Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 08:10 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
As big as he is, I reckon he'll be touring with the Dixie Chick before long.

Tim McGraw criticized by gun rights advocates over Sandy Hook concert | Fox News
there's only one now? best news I've had all morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 09:19 AM

260 posts, read 218,441 times
Country fans are willing,I think,to support singers who have different views than themselves. Yet I think when it comes to gun rights that may be a step too far.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:27 AM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Tim McGraw is a hypocrite who likes to take the money from people whose values he sings about but does not support. Ironically, McGraw's new tour is named "Shotgun Rider"!

This Sandy Hook Promise concert he is headlining has been touted as a charity whose mission is to support kids and the community, but that is a lie, in my opinion.

Sandy Hook Promise appears to be a charity and lobby who pushes a gun control, anti-gun agenda.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:43 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,176 times
Has a right to his opinions whether I agree with him or not......

Old 04-20-2015, 11:00 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
According to the article:

How dare the man take such a position?

No wonder he is being criticized.

As I said, he is free to take any position he wants and those who used to support him are free to no longer.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:31 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
One thing people don't talk about much is just how anti-individualist redneck culture really is. In the small towns and backwaters of this country, you're expected to look, act, speak, and think a certain way. Deviate from the norm- even a little bit- and you'll quickly find out just how unwelcome outsiders are.
>>>>> That may be. But they are still nowhere near as bad as liberal culture is. You described liberal culture perfectly but still fall short.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:37 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
There are other liberal country stars: Faith Hill (his wife), Willie Nelson, Trisha Yearwood, Dixie Chicks etc. The difference is after being shunned by the rightwing country establishment they are speaking out. There are many more rumored to be liberals who don't say anything (Dolly Parton is rumored to be a Democratic supporter). I used to work in country radio and the audience tends to be very conservative. That's why generally the libs never said much. Someone like Tim McGraw gets a huge pop fan base (as does most of these acts)so I suppose their thinking is if they lose country there is pop. BTW I'm no fan of today's country, give me traditional country.
Yeah, people with views that aren't the norm in the industry they work in tend to lay low so they don't get backlash etc.

There have been complaints for decades and decades out of Hollywood for being that way.

Me personally, when you work in showbiz you'd be wise to heed the advice of WC Fields and keep politics out of your work...but to each thier own.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:39 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
I don't think less of a man for taking an unpopular stance with his core group. Quite the opposite. Sounds like he is his own man.

Kind of like when Bob Dylan went electric and all the hippy folksters blew a gasket. They have a right, just like anyone, to hold their own opinions. And in Bob's case (or for that matter, Tim's, or Taylor Swift's), to be creative in their own way.

I am a lifelong country, blue grass, rockabilly fan, and for singing and guitar playing, I love country and western best, but I am not going to let that change my center left politics a wit.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:40 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, people with views that aren't the norm in the industry they work in tend to lay low so they don't get backlash etc.

There have been complaints for decades and decades out of Hollywood for being that way.

Me personally, when you work in showbiz you'd be wise to heed the advice of WC Fields and keep politics out of your work...but to each thier own.
Can't argue with this. Zip it seems best.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:44 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
One thing people don't talk about much is just how anti-individualist redneck culture really is. In the small towns and backwaters of this country, you're expected to look, act, speak, and think a certain way. Deviate from the norm- even a little bit- and you'll quickly find out just how unwelcome outsiders are.
Having lived in small towns and large and having gone through school with people across a broad spectrum of social and political views I've not had that experience. You can find close-minded idiots just about anywhere.

Based upon your post history here, I have to wonder if you don't really have much real experience on the topic and are um....helping it along a bit lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies