Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2015, 06:54 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times

Advertisements

A couple of things....

Someone posted Freddie Gray's rap sheet on this thread. Maybe I'm wrong, but with the exception of a burglary and trespassing charge most of those offenses appeared to be drug offenses, in which I consider non-violent offenses. In the case of drug offenses I have a hard time continuing our stupid drug war, and continuing to prosecute people. One of them was a marijuana charge? Come on! Really? When are we going to wise up and end this war on a plant? The burglary charge? Yes...I have a problem with that, and consider that a major offense! Everything else that I saw on the rap sheet is non-violent, and we really need to rethink our stance on the war on drugs. OK I'm off of my soap box now. Moving on....

From what I understand this guy made eye contact with the cops and took off running. Do we know why? Did he have an outstanding warrant? If not, then why the hell did he run? Are drug charges worthy of roughing up the guy to the point where his spine was damaged to the point that it caused his death?

Now... make no mistake, this by no means excuses the actions of those who rioted, looted, burned stuff down, and destroyed the neighborhood. It is counter-productive, and it's crazy to think that it will change the cops, and soften up on procedures when detaining someone. In fact, it may do the opposite, and further grow the police state! Don't we have enough bulls*** and uneccessary laws as it is? Having said that, when you resort to destruction and the harming of innocent people, you lose credibility with me, and I'm in the camp of "you loot, we shoot!" That is the only thing that will stop those who are using this as an excuse to create mayhem!

Finally, I've said it before, and it bears repeating! If you want change, then it starts at the TOP! It starts with those who employ the cops to do their bidding, and enforce their legislated bunch of nanny state BS! Electing the same ol' same ol' and expecting different results especially in a city like Baltimore where it has been ruled by one party for years is the definition of insanity!

Just someone trying to see and make some sense of both sides of the issue!

Old 04-29-2015, 07:08 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Where are you hearing that? I don't know anyone stupid enough to blame what's happening in Baltimore on Republicans. Especially when the city has had a Dem mayor and city council for decades.
There was an article up on CNN last night, I should have linked it.

It referenced Republicans not giving funding to fight inner city poverty.

I'm all for diversion and after school programs but that is the responsibility of local government imo.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:11 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
The network that brought you the "unbiased" moderator Candy Crowley was trying to pass blame to the (Republican) governor.
Business as usual.

When the Feds, the state and the city ALL screwed up with Hurricane Katrina.....Mayor Nagin came out of it "the hero" while the rest were (rightfully) pilloried for their failures.

He then managed to parlay that into a prison term for taking bribes but hey....it's Louisiana...that's kinda par for the course.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:14 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,448,273 times
Everytime a person gets robbed by a drug user to get money to buy DRUGS from people like Gray, selling drugs becomes a VIOLENT crime.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
A couple of things....

Someone posted Freddie Gray's rap sheet on this thread. Maybe I'm wrong, but with the exception of a burglary and trespassing charge most of those offenses appeared to be drug offenses, in which I consider non-violent offenses. In the case of drug offenses I have a hard time continuing our stupid drug war, and continuing to prosecute people. One of them was a marijuana charge? Come on! Really? When are we going to wise up and end this war on a plant? The burglary charge? Yes...I have a problem with that, and consider that a major offense! Everything else that I saw on the rap sheet is non-violent, and we really need to rethink our stance on the war on drugs. OK I'm off of my soap box now. Moving on....

From what I understand this guy made eye contact with the cops and took off running. Do we know why? Did he have an outstanding warrant? If not, then why the hell did he run? Are drug charges worthy of roughing up the guy to the point where his spine was damaged to the point that it caused his death?

Now... make no mistake, this by no means excuses the actions of those who rioted, looted, burned stuff down, and destroyed the neighborhood. It is counter-productive, and it's crazy to think that it will change the cops, and soften up on procedures when detaining someone. In fact, it may do the opposite, and further grow the police state! Don't we have enough bulls*** and uneccessary laws as it is? Having said that, when you resort to destruction and the harming of innocent people, you lose credibility with me, and I'm in the camp of "you loot, we shoot!" That is the only thing that will stop those who are using this as an excuse to create mayhem!

Finally, I've said it before, and it bears repeating! If you want change, then it starts at the TOP! It starts with those who employ the cops to do their bidding, and enforce their legislated bunch of nanny state BS! Electing the same ol' same ol' and expecting different results especially in a city like Baltimore where it has been ruled by one party for years is the definition of insanity!

Just someone trying to see and make some sense of both sides of the issue!

Old 04-29-2015, 07:16 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,271,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There was an article up on CNN last night, I should have linked it.

It referenced Republicans not giving funding to fight inner city poverty.

I'm all for diversion and after school programs but that is the responsibility of local government imo.

So if a Republicans give MORE money for a bigger welfare state thugs wouldn't destroy and burn their own communities? LOL

Clinton's answer was to build more basketball courts and have it open 24/7. Midnight basketball, that will do it!....

Old 04-29-2015, 07:17 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Memphis.

Atlanta if you just want "Major" cities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Unlikely in the case of Atlanta.

Memphis perhaps.
Another vote for Memphis. Had to bring my daughter there for some chorus thing once. Felt very unsafe hanging around downtown and there was building after building empty downtown. I feel safer in NOLA and let's be honest, NOLA isn't exactly a hotbed of safety.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:19 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,108,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Yep! LOL It's all the cops fault....nobody else...
Must be, because Obama says so. No mention of those who destroyed property, vehicles and wounded police officers to take responsibility for their actions.

Sympathy and excuses for the rioters, condemnation for the police.

Obama: police must hold officers accountable for wrongdoing

I'm waiting for him to sign an Executive Order that puts him in charge of the police throughout the US.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:23 AM

818 posts, read 1,017,440 times
Some advice in B-town. Do not feed the liberals. Keep your fingers out of the cage. Keep moving. Don't look at people or make eye contact. Don't give police a reason to harass you, especially if not white.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:23 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
A couple of things....

One thing about this push to end the war on drugs. So many people do not work, do not take care of their kids, and generally do nothing due to their abuse of drugs. Do we really think that making drugs legal will suddenly change all of that? Would it exacerbate that? I think the middle class suburban person who wants their weed legal is trying to act like legalizing drugs will solve all problems - both with urban crime and black incarceration rates. I am not so pollyanna on the whole thing. If you were a productive person before the legalization of drugs, you'll continue to be productive. If you weren't, you will continue to be non-productive. The legalization of drugs will do nothing to clean up neighborhoods like this one in Baltimore. If you want to end the war on drugs, there should be some honesty on the impact it would have on the population.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:29 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
Everytime a person gets robbed by a drug user to get money to buy DRUGS from people like Gray, selling drugs becomes a VIOLENT crime.....

Yes. Having a black market around it will do that! I mean, seriously what is the person that got robbed going to do? Call a cop?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies