Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,720 times

Advertisements

The death penalty debate is incredibly one sided- Death penalty makes people feel safer, but you have to look at it from ALL points of view. Why have the death penalty when rehabilitation would work just as well (they still may never be released, so it'd be the same as life sentences). The fact is that Criminals are sick people- not black and white evil versus bad. Deterrents are fine, but for the most part the people who will still be committing the crimes are the ones that need to be stopped the most. Sure, death penalty for rape would stop some jackass college kids from having their fun with roofies, but it wouldn't stop the people who are truly sick and rape as a compulsion (those are the ones who need to stop their actions)
As for the comparison to Saudi Arabia rates, do you know how the rape laws work? Most people who get raped will never see the inside of a courtroom due to the need for excessive amounts of witnesses to the event. So unless you rape someone in the middle of madison square garden, you're not gonna be arrested. Furthermore- Rape victims have been known to be punished for accusing someone of rape, getting lashes as their punishment. Some will never come forward. Comparing Saudi Arabia's rates to the US's as a proponent for the death penalty is not exactly the most solid argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 03:22 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Actually it's more efficient than beating or cutting someone to death. Less suffering for the crime victim if done properly.
I'm sure that's the major consideration in a murder, will the victim suffer more or less?

With a gun, you lose the contact with the person and they become objectified.
_________
nantucket, rapes are frequently not reported in the states, either.
Want to go to court and have your life put on trial?
Want to go through all of that and see the rapist go free?
Rape: the gift that keeps on giving.

Statistics | RAINN | Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network
Sexual Assault Numbers

* In 2006, there were 272,350 victims of sexual assault.
* Every 2 minutes, someone in the U.S. is sexually assaulted.

Reporting to Police

* 60% of sexual assaults are not reported to the police.
* Reporting has increased by 1/3 since 1993.

About Victims

* 1 in 6 women and 1 in 33 men will be a victim of sexual assault in their lifetime.
* College age women are 4 times more likely to be sexually assaulted.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:48 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I'm sure that's the major consideration in a murder, will the victim suffer more or less?

With a gun, you lose the contact with the person and they become objectified.
_________
nantucket, rapes are frequently not reported in the states, either.
Want to go to court and have your life put on trial?
Want to go through all of that and see the rapist go free?
Rape: the gift that keeps on giving.

Statistics | RAINN | Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network
Sexual Assault Numbers

* In 2006, there were 272,350 victims of sexual assault.
* Every 2 minutes, someone in the U.S. is sexually assaulted.

Reporting to Police

* 60% of sexual assaults are not reported to the police.
* Reporting has increased by 1/3 since 1993.

About Victims

* 1 in 6 women and 1 in 33 men will be a victim of sexual assault in their lifetime.
* College age women are 4 times more likely to be sexually assaulted.
One thing I've always wondered is if no one's reporting these crimes, where do the stats come from?

Old 07-02-2008, 09:05 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
One thing I've always wondered is if no one's reporting these crimes, where do the stats come from?
+1.
We have always had higher crime rates if you lump it all together. As I think it was, Yeledaf said we have cities more populous than some countries.

Theres places you wont hear of a murder for years & theres places it happens 3 times a day.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:23 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
These are the reported stats.
I know a LOT of women who have been raped and have never reported it.
Do you know what happens to the woman who reports a rape? Do you know what a court case is going to look like? Do you know how many rapists get sentenced?

Just imagine a man reporting a rape. What do you think that's going to look like?

There are numerous programs to support rape victims who do not go to the police.
If you and everyone you know is very fortunate, you'll never know about them.
But the stats aren't with you.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:13 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,815,197 times
Just a semantics question: what's the difference between robbery and burglary?

Old 07-03-2008, 08:51 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsburg View Post
Just a semantics question: what's the difference between robbery and burglary?

The first one is commited on a person the second one is commited on property. I think.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:58 AM

717 posts, read 773,846 times
Has anyone brought up a country like Italy? where Organized crime runs the Nation. Much like my home state of New Jersey.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:52 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
I am taking a criminalistics course this semester and something in the book struck me as very interesting. I am sure you have all heard that Europe is safer because they have no guns. Well, according to my book that's a myth. In fact violent crime in Europe has gone way up while violent crime in the USA has leveled off and in some cases decreased.
Crime is based on mobility and anonymity.

European states are extremely small, for example, the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg would fit in southern Ohio. Those countries have small populations and prior to the EU, little or no mobility. Even in Germany, which is the size of Oregon, the vast majority of people were born, raised and died in the same town. It's difficult to commit crimes ("crimes of passion" excepted) when everyone knows you, or knows of you or your family, and you know everyone.

Now that the borders are down and people can move freely and be anonymous, crime has risen (and will continue to rise).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies