Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is media at fault for increasing violence against cops by not waiting for both sides of the story to
The media should broadcast like they are doing now, they are doing a great job 12 34.29%
The media should stop the amount of broadcast like is going on now as it is giving thugs a platform. 13 37.14%
Media should wait until investigations have shown evidence 13 37.14%
Media should move to other subjects that are important 8 22.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 04:23 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times

Advertisements

If the media like for example CNN would broadcast less of people who are doing nothing then falsely accusing the cops prior to the investigations are over and showing the riots over and over and failing to get both sides of the story out, do you think the media is just as much as fault?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 04:26 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,837,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
If the media like for example CNN would broadcast less of people who are doing nothing then falsely accusing the cops prior to the investigations are over and showing the riots over and over and failing to get both sides of the story out, do you think the media is just as much as fault?
lol falsely accusing. thats the conservative white male's number 1 talking about.

the violence is a reaction to crooked cops who kill people and think they can get away with it.

and white conservative males, notice i said crooked cops, not cops. i know the conservative white male will try to twist those words so im making the difference now so they cant play that card.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:32 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Ah yes, forget that first amendment, lets stifle the media from reporting things! Yup, that sounds like the American way all right. Oh wait...no it doesn't

Sigh.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:47 AM

45,425 posts, read 60,623,477 times
I'm going to ignore the stupid that was posted earlier and answer the question.

It's a hard balance to strike. I was watching the Baltimore CBS affiliate Saturday night and the reporter, as well as the anchor, were almost beside themselves with hyperbole.

Last night were the same reporters, and a couple more, and they were more restrained. I honestly believe they were surprised at what they saw.

In reality, the fact that the various news organizations were able to put people in place and they weren't attacked or accosted says that things, while out of control to an extent, weren't as bad as they could have been.

The DC CBS affiliate's reporter this morning was really focused on the looting of a wig shop.

Do I think that reporting on incidences, of any type, emboldens some people to do stupid things? Yes. I see it all the time when tropical storms are coming and people decide they have to come to the Bay and be stupid.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:51 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
the violence is a reaction to crooked cops who kill people and think they can get away with it.

the violence is an OVER reaction...in fact its terrorism

whether the cop is right or wrong...two wrongs don't make a right

peaceful protests...all for it

the terrorism, vandalism, burning, looting and rioting of these animals..... uncalled for

Old 04-28-2015, 04:56 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times
Why are people looting and destroying businesses to cause others to loose their job and is their hope to become one of them?

A bunch of criminals and losers. I feel that the excessive broadcasting is not helpful either as this group of losers is getting a platform.

In the Michael Brown case the facts were so different when the full investigation was done and still a large group doesn't want to listen to the evidence but just lives by media attention and getting their 15 minutes of fame by being on TV and looting and destroying stuff and saying BS.

I understand that what happened yesterday was news and needs to be broadcast but we switched the channel and started to watch Netflix as we don't want to look at losers destroying a city for no reason.

There is no excuse to harm people and destroy cars and businesses unless we are going back in time instead of dealing with wrong doings in a decent way to solve things for the future.

lets get the evidence out first to see how Freddy died. Many drug addicts die from the craziest things and bodily harm as they are so drugged up they have no clue what they are doing and feel no pain until their rush is over.

Have you seen his long list of drug related arrest? That is not a church boy who died.

If the cops are responsible then arrest and charge them and handle it through the court system and put them away.

Lets wait for evidence and not looting.

Now we have the bloods, cribs and some other crazy gangs getting more attention....

Old 04-28-2015, 06:11 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,839,004 times
I do think the media could tone things down a bit, but in this age, if it bleeds it leads. In the rush to be the first to report on a story things get twisted and are often reported inaccurately. You don't see too many journalists issue corrections or retractions nearly as proudly as they did the first reports.

I agree that the media and citizens should wait for evidence to be released, but that won't stop the opinion types from setting the tone. I do doubt that the people rioting in Baltimore were sitting down watching Maddow or O'Reily and then decided to tear the place up. Those are people just looking for an excuse to be animals.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:14 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times
I believe the Mayor gave the green light to destroy the city! The people have brains, they just need to use them.

I would like to know who told these kids to do this, seems the Mayor has an idea!

Old 04-28-2015, 06:31 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,303,880 times
I don't know you can expect media to not cover events.

I do wish the 24 hour news channel would switch back to regular programming when nothing is actually happening. Talking heads droning on and speculating is boring and bad news; in fact it isn't news.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:52 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
lol falsely accusing. thats the conservative white male's number 1 talking about.

and white conservative males, notice i said crooked cops, not cops. i know the conservative white male will try to twist those words so im making the difference now so they cant play that card.

I'm not downplaying the fact that there are crooked cops, because there are plenty. But, let's not forget something here. Who do you think is giving the cops their marching orders, and legislating things such as "stop and frisk?" That's right, YOUR ELECTED OFFICIALS!!! Change those at the top, and you may reign in a lot of the problems! But by no means does that give ANYONE the right to destroy their community, private businesses, or harm innocent people! All that does is cause those causing the mayhem to lose support of the general public, not to mention it will cause those who make the laws to give the cops even more power to crack down even more! And finally it does nothing but continue to feed the stereotypes, which creates more dissension!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies