Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 02:19 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Riots are not covered by insurance... guess again

Many of the businesses that got hit during the Ferguson riots closed for good
Commercial and homeowner policies generally cover losses caused by riots, including looting.

Most owners of commercial property will not lease commercial property without evidence of insurance.

Some businesses also carry business interuption insurance.

Insured losses in Ferguson have been estimated at about $5 billion.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:20 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,014,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayahuasca_mike View Post
Issues didnt start with the community and police coming in "Cracking heads of drug dealers and gangsters"...even such we see countess videos of whites resisting violently and not being murdered in return. Prime example below...this guy broke one cops jaw and managed to live and be arrested without tasers or bullets. Policemen aren't the courts, they dont get to decide if someone lives or dies when their lives arent in danger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7vke9rltfE

I think we all know what happens if a black guy cracks a white officer in the face. Death, no other option. The big, strong black bull is a threat to all that is white apparently.
Did you not hear the taser? I saw and heard it. The taser didn't work on the guy. I have also seen a lot of black guys attack white officers and not face death or a brutal beating.

Last edited by Devon011; 04-28-2015 at 02:43 PM..

Old 04-28-2015, 02:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Huh? What did the governor state? I am unaware of any statements made from the governor, but then again I am not really following this riot.
Then maybe you should since you have been actively posting comments.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:23 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The real problem isn't that Freddie died in police custody. It's that we have a "justice" system that let such a "person" stay outside of prison in the first place. He was a multi-time violent felon and drug dealer. No user, dealer:

Read more at snopes.com: Freddie Gray Arrest Record, Criminal History, and Rap Sheet

Had the justice system done it's job and kept this animal behind bars where he couldn't prey on innocent people, he wouldn't be dead right now Granted the morons in Baltimore would have most likely found some other excuse to riot and loot anyway.
Possession, selling drugs and gambling. All things the state profits off of.

6,476 posts, read 7,323,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
You guys ain't seen nothing yet. This race rioting is very limited. Wait until the food flow or electricity stops for a few days on a regional or widespread basis, for whatever reason. Just 3-5 days, not a zombie apocolypse, just a delivery or large disaster. The welfare food stamp folks, the "takers" behind all these riots, will overwhelm authorities. The veil of civilization will unravel in multiple cities at once.

Glad I don't live in a big city.

Meanwhile hey I got an idea. Don't run from cops and you won't get shot. Don't be a drug dealing scumbag with 15 arrests who resists arrest and you won't get beaten to death.

What a concept.
Are you saying that, if you run from the cops or deal drugs that you do deserve to get shot? (BTW, Gray was beaten to death, not shot.)

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Then maybe you should since you have been actively posting comments.
That doesn't mean I am actively following this story, but I did watch the video of the speech the mayor made on the OP post that was just absorbed into this other thread....though with that said, I doubt I will bother to keep up with this thread simply because I am not following this story.

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyTwo View Post
How about these areas and the people within them stop giving the police a reason to go in there and bust there heads open?

Cops beat on drug dealers and criminals? You dont say. It sucks that innocent people get stuck in it, but thats the way it is.

No change until the community itself changes.

Just my 2 cents here. The so-called war on drugs certainly hasn't helped matters. I think it really is time to rethink our stance. A substance like pot for example should not be illegal! Secondly, it seems that most big cities have some of the strictest gun laws in the country. There are good people that live in crappy neighborhoods who fear retaliation from folks with alterior motives. It's the old "snitches get stitches" mantra! Give power back to the people in those neighborhoods and the blessing to defend themselves from criminal elements. Let's face it, the cops aren't always around when you need them!

Old 04-28-2015, 02:25 PM

862 posts, read 519,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Just my 2 cents here. The so-called war on drugs certainly hasn't helped matters. I think it really is time to rethink our stance. A substance like pot for example should not be illegal! Secondly, it seems that most big cities have some of the strictest gun laws in the country. There are good people that live in crappy neighborhoods who fear retaliation from folks with alterior motives. It's the old "snitches get stitches" mantra! Give power back to the people in those neighborhoods and the blessing to defend themselves from criminal elements. Let's face it, the cops aren't always around when you need them!
The legalization and taxing of all drugs would be a great start. Ending egregious welfare programs that create a culture of reliance and entitlement would help too.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:26 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The real problem isn't that Freddie died in police custody. It's that we have a "justice" system that let such a "person" stay outside of prison in the first place. He was a multi-time violent felon and drug dealer. No user, dealer:

Read more at snopes.com: Freddie Gray Arrest Record, Criminal History, and Rap Sheet

Had the justice system done it's job and kept this animal behind bars where he couldn't prey on innocent people, he wouldn't be dead right now Granted the morons in Baltimore would have most likely found some other excuse to riot and loot anyway.
Prolly just trying to access his stock.

Probably sells cigarettes.

"Simple breaking and entering into a dwelling or storehouse without specific intent to commit an additional crime is fourth-degree burglary."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burglary#Maryland

Old 04-28-2015, 02:26 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Have at it:

https://www.fema.gov/national-incide...agement-system

Emergency management flows from the bottom up-local, county, state, federal. You don't skip steps.

Could Hogan have declared a State of Emergency sooner? Certainly but he was deferring to the Mayor, which is policy.

That State of Emergency has to be coupled with a request from the Mayor for deployment of the National Guard. Absent that they can only patrol State owned properties and roads and have to leave the local assets to the local departments. Why you saw MD Transit Police and MSP in the City was due to interjurisdictional agreements which have been implemented over the years. Most Counties and municipalities in MD have them with each other. That's purely financial.

This is all fairly new, since Katrina, because of the multiple screw ups then. Most of which were at the State and local levels.
Still didn't see anything about a LAW that people keep reciting. I saw this:
Quote:
Incidents typically begin and end locally, and they are managed daily at the lowest possible geographical, organizational, and jurisdictional level. There are other instances where success depends on the involvement of multiple jurisdictions, levels of government, functional agencies, and/or emergency-responder disciplines. These instances necessitate effective and efficient coordination across this broad spectrum of organizations and activities. By using NIMS, communities are part of a comprehensive national approach that improves the effectiveness of emergency management and response personnel across the full spectrum of potential threats and hazards (including natural hazards, terrorist activities, and other human-caused disasters) regardless of size or complexity.
The idea that a Governor needs permission from a mayor to declare a state of emergency is nonsense. I live in NC, we get hurricanes (without riots, btw). The governor declares a state of emergency when needed. Could you imagine if he had to get every little po-dunk mayor to give him permission? It's not how it works.

Is it "good form"? Sure, but again, when you are in (as the Gov stated) in "constant contact" with the mayor, and either you fail to bring it up, or you are unable to convince her of the severity of the situation, then that is a failure on your leadership. Further failing to do anything about it. It's on him.

It does not give her a pass either. She failed (not debatable IMO). But so did he. He let chit happen in his state. After giving protocol a chance, he decided to kick back and watch the chaos, rather than do something about it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies