Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 07:57 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,550,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I guess the OP, through his example, is showing us how to stifle "clean political discourse."
I mean, I can ramble off historical figures and feel intelligent, too.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:14 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I mean, I can ramble off historical figures and feel intelligent, too.
Sure, but can your dad beat up his dad?

Old 04-15-2015, 08:49 PM
mm4 mm4 started this thread

5,711 posts, read 3,979,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
While I agree that most "progressives" are statist tyrants at heart you have to call a spade a spade the other way as well. Social conservatives and neocon warhawks love big government just as much as the left. Telling people what they can put in their bodies or using the police state to crack down on non-violent drug offenders is wrong. "Preemptive" wars all over the globe are wrong as well.
That's what neocons (leftist Republicans, Rockefeller Republicans) do. That's not what the paleocon right does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
You can't call yourself a proponent of "limited government" if you support government intervention into the bedroom and abroad.
If you argue paleos are pro-life, that's true; they're not going to want to fund destructive procedures wherever they occur.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:52 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,980,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
That's what neocons (leftist Republicans, Rockefeller Republicans) do. That's not what the paleocon right does.

If you argue paleos are pro-life, that's true; they're not going to want to fund destructive procedures wherever they occur.
Well I am on the right so I'm not arguing against conservatism. In fact I consider myself somewhat of a paleoconservative with libertarian leanings. I was merely pointing out that you have to call out all big government statists, not just those on the left. Big government is big government no matter if it's the left boot or the right boot on your throat.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:04 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Neo this, paleo that. Left this, right that. Christian this, Muslim that. For people who claim to champion the individual, rightwingers sure do see the world in groups.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:51 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,771,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Which GOP candidates will roll back the NSA and government surveillance?
None, because if they tried they would be stopped by the progressive left. There isn't really any difference between the two parties. Obama = Bush 2. The Tea Party faction makes some waves, but are largely kept in check by the progressive left establishment within the GOP. Democracy serves to prevent change.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:57 AM

428 posts, read 344,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Neo this, paleo that. Left this, right that. Christian this, Muslim that. For people who claim to champion the individual, rightwingers sure do see the world in groups.
It is in groups. People naturally fall into clades whether they are physical or philosophical. I admit that a group belief in individual rights is an interesting idea, but certainly not hard to wrap your mind around.

Given an uninterrupted descent into diversity, censorship and surveillance will be an absolutely unavoidable side effect. You have to keep the lid on somehow.

Everyone might as well get with the program.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:05 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,771,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Fair enough. BTW I would find that to be hilarious if they did.

But you still avoid the point. Its not a left vs right. Its every darn politician giving up our freedoms for safety. Trying to make it left vs right is ignoring the reality.
You are on the right track but missing the larger reality. There really isn't any right vs. left in this republic, just varying shades of the progressive left. Ideological differences are promoted as a smokescreen to keep people distracted so that they won't pull back the curtain and expose the wizard. You have people like Rand Paul who try to bring us back to constitutional principles, but the constitution died a long time ago, courtesy of the progressive left which controls the establishment base in both major parties.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:46 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
I'm not saying republicans are always right but it's true the left are more sensitive towards debate and differing opinions and more likely to censor those opinions because they operate more based on feeling vs the right which operates moreso (though not entirely) on facts and logical arguments.

You throw facts at a liberal and it's like you're violating their religious beliefs. I don't care if someone disagrees with my opinion. That's life.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:21 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I'm not saying republicans are always right but it's true the left are more sensitive towards debate and differing opinions and more likely to censor those opinions because they operate more based on feeling vs the right which operates moreso (though not entirely) on facts and logical arguments.

You throw facts at a liberal and it's like you're violating their religious beliefs. I don't care if someone disagrees with my opinion. That's life.
Wow. Don't think I've ever seen a finer display of projection in my entire life. [slow clap] Well played, sir.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies