Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 05:10 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,122,761 times

Advertisements

The political forum, this thread included, leans heavily towards the right, so many conservatives risk getting slammed MOD CUT when trying to express their views. I live in the South (by the grace of God) and am a conservative. Where do y'all get off saying that all conservatives are Republicans? Our candidate for Prez is a conservative but a Democrat.

Conservatives want to keep America for Americans and not for the illegals and conservatives want to keep American money in the hands of Americans.

Last edited by NewToCA; 01-19-2008 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: mods not a topic for discussion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 10:01 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,742,119 times
Quote:
Conservatives want to keep America for Americans and not for the illegals and conservatives want to keep American money in the hands of Americans.

All the while Bush and company borrowed from China and sends Billions to Iraq,
getting us in the biggest debt this country has ever seen. Conservative my eye.
The war that "will pay for itself" <ha

Old 01-19-2008, 10:50 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBatz View Post
I live in the South (by the grace of God) and am a conservative. Where do y'all get off saying that all conservatives are Republicans? Our candidate for Prez is a conservative but a Democrat.
Grace of God: Dei Gratia, one of the official titles of the monarch of the United Kingdom. Are you really a Republican because it sounds Monarchist?

Which Democratic candidate is a conservative? Is it Clinton? I've heard about that two-faced woman and her long-time dealings with Dominionism and the Third-Way movement in the party (Democratic Leadership Council).

Old 01-23-2008, 01:07 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
By god Dunkel we agree on something.
I agree the guys that call themselves conservatives are not by my definition anything close to being a true conservative.
True conservatives believe in fiscal managment. Ie we run the country like we would our own check book. We don't spend money we don't have. To balance it we first look inward. Whats wrong with america now? Whats going to be wrong soon? And whats going to be wrong in the long term? Then work to solve the issues.
True conservatives are not against helping the small guy out. Things happen things go wrong. Help the person out.
I am for personal accountability and responsibility. Welfare people are not all bad people. Most no doubt are average joe's. The ones I condem are those who keep making babies with absolutely no concern about who is going to pay for them. Contraception is free. Go to planned parenthood the options are out there.
Nation building? No true conservative is an advocate of nation building.
Wars should be the last resort. Fought to defend America... Not police the damn world.
Foreign aide? How can we afford foreign aid if even 1 american citizen wants to go to college but can't afford it? If even 1 american citizen is living on the streets at no fault of their own? If our spending is more than our revenue?
No the guys in office who claim to be conservative are anything but.
You are the first self-professed conservative on this forum that I have seen actually express real conservative ideals. And even though I am liberal, we don't think very differently. The differences between a real conservative and a real liberal is how you implement them, and the balance between them.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Once again, it depends. The WHO healthcare systems' rankings are based heavily on how much government involvement in healthcare there is. I think it is fair enough to state that America is rated lower than many of those countries not because of flaws with the medical care itself, but rather by how much government involvement takes place. When live births, life expectancy, and quality of care are taken into account, the over all result is much less dramatic. Also, most of America's slightly lower life expectancy rate is the result of a higher homicide rate (which is a different issue all together) and a higher accident rate.
I read the findings. It has to do with the number of people who have no health care (and thus mortality), and how much we spend. (double than most). I don't think homicide is factored in at all.

Great post, even if it isn't my ideology.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
Who pays most of the taxes in this country? Yes, the rich. So when a tax cut is passed, who gets the most benefit...yeah, the rich. Duh.
Who gets most of the benefit? The rich. So shouldn't they pay more. Duh!

Old 01-23-2008, 05:22 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,711,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Who gets most of the benefit? The rich. So shouldn't they pay more. Duh!
That's not the argument. The argument is about tax cuts benefitting the rich. I'm saying of course it benefits the rich, because that is who pays taxes. That's like saying it's unfair when Ford has a sale because it doesn't benefit Chevy customers...well, duh, because they are Chevy customers. How can cutting taxes benefit someone that doesn't pay taxes?

But if you want to make it about who benefits from society more, let's have that discussion. My first argument is that if the rich benefit from society more than anyone else it's because they have earned it. My second argument is that society needs rich people more than those rich people need society; rich people are indispensible to our society, so doing things to punish them (raising taxes, for instance) is actually bad for everybody. If they decided to up and leave, we'd all be in a world of hurt, wouldn't we?

Old 01-24-2008, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
That's not the argument. The argument is about tax cuts benefitting the rich. I'm saying of course it benefits the rich, because that is who pays taxes. That's like saying it's unfair when Ford has a sale because it doesn't benefit Chevy customers...well, duh, because they are Chevy customers. How can cutting taxes benefit someone that doesn't pay taxes?
Person A is poor. They don't pay income taxes, but they pay lots of other taxes.
Person B is middle class. They pay taxes, a lot of them, but they don't have a lot of money otherwise. They could use to pay less taxes. It would help their families. It could mean the difference between sending their kid to college or not.
Person C is rich. They pay taxes, and just got a tax cut. They don't really need the tax cut. Basic decisions about where to live, where and how to educate their kids are uneffected either way.

So if person C pays less taxes, then person B has to either pay more taxes to make up for the short-fall, or endure cuts in Federal Financial Aid, Interstate Highway maintenance or a lot of other things that come directly out of their pocket as a result of those cuts.

Quote:
My first argument is that if the rich benefit from society more than anyone else it's because they have earned it.
By themselves, or with the help of others? Government help? YES. Employee help? Yes.

Quote:
rich people are indispensible to our society,
The middle-class are the backbone of our society. Without them, you have no market in which to sell.

Quote:
so doing things to punish them (raising taxes, for instance) is actually bad for everybody.
Worse then punishing the middle class?

Quote:
If they decided to up and leave, we'd all be in a world of hurt, wouldn't we?
No, I think the destruction of the middle class is a lot more destructive to society.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:54 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
I wonder if there is a chart or study somewhere that shows political affilations of the Wealthy? All the uber wealthy that I can think of have names like Kennedy, Pelosie, and a bunch of those Holllywood go-zillionairs.........

Old 12-11-2011, 02:34 PM

4 posts, read 6,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
If conservatives are all for "personal responsibility," then why are they making such a big deal out of gay rights? ...." I'll gladly accept personal responsibility for my same-sex civil union on my Judgment Day, but I can't because the "conservative" Republicans who believe that the government shouldn't be involved in personal affairs also feel as if love is something that should be regulated. Hypocracy, anyone?

The One who created everything does not hold your opinion of SSA union....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies