Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 02:28 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times

Advertisements

With all of this 24 hour "news" coverage on police shootings this is the first time I have seen actual racial statistics on police shootings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 02:28 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Kind blows the Ol' we are targeted argument to hell doesn't it?
People don't care about that...you know facts....

Old 05-03-2015, 04:55 PM

57,296 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Since they are disproportionately represented in criminal activity it stands to reason they will be disproportionately represented as a group by shot cops.

If you have 3000 whites that committed murder and 3000 blacks that committed murder you'd expect to have similar amount from both groups being shot by the police, yes?
It's more complicated than that, how do you account for 12 percent of the population being killed at a rater of around 50%. I know there is more black crime but that differential has not been explained.

Also the killing of what are essentially non-violent criminals as in recent events in South Carolina, Baltimore and Oklahoma.

There are only a few bad cops, the problem is that they are never held accountable and it's not just against blacks.

Marijuana arrest rates for blacks are more than 4 times higher than for whites although both races use equally.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:02 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It's more complicated than that, how do you account for 12 percent of the population being killed at a rater of around 50%. I know there is more black crime but that differential has not been explained.

Also the killing of what are essentially non-violent criminals as in recent events in South Carolina, Baltimore and Oklahoma.

There are only a few bad cops, the problem is that they are never held accountable and it's not just against blacks.

Marijuana arrest rates for blacks are more than 4 times higher than for whites although both races use equally.
I've been assaulted and illegally searched over it. If they don't respect your rights, and the courts don't believe your story, your s__ out of luck in this country.

That's a big issue in this country. The Police are given the benefit of the doubt.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:12 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Okay, so I'm going through the Killed By Police site looking through statistics.

In April 2015, there were 96 people killed by police. Of those, 29 were white, 25 were black, 11 were Latino, 1 was Indigenous, and 30 did not have a race or ethnicity listed. Also, 95 of them were male and 1 was female.

I'll go through the list for previous months when I have time.
The number's you are quoting ( since I saw no link to substantiate them) must be from that 17% of all American Police departments that actually report their shooting..Since Ferguson and the realization that Police are NOT required to report the killing of a suspect or anyone they shot for that matter...So a group started to capture police killing data across the nation...and it's rather telling.. It full of stats from state to state and likelihoods of being shot etc..graphs/ maps and stats.....full report, unarmed victims, comparisons ..It's all there for your perusal This police violence and abuse of power goes way way beyond race..It's a socio-economic problem..Lower class get treated far differently than upper class..regardless of your race..It's just the Racial divide has been institutionalized with segregations into one area in certain cities for decades...

Mapping Police Violence

snip~
At least 304 black people were killed by police in the United States in 2014.

Get the facts about police violence in your community to make the case for change.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:14 PM

57,296 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I've been assaulted and illegally searched over it. If they don't respect your rights, and the courts don't believe your story, your s__ out of luck in this country.

That's a big issue in this country. The Police are given the benefit of the doubt.
It goes far beyond reasonable doubt, we had a police officer that planted a gun at a crime scene and was allowed to remain on the job. Two off duty officers were drinking all night and shot an unarmed cab driver in a road rage incident, they were not fired for several years.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It goes far beyond reasonable doubt, we had a police officer that planted a gun at a crime scene and was allowed to remain on the job. Two off duty officers were drinking all night and shot an unarmed cab driver in a road rage incident, they were not fired for several years.
Indeed Goodnight..It's the power structure ( oligarchy) who wield it..and get laws passed to protect it..while the rest of the citizens get Judged by a "Rigged System" that punishes lower folk for doing much much less!!! Unfair and Unjust..So much for equal liberty under the law

Old 05-03-2015, 07:22 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
And we're worried about "terrorists" on the other side of the planet?

Good news is thanks to phone cameras, independent reporting, etc. people are waking up.
And this not a race issue, its government cops vs. the people.
The problem with cell phone cameras, is that you never see anyone video recording the "mundane" --(the events that lead up to the takedown, the chase, the head bashing and the shots fired)..

You get video of the "present action" but nobody has the video of the perp/criminal grabbing the cops gun, grabbing his taser, slamming the door on the officer, running through the neighborhood,... no "cop haters" are interested in THAT video, just the part where the perp/criminal is on the ground and the cop is trying to subdue him....

Let's see some new videos of drug transactions on the corner, break-ins at somebody's house, passed-out drunks, and lazy hoodrats picking their low rise jeans out of their nether-regions...:P

Old 05-03-2015, 07:52 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
The number's you are quoting ( since I saw no link to substantiate them) must be from that 17% of all American Police departments that actually report their shooting..Since Ferguson and the realization that Police are NOT required to report the killing of a suspect or anyone they shot for that matter...So a group started to capture police killing data across the nation...and it's rather telling.. It full of stats from state to state and likelihoods of being shot etc..graphs/ maps and stats.....full report, unarmed victims, comparisons ..It's all there for your perusal This police violence and abuse of power goes way way beyond race..It's a socio-economic problem..Lower class get treated far differently than upper class..regardless of your race..It's just the Racial divide has been institutionalized with segregations into one area in certain cities for decades...

Mapping Police Violence

snip~
At least 304 black people were killed by police in the United States in 2014.

Get the facts about police violence in your community to make the case for change.
I used killedbypolice.net.

I'm just noting that in a lot of these protests, people are acting like being killed by police is a black problem, when it's really a societal function problem that affects black men somewhat harder than other groups. Making it the former is just going to fuel racism, whereas making it the latter will help everyone.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I used killedbypolice.net.

I'm just noting that in a lot of these protests, people are acting like being killed by police is a black problem, when it's really a societal function problem that affects black men somewhat harder than other groups. Making it the former is just going to fuel racism, whereas making it the latter will help everyone.
I think thats the whole pointSharks..While ,as you say..black folks seem to fall into the one's mostly affected...but then of course their is a long history of segregating them into large pockets ..which get heavy handed policing, profiled for walking down the street..But it's also unfairness of how the law is delivered after that..Higher bonds, longer sentences. Then of course the mass roundups of groups, which catches many innocents just in wrong place at wrong time who somehow are treated guilty until proven innocent..then when charges dropped..It's on their record...It's as you say, a social-economic issue and money spent on things that doesn't benefit that group .

This is not so much a new thing..it's been going on for a very long time. and since there was no data on such abuse/killings by police. The past year or two has elevated the issue to expose it for what it is. Electronic advances to allow everyday citizens to capture it to prove an accusation also helps. Accusations in the passed were easily disproved. But now, they are forced to coverup, spread lies/mistruths, blame victim, family of victim and then onto blame the messenger's when seeking justice...Hopefully changes can be made to help unravel this mess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies