Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 07:57 AM

35,122 posts, read 17,080,545 times

Advertisements

I have a radical idea that I entertain occasionally, that we'd be better off radically scaling back health insurance. My thoughts here on new thread, to avoid thread drift (link).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 08:32 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,572,093 times
Lightbulb I'm not so sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Republicans Admit Defeat and Silently Surrender In Their War On Obamacare

I said it when It was signed it will be like social security/Medicaid, it was never ever getting repealed.
The clueless radical right would still get rid of social security and medicare in an instant if they had the votes. And social security is now 80 years in place. They just hate spending taxpayer dollars on programs to benefit taxpayers.

Bomb craters in the middle east sand/camel dung? Sign 'em up for that any old day.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:42 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,884,750 times
"Montana is on track to join 28 states and the District of Columbia by expanding Medicaid to cover more low-income people. [...] Proponents of the legislation say it will expand health coverage to as many as 45,000 Montanans."

Montana Poised To Expand Medicaid Under Obamacare

Montana joins Indiana in being the second red state this year to expand Medicaid. Meanwhile, debate to expand it continues in the red states of Alaska, Florida, Missouri, Tennessee and Utah. Looks like the trend is going the wrong way for the right wing hardliners who still want to repeal it.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:51 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,122,672 times
What a crapload from PoliticusUSA, a fetid cesspit of liberal liars and scum who never met a neighbor's wallet they didn't want to steal. Progressives are scum.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:58 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,427,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Republicans Admit Defeat and Silently Surrender In Their War On Obamacare

I said it when It was signed it will be like social security/Medicaid, it was never ever getting repealed.

Meanwhile, the Supreme Court continues deliberations on the Exchanges....

Old 04-19-2015, 09:09 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,769,084 times
Just more proof that the two parties are just different sides to the same coin. Faux opposition is what we saw. Just enough to make us think that they (Republicans) actually were going to do something about the Obamacare disaster. The reality is that they answer to the same corporate interests as the democrats, neither answer to the people.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:16 AM

78,510 posts, read 60,702,401 times
Obamacare isn't going to be repealed but it is a big fundraiser topic from the base on either side.

Watching it get implemented will be the fun part because it's one thing to take credit for people getting coverage....and it's another when you have to use penalties to try to squeeze another $200 a month or so out of people barely covering rent.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:45 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,379,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
Very true. Plus the disaster for the democrats continues to 2016 when the Republicans take back the White House.
Could be...I see 2016 as uncharted territory as of now. It seems impossible to guess at this point who the GOP nominee will be, much less how that nominee will match up against Orval Faubus's driver's wife.

Hillary could slam dunk the election by getting 60% of the female vote, which would only require a 5 pt. boost from what Obama got in 2012. OTOH Hillary's favorability rating among women now is only about 56% and seems more likely to go down than up.
Hillary Clinton Retains Strong Appeal to American Women

Hillary also could win by replicating Obama's feat of getting 80% of the non-white vote, and it's clear from her initial ad that this is her strategy. She also has hired key Obama campaign staffers who are proven masters of appealing to low info voters on the basis of identity politics. But can they do the same thing working with a 69-yr-old wife of Orval Faubus's driver as they did with Barack Obama? It's terra incognita.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:10 AM

7,580 posts, read 5,335,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
318.9 million is the population of US, and Obama care has 11 million enrolees. This means that people are staying away from it as much as they can.
That's really sketchy math. Now I know that the Republican meme is that the Affordable Care Act has taken control of the entire healthcare system, but what you failed to count is that not everyone lacks coverage from their job or business. The vast majority of Americans, my family and myself included, remain outside of the federal system. The objective of the Affordable care act, which people like yourself fail to understand - for some unknown reason - is that objective of the ACA is make healthcare insurance available to those who could not previously afford it or could not obtain coverage due to pre-existing conditions.

Of those who were previously without health insurance coverage more than 1/3 are now covered as a result of the ACA, now perhaps if we could be rid the absurd lies and propaganda being disseminated by the Republican Party, we might be able to get that other 2/3 to realize that medical care is still between the patient, the doctor and their private insurance company without the slightest interference by the federal government regarding how that care is carried out.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:30 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,884,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
That's really sketchy math. Now I know that the Republican meme is that the Affordable Care Act has taken control of the entire healthcare system, but what you failed to count is that not everyone lacks coverage from their job or business. The vast majority of Americans, my family and myself included, remain outside of the federal system. The objective of the Affordable care act, which people like yourself fail to understand - for some unknown reason - is that objective of the ACA is make healthcare insurance available to those who could not previously afford it or could not obtain coverage due to pre-existing conditions.

Of those who were previously without health insurance coverage more than 1/3 are now covered as a result of the ACA, now perhaps if we could be rid the absurd lies and propaganda being disseminated by the Republican Party, we might be able to get that other 2/3 to realize that medical care is still between the patient, the doctor and their private insurance company without the slightest interference by the federal government regarding how that care is carried out.
Spot on. The ACA is designed to provide healthcare coverage to the self-employed/independent contractors and low income people who didn't have access to coverage through employers, as well as people with preexisting conditions. The majority of Americans get their coverage through employers so for them the ACA is not an issue except as a way to score political points.

As for the rest of Americans who remain uncovered, a good four million of them could be covered right now if their red state legislatures would expand Medicaid. So all the whining by the right about how many people remain uncovered is disingenuous at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies