Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 02:05 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,156,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repeal Act of 2010?
Occurred after the Log Cabin Republicans had a court order its removal. The Democrats actually fought against its removal..

Need to do better than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 02:15 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,112,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Occurred after the Log Cabin Republicans had a court order its removal. The Democrats actually fought against its removal..

Need to do better than that.
So you're denying the fact that a Democratic controlled congress passed the Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repeal Act of 2010 (on an essentially party line vote)?

And yes, the Log Cabin Republicans did sue over the ban on gays in the military. However, that case was eventually dismissed as moot since the Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repeal Act of 2010 went into effect.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
So you're denying the fact that a Democratic controlled congress passed the Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repeal Act of 2010 (on an essentially party line vote)?
I didnt say that at all. try to re-read and comprehend what I said.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
And yes, the Log Cabin Republicans did sue over the ban on gays in the military. However, that case was eventually dismissed as moot since the Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repeal Act of 2010 went into effect.
So you admit Democrats did NOTHING until after a court ordered its removal, but argued with me anyways.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:30 PM

13,979 posts, read 5,638,833 times
The ruling will not help/hurt Republicans on the issue either way it goes. The reason is because the media will continue gotcha questions no matter what the SCOTUS does. If they overturn bans, the question to GOP pols whether they think the SCOTUS got it wrong, would they vote for legislation to overturn it, etc. If the SCOTUS upholds the bans, the question will be do you support the SCOTUS decision, will you vote to appoint more fascist anti-gay thugs to the SCOTUS, etc. And they'll keep asking the same people until they "get" them, even if it takes repeating the question a million times.

The media-academia-entertainment complex (borrowing from Jay Nordlinger here) has carved it into stone that the GOP hates gays like Hitler hated Jews. There's no getting around it now, and only the media-academia-entertainment complex can kill that meme, which they don't seem to be to willing to do, given how they double down on it every chance they get.

So no matter what SCOTUS does, the anti-GOP forces of pop culture will always hate the GOP according to how the meme/myth works.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Well, I responded to a statement claiming that the Democrats in congress had never passed a piece of pro gay rights legislation by mentioning the Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repeal Act of 2010 - a piece of pro gay rights legislation Democrats in congress in fact did pass.

You responded that I "Need to do better than that." Your statement could most certainly mean you disagreed with and were challenging the information I provided.
It takes all sorts of low life scums to fight against the repeal of something, and then when forced to do it by the court, then try to take credit for what you just opposed..

That would be a Democrat..
Quote:
You post also contained some confusing, false information:

"Occurred after the Log Cabin Republicans had a court order its removal." That's not a sentence, but I took it to mean that you were implying Congress did not in fact repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell, but rather that it was repealed in response to a lawsuit by the Log Cabin Republicans.

That's just plain untrue. The ban on gays in the military ended on September 20th, 2011 when the Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repeal Act of 2010 went into effect. 9 days later, the lawsuit you mention was dismissed as being moot.

A COURT ORDERED ITS REMOVAL..

9 days later, wow.. they had decades to remove it, and 9 days after a COURT ORDERED IT HAPPEN, then they supported it.

What I said isnt at all false, nor confusing, its a FACT.. You choose to ignore it, but then note my response to the first paragraph above.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:11 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,772,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yeah, you are gonna be in the wrong on this one, the definition of marriage has been changed before in this country...
I don't ever recall an instance when the definition of marriage as being between a man and a woman had been changed before Massachusetts did it in 2004.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:22 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,770,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The ruling will not help/hurt Republicans on the issue either way it goes. The reason is because the media will continue gotcha questions no matter what the SCOTUS does. If they overturn bans, the question to GOP pols whether they think the SCOTUS got it wrong, would they vote for legislation to overturn it, etc. If the SCOTUS upholds the bans, the question will be do you support the SCOTUS decision, will you vote to appoint more fascist anti-gay thugs to the SCOTUS, etc. And they'll keep asking the same people until they "get" them, even if it takes repeating the question a million times.
I doubt the media will have to ask a million times to get a quote-worthy response.

You might wish they'd shut up, but the fact is that certain GOP talking heads call down fire and brimstone on gay heads with no prompting at all.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:57 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,214,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
I don't ever recall an instance when the definition of marriage as being between a man and a woman had been changed before Massachusetts did it in 2004.
It once was defined by race, where one couldn't marry outside of their race. But you know that. Regardless, SSM will soon be legal and it will continue to have zero effect on your life unless you happen to be gay and wishing to have a same sex marriage with your partner.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:43 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,904,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
As a Democrat, it is a bind I am okay with, and I bet most other Democrats and liberals will be just fine with this bind. Though even with it being legal, I doubt we would hear too many GOP and right wingers that have been against SSM to simply change their tune because of the decision.
Without social issues, the Democrat party has no purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies