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 03:47 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
The annual republicans whining about taxes thread. Ok, have fun.

I turbotaxed it in 2 hours, and grabbed a cold one.

No wait, I spent months in agonizing uncertainty, had to cut the kids Cricket lessons, missed a spa session, and GOT A PAPERCUT!!!!:c rying:
Took me 30 minutes....And boy am I happy about doing it online! Let me tell you, I got a papercut one time that was truly horrific. I bled for like a minute! You know those feds, they're gonna get their blood out of you one way or another.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:08 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Took me 30 minutes....And boy am I happy about doing it online! Let me tell you, I got a papercut one time that was truly horrific. I bled for like a minute! You know those feds, they're gonna get their blood out of you one way or another.
That's fine for you and Fiddlehead, but what about the rest of us? According to the IRS itself the average time spent is 13 hours (including gathering of forms and info).

Claims about the cost and time spent on filing taxes - The Washington Post

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal

Old 04-17-2015, 05:51 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
That's fine for you and Fiddlehead, but what about the rest of us? According to the IRS itself the average time spent is 13 hours (including gathering of forms and info).
What the IRS states is to cover their own jobs. For personal taxes if does not take 13 hours even if it were spread out over 16 months. It didn't even take that long even when we did it before computers. And now from beginning to end, typing it into a computer and transmitting it via the internet takes less than a hour.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:58 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

Claims about the cost and time spent on filing taxes - The Washington Post

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal
I gotta tell you, last year my tax return was 258 pages long, this year, I'm not done with it.. Wont be nearly as long but its ridiculous..

Old 04-17-2015, 06:08 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I gotta tell you, last year my tax return was 258 pages long, this year, I'm not done with it.. Wont be nearly as long but its ridiculous..
That's the pages your computer spout out as worksheets with nothing on most of them, right?

fwiw:

Maybe we should type Personal or Business when posting.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:14 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
That's the pages your computer spout out as worksheets with nothing on most of them, right?

fwiw:

Maybe we should type Personal or Business when posting.
nope, sadly they are pretty much full..

Personal..

Old 04-17-2015, 06:34 PM

26,513 posts, read 15,092,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Switch to a national sales tax.

#1 It would save countless man hours and stress in homes, business, and government as it would be simple.

#2 It would be harder to avoid and paying under the table loses a lot of ground.

#3 It would be harder for corrupt politicians to exploit a national sales tax to target individuals or give subsidies to big business.

#4 Less people would have careers in taxes, which would free them up for jobs that are better for developing and improving human society.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Sounds sensible, except the regressive nature of such tax. No wonder the rich folks love it. Are people psychologically ready to pay 2x, 3x or more the current sales tax on top of whatever the state and local governments would impose separately? Y'all still be biatching about the taxes.

Mick
Ways you can make a Progressive Consumption Tax:

-A check from the government to every citizen that covers the estimated taxes of someone in poverty. Typically the poor would then most likely break even on the tax and the middle class and rich would still pay in.

-Higher taxes on single non-home purchases of over $50K.

Etc...

The Purple Tax Plan | The Purple Tax Plan

Old 04-17-2015, 07:09 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
And my accountant loves it. Between the added complexities of the tax code and the IRS thugs denying taxpayers easy access to paper forms and instruction booklets he's had a booming tax season.
Ours did love it too this year. We had to file three different COUNTRIES this year. The least income made in the U.S. but the largest bill for doing our taxes. And I had to do most of the work for him. The Canadian CPA cost me the least. And well.. the South American country... the easiest. They just kept everything they took.......

Old 04-17-2015, 08:07 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,337,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
And well.. the South American country... the easiest. They just kept everything they took.......
Lol..a friend who does occasional consulting work in California said the same thing about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies