Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 12:04 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times

Advertisements

FORT WORTH, TEXAS — A knife-wielding criminal got more than he bargained for when he told a 74-year-old woman that he wanted what was in her purse.

While the woman, Jewell Turner, was in her mini van outside of her doctors office, a man came up to her window and tapped on the glass. Putting down her window, the man asked her for directions and she politely gave them to him.

When she turned her head, the man put a knife to her throat.

“He said, ‘I don’t want to hurt you, but I want your money. And I will hurt you if I have to,’” Turner said.

From her pockets, Jewell Turner could only offer the man less than $2 in change. When he demanded what was in her purse, she looked in and pulled out one of two items that could help her in this situation.

The first item she saw was a knife that belonged to her husband.

She quickly realized that in her current situation, the 2nd option in her purse would be the better one.

“I seen the gun laying there. And I figured that would work better than the knife,” Turner said. “I just reached down, got the gun and turned around and pointed it to his face. And I told him, I said, ‘You back off, or I’ll blow your head off.’ And his eyes got big and he just backed up and he took off walking down the street like nothing happened.”
http://concealednation.org/2015/04/g...ave-it-to-him/

Above is the heart of the concealed weapon argument. Letting someone who is incapable of protecting themselves from a physically stronger aggressor. Evening the playing field for women, the elderly, those with disabilities who are most at risk from an attacker being able to protect themselves from the scum that will always be part of society.

Last edited by shooting4life; 04-22-2015 at 12:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 12:08 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Link?

Old 04-22-2015, 12:15 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
FORT WORTH, TEXAS — A knife-wielding criminal got more than he bargained for when he told a 74-year-old woman that he wanted what was in her purse.

While the woman, Jewell Turner, was in her mini van outside of her doctors office, a man came up to her window and tapped on the glass. Putting down her window, the man asked her for directions and she politely gave them to him.

When she turned her head, the man put a knife to her throat.

“He said, ‘I don’t want to hurt you, but I want your money. And I will hurt you if I have to,’” Turner said.

From her pockets, Jewell Turner could only offer the man less than $2 in change. When he demanded what was in her purse, she looked in and pulled out one of two items that could help her in this situation.

The first item she saw was a knife that belonged to her husband.

She quickly realized that in her current situation, the 2nd option in her purse would be the better one.

“I seen the gun laying there. And I figured that would work better than the knife,” Turner said. “I just reached down, got the gun and turned around and pointed it to his face. And I told him, I said, ‘You back off, or I’ll blow your head off.’ And his eyes got big and he just backed up and he took off walking down the street like nothing happened.”

Above is the heart of the concealed weapon argument. Letting someone who is incapable of protecting themselves from a physically stronger aggressor. Evening the playing field for women, the elderly, those with disabilities who are most at risk from an attacker being able to protect themselves from the scum that will always be part of society.
Good for her and glad she was able to defend herself. That said if she had been walking down the street with the gone open carried the odds are the criminal would have simply attacked her from behind and taken her gun away from her, robbed her and maybe shot her with he own gun. That is why in my humble opinion the best way for most people to carry is concealed so that they have the weapon but also the element of surprise. Yes there are people that are alert and in good shape and open carry is just fine, but when people talk about everyone doing so I believe it is a very bad idea.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Link?

Link added to OP

Old 04-22-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Good for her and glad she was able to defend herself. That said if she had been walking down the street with the gone open carried the odds are the criminal would have simply attacked her from behind and taken her gun away from her, robbed her and maybe shot her with he own gun. That is why in my humble opinion the best way for most people to carry is concealed so that they have the weapon but also the element of surprise. Yes there are people that are alert and in good shape and open carry is just fine, but when people talk about everyone doing so I believe it is a very bad idea.
Generally I agree that concealed carry is the best method of carry, but I think it is best to leave that decision to the person who is doing the carrying.

In places with open carry the being shot with your own weapon is so rare that it is not really worth worrying about.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:17 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,505 times
Happened just last week.... you wont find these stories in national media. You have to comb the local news sources, and they are everyday occurrences.

Mugging victim opens fire on suspects; one shot, two flee - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Two men are on the loose and a third suspect is in the hospital after an alleged robbery victim fought back.
A woman was approached by three men as she returned home from work in the 3300 block of W. 34th Street around 1 a.m. Friday. The men tried to rob her, but the woman fought back.
"I just heard them saying 'Shut up, be quiet, don't say anything' and the one here had a weapon," said the victim, Crystal.
She confronted the men with her own personal protection from the front seat of her SUV.
"I always come home late at night, but since I went to the grocery store last night, it was even later," she said. "He is the one that grabbed at me and when he did, I just reached and turned around and shot and they ran."
One of Crystal's bullets struck one of her three attackers.
Her father wanted his only daughter to be licensed to carry so she could protect herself.
"Honestly, I mostly carry it because my dad wanted me to. Now I'm glad I listened," Crystal said.
Metro police located and arrested robbery suspect 18-year-old Deon Smith who suffered a gunshot wound to his shoulder. The other men reportedly escaped through a hole in a fence.
"I never thought anything like this in my life would happen," Crystal said.
Although a little shaken up, she hopes her willingness to protect herself sends a strong message to other women about staying alert and defending themselves.
"Learn how to protect yourself if you don't know how. Be more aware. I wasn't paying attention to my surroundings at all," Crystal said.
Police are still looking for the two other suspects. Police found items in the suspects' SUV that match a robbery from earlier in the night at an apartment complex on Watergate Way. In that case, police say suspects hit a woman in the head with the handle of a gun and robbed her.
Police want to find those other two men before they strike again. Call Crime Stoppers at 317-262-TIPS.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:52 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Happened just last week.... you wont find these stories in national media. You have to comb the local news sources, and they are everyday occurrences.

Mugging victim opens fire on suspects; one shot, two flee - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Two men are on the loose and a third suspect is in the hospital after an alleged robbery victim fought back.
A woman was approached by three men as she returned home from work in the 3300 block of W. 34th Street around 1 a.m. Friday. The men tried to rob her, but the woman fought back.
"I just heard them saying 'Shut up, be quiet, don't say anything' and the one here had a weapon," said the victim, Crystal.
She confronted the men with her own personal protection from the front seat of her SUV.
"I always come home late at night, but since I went to the grocery store last night, it was even later," she said. "He is the one that grabbed at me and when he did, I just reached and turned around and shot and they ran."
One of Crystal's bullets struck one of her three attackers.
Her father wanted his only daughter to be licensed to carry so she could protect herself.
"Honestly, I mostly carry it because my dad wanted me to. Now I'm glad I listened," Crystal said.
Metro police located and arrested robbery suspect 18-year-old Deon Smith who suffered a gunshot wound to his shoulder. The other men reportedly escaped through a hole in a fence.
"I never thought anything like this in my life would happen," Crystal said.
Although a little shaken up, she hopes her willingness to protect herself sends a strong message to other women about staying alert and defending themselves.
"Learn how to protect yourself if you don't know how. Be more aware. I wasn't paying attention to my surroundings at all," Crystal said.
Police are still looking for the two other suspects. Police found items in the suspects' SUV that match a robbery from earlier in the night at an apartment complex on Watergate Way. In that case, police say suspects hit a woman in the head with the handle of a gun and robbed her.
Police want to find those other two men before they strike again. Call Crime Stoppers at 317-262-TIPS.
Of course, this does not fit the anti gunners agenda...

And lets not forget this one...

Uber driver, licensed to carry gun, shoots gunman in Logan Square - Chicago Tribune

Old 04-22-2015, 04:23 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Another example of the kind of thing the anti gun nuts say never happens. They say that no gun owner could ever resist shooting an attacker when defending themselves. This is just one of the millions of defensive gun uses that happen every year that don't result in anyone being shot, much less killed, and so don't add to the body count the gun banners love to quote.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Generally I agree that concealed carry is the best method of carry, but I think it is best to leave that decision to the person who is doing the carrying.

In places with open carry the being shot with your own weapon is so rare that it is not really worth worrying about.
I agree, hopefully those that do the CC testing will tell those that should hear it that open carry might not be the best method for some. People are people and so far there have been no real horror stories from places that do allow it, but the media will go nuts when it does, count on it.

As I said I agree with open carry, have done so in the past due my job and in the woods, really not all that big a deal for me and I could see times that open carry might be better than concealed but I doubt that applies to most people. Carry, no problem, just do it discreetly and be safe.

As I said earlier, so far so good, but we both know all it takes is one time and it hurts the cause.

Food for .... some things are best done at a low tone

Old 04-22-2015, 08:52 PM

Not the best film, best I have ever heard it said, we have tough and smart women here on Texas.
Her last statement says all that needs to be said:
youtube of lubys shooting female survivor - Bing Videos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies