Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the government redistribute wealth by higher taxes on the rich?
Yes 96 42.86%
No 122 54.46%
Unsure 6 2.68%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 01:39 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,191,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
Actually, tax policies had an insignificant effect on the shift to executive compensation through stock options. Instead, it was changes in corporate governance that had the significant effect
If the tax rate is high, they exercise those stock options and sit on the stock, thereby hoarding their wealth

If the tax rate is low, they will exercise the stock options and then sell the stock, thus paying taxes.

If doesnt have an effect on how the pay takes place, it does effect how its exercised and if taxes are paid or wealth is increased instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 01:43 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,407,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
o please...moving the goal posts again...typical lefty move

1. the poor pay nearly NOTING in income tax
2. the poor get MOST to all of payroll tax back
3. the utility taxes...again te way te fascist liberals kill the poor and middleclass
Actually the most common tactic I see here is people like you wanting to only discuss federal income taxes, and trotting out this. When someone talks total tax burden, your response is to accuse them of various things. Typical rightest move.

1. Funny, when I was extremely poor I remember paying nothing in federal, but then paying in significant amounts in social security, state, sales tax, and covering my landlords real estate taxes.

2. LOL, Really? Tell me how I did that before I had kids, and was renting....what deductions did I have?

3. fascist liberals killing the middle class....uh huh.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:44 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,343,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
This is not true.

Spoken like another right-winger who picks up his information from Fox News. Try living in the hood. It's not glamorous.
WOW!!! Presume much??? How do you know I'm a right winger? I'm not
How do you know I get my info from Fox? I don't
How do you know I've never lived in "the hood"? I have

SMDH

Old 05-06-2015, 01:45 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,777,779 times
Personally, I would like to see top tax rates return to 40%, and for capital gains taxes mirror those of the typical middle class worker. I think we need to also see what people ACTUALLY pay, the top rates don't mean much if folks have so many deductions and loopholes that they pay a fraction of the rate.

I am firmly in support of a progressive tax policy, but no one should ever pay more than 50% of their income in taxes, no matter how wealthy.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:51 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,888,240 times
Quote:
According to a new Gallop poll, 52% of Americans want to heavily tax the rich to redistribute wealth: 45% of Americans don't.

http://content.gallup.com/origin/gal...a6lb2qf7yg.gif

Americans Continue to Say U.S. Wealth Distribution Is Unfair

Enough is enough.The economy needs higher taxes on the rich. It's the only way it works.

Do you think our government should or should not redistribute wealth by heavy taxes on the rich?
ok, first of all the chart goes through only 2013 and these charts go up and down and these charts change faster than the stock market. Also you use the term "heavily" which is different than a higher % and third, you do realize, even if everyone pays 10% of their income to the feds, the rich would still be paying much more.

It appears you are not in the top income bracket or you might feel very differently. Why would you want to punish someone who has worked very hard to achieve success so those who choose not to work that hard benefit?

Old 05-06-2015, 02:07 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,603,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
ok, first of all the chart goes through only 2013 and these charts go up and down and these charts change faster than the stock market. Also you use the term "heavily" which is different than a higher % and third, you do realize, even if everyone pays 10% of their income to the feds, the rich would still be paying much more.

It appears you are not in the top income bracket or you might feel very differently. Why would you want to punish someone who has worked very hard to achieve success so those who choose not to work that hard benefit?
Boo hoo. Yes, I guess announcing layoffs to increase stock prices, and therefore increase compensation is working hard.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,583,836 times
Quote:
Boo hoo. Yes, I guess announcing layoffs to increase stock prices, and therefore increase compensation is working hard.
That is a corporation, not an individual.

Plenty of individuals work hard and save and invest so they can retire comfortably.
You also want to take their money too.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:13 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,603,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That is a corporation, not an individual.

Plenty of individuals work hard and save and invest so they can retire comfortably.
You also want to take their money too.
A corporation government structure includes the CEO, and shareholders, who all greatly benefit from increases in stock prices.

and yes.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:13 PM

42,867 posts, read 26,361,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Actually the most common tactic I see here is people like you wanting to only discuss federal income taxes, and trotting out this. When someone talks total tax burden, your response is to accuse them of various things. Typical rightest move.

1. Funny, when I was extremely poor I remember paying nothing in federal, but then paying in significant amounts in social security, state, sales tax, and covering my landlords real estate taxes.

2. LOL, Really? Tell me how I did that before I had kids, and was renting....what deductions did I have?

3. fascist liberals killing the middle class....uh huh.
^THIS

Old 05-06-2015, 02:22 PM

32,822 posts, read 19,518,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Personally, I would like to see top tax rates return to 40%, and for capital gains taxes mirror those of the typical middle class worker. I think we need to also see what people ACTUALLY pay, the top rates don't mean much if folks have so many deductions and loopholes that they pay a fraction of the rate.

I am firmly in support of a progressive tax policy, but no one should ever pay more than 50% of their income in taxes, no matter how wealthy.
the funniest ting is liberals are all supposed to be about equality and fairness

if liberals were actually about equality then they would be saying everyone should pay the same rate

why not tax everyone at the same rate

say 10% or 15%

the guy making 20k..pays 2k.....the guy making 1 million pay 100k....the guy like buffet making a billion pays 100 million

but liberals wont do that...with that they cant have their boogeyman of tax the rich

the problem with taxing income is that a good portion of income is never reported, therefore never taxed (((estimates vary between 17% (which is about 2 trillion in income) to 55% (which is over 9 trillion)))))

in order to get all income reported you would have to get all the ''off the books'' people/employers to start reporting all the income....this includes when you pay a babysitter $100 for watching your snotnosed kids for a Friday night.....pay her $100 and give her a 1099 with it

in order to get around this blackhole of income and have enough federal revenue to support the social programs you want, the alternate is forget about taxing income and tax spending instead.....by eliminating the income tax and the corporate tax, estate tax, and sin taxes and go to a consumption tax the federal revenue could be as high as 5 trillion...and it would hit the rich the most

think of the tax on that shiny new lexus, the rich guy buys

but the liberals will never think about it...they would lose their power to spin a boogeyman

Pass the Fair Tax | FAIRtax.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies