Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 01:39 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times

Advertisements

If they are leaking this out, this is very likely the way this will end up.

Quote:
Feds to block Comcast-Time Warner merger

Staff attorneys at the Justice Department’s antitrust division are nearing a recommendation to block Comcast Corp.’s bid to buy Time Warner Cable Inc., according to people familiar with the matter.

Attorneys who are investigating Comcast’s $45.2 billion proposal to create a nationwide cable giant are leaning against the merger out of concerns that consumers would be harmed and could submit their review as soon as next week, said the people. The final decision about the deal will be made by the division’s senior officials.
I do not agree with the Obama administration about much, but this is a good decision. Being a conservative, but not a libertarian, I believe in efficient, effective, limited government (unlike the kind we have now), including regulatory oversight of business activities and transactions that can harm the consumer. It is desireable to avoid monopolies or excessive concentrations of power with individual companies such as Comcast.

The consummation of this transaction will create a behemoth with near monopoly powers across wide sections of the country. Comcast is, in my opinion, the worst company in America from a customer service perspective. I am not exaggerating. On my list they are #1 in that, and have been for quite a few years now.

So, assuming this decision goes through like the article suggests, let me take this rare opportunity to say:

Well done, President Obama!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 01:41 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,979,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post

I do not agree with the Obama administration about much, but this is a good decision. Being a conservative, but not a libertarian, I believe in efficient, effective, limited government (unlike the kind we have now), including regulatory oversight of business activities and transactions that can harm the consumer. It is desireable to avoid monopolies or excessive concentrations of power with individual companies such as Comcast.

The consummation of this transaction will create a behemoth with near monopoly powers across wide sections of the country. Comcast is, in my opinion, the worst company in America from a customer service perspective. I am not exaggerating. On my list they are #1 in that, and have been for quite a few years now.

So, assuming this decision goes through like the article suggests, let me take this rare opportunity to say:

A merger would be very bad news.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:11 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Just like the XM/Sirius merger was!!!!!!

MADE SIRIUS WORSE AND DESTROYED XM!!

Old 04-17-2015, 03:16 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post

Presidents dont have anything to do with stuff like this.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:24 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post

And then you don't get another choice, because government makes it impossible to compete, with bottomless pockets.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:33 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
I hate Comcast and will never give that corporation another dime. Mergers like this one are always bad for the consumer.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:55 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,310,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post

What do you care ?? It is DIGITAL radio ...

Old 04-17-2015, 06:01 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,832,525 times
Comcast doesn't need any more money.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:14 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
What do you care ?? It is DIGITAL radio ...
Because you pay for it.

That said, I've got XM and I can't tell the difference in programming since it fell under Sirius.

Their billing department sucks though. I've got 5 units and my bill has been screwed up for 7 or 8 years.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:17 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,327,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Comcast doesn't need any more money.
I don't begrudge Comcast a single dime, what I do begrudge was the potential strangle hold over the entire scope of modern entertainment, and communications. Simply compare what the respective conglomerates already own then think about what a merged Comcast Time Warner would have meant.

List of assets owned by Comcast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of assets owned by Time Warner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies