Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the government redistribute wealth by higher taxes on the rich?
Yes 96 42.86%
No 122 54.46%
Unsure 6 2.68%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 02:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Actually the most common tactic I see here is people like you wanting to only discuss federal income taxes, and trotting out this. When someone talks total tax burden, your response is to accuse them of various things. Typical rightest move.

1. Funny, when I was extremely poor I remember paying nothing in federal, but then paying in significant amounts in social security, state, sales tax, and covering my landlords real estate taxes.

2. LOL, Really? Tell me how I did that before I had kids, and was renting....what deductions did I have?

3. fascist liberals killing the middle class....uh huh.
I realized early on to move to a lower COL area.

I left NYC and moved to Florida. Had much more disposable income.
Was able to save and invest more rather than give more money up to taxes.
Big difference when you don't make a lot of money how much you give away in city and state taxes.

FICA is money you will get back when you retire.
Would you rather be able to opt out and have nothing when you turn 65/67 ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 02:32 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the funniest ting is liberals are all supposed to be about equality and fairness

if liberals were actually about equality then they would be saying everyone should pay the same rate

why not tax everyone at the same rate

say 10% or 15%

the guy making 20k..pays 2k.....the guy making 1 million pay 100k....the guy like buffet making a billion pays 100 million

but liberals wont do that...with that they cant have their boogeyman of tax the rich

the problem with taxing income is that a good portion of income is never reported, therefore never taxed (((estimates vary between 17% (which is about 2 trillion in income) to 55% (which is over 9 trillion)))))

in order to get all income reported you would have to get all the ''off the books'' people/employers to start reporting all the income....this includes when you pay a babysitter $100 for watching your snotnosed kids for a Friday night.....pay her $100 and give her a 1099 with it

in order to get around this blackhole of income and have enough federal revenue to support the social programs you want, the alternate is forget about taxing income and tax spending instead.....by eliminating the income tax and the corporate tax, estate tax, and sin taxes and go to a consumption tax the federal revenue could be as high as 5 trillion...and it would hit the rich the most

think of the tax on that shiny new lexus, the rich guy buys

but the liberals will never think about it...they would lose their power to spin a boogeyman

Pass the Fair Tax | FAIRtax.org
Odd....I pay the EXACT same rate on the first 20K of income as everyone else. Seems fair.

Well unless of course we compare earned to unearned income...then they pay less. You're right that doesn't seem fair..... Oh wait...thats not part of your argument at all

Old 05-06-2015, 02:41 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Odd....I pay the EXACT same rate on the first 20K of income as everyone else. Seems fair.

Well unless of course we compare earned to unearned income...then they pay less. You're right that doesn't seem fair..... Oh wait...thats not part of your argument at all
Great post but it won't be popular in this thread, it makes way too much sense

Old 05-06-2015, 02:49 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
A corporation government structure includes the CEO, and shareholders, who all greatly benefit from increases in stock prices.

and yes.
So why arent you a shareholder again?

Old 05-06-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Great post but it won't be popular in this thread, it makes way too much sense
It actually makes no sense, since most in the 20K income range pay ZERO.. to claim thats the exact same rate as someone who earns $100K is ridiculously wrong.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:59 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
It actually makes no sense, since most in the 20K income range pay ZERO.. to claim thats the exact same rate as someone who earns $100K is ridiculously wrong.
I pay the same rate as everyone else earning 100K. Does that help? I might pay less then some due to my mortgage deduction, kid, and wife....but anyone in the same situation pays that. I pay the EXACT same rate on my first 20K as everyone else....

People making 20K have a tax rate of 15%, plus another 6% for social security, plus the state tax rate. Single folks making 20K are paying taxes.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:09 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,686 times
The 52% are the people who camp out in front of stores for the latest iPhone and new sneakers every other year. The rich is not responsible for the choices others make. The rich got in their position because they made better choices. Even if they were born into a wealthy family, they took the opportunity given to them and ran with it. All people do is complain about unfairness. They use all of their energy destroying someone else life rather than make something of their own. People aren't honest with themselves. Blaming others is much easier than accepting that.

People make excuses while taking no responsibility for their actions. They spend money that isn't enough on consumer products. These same people camp out in front of stores on Black Friday for that good deal, fighting over items and pushing and shoving everyone that dares to make eye contact with them.

Redistributing wealth continues the cycle of people not being held accountable for the choices they make. The government do too many things as is and they are bad at most of them. People need to stop pointing fingers at everyone else and get their act together.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I pay the same rate as everyone else earning 100K. Does that help? I might pay less then some due to my mortgage deduction, kid, and wife....but anyone in the same situation pays that. I pay the EXACT same rate on my first 20K as everyone else....
So you first claim you pay the same rate, then you add a disclaimer which says you actually dont due to kids, mortgage deductions etc..
Quote:
People making 20K have a tax rate of 15%, plus another 6% for social security, plus the state tax rate. Single folks making 20K are paying taxes.
You switched from effective tax rate in your first paragraph, to now marginal tax rate, and under NO scenario is it the same rate as someone who earns $100K, with or without deductions.

Earn $20K, 15% tax rate (social security is a welfare program so you dont count that), so you actually pay $3,000, - Deductions you usually pay ZERO..

Earn $100K, 15 tax rate on the first 20K, and whatever on the other 80K, so even with deductions if they pay more than $1 in taxes, they paid a higher rate than most who earn $20K do.. PERIOD..

Old 05-06-2015, 03:19 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
The 52% are the people who camp out in front of stores for the latest iPhone and new sneakers every other year. The rich is not responsible for the choices others make. The rich got in their position because they made better choices. Even if they were born into a wealthy family, they took the opportunity given to them and ran with it. All people do is complain about unfairness. They use all of their energy destroying someone else life rather than make something of their own. People aren't honest with themselves. Blaming others is much easier than accepting that.

People make excuses while taking no responsibility for their actions. They spend money that isn't enough on consumer products. These same people camp out in front of stores on Black Friday for that good deal, fighting over items and pushing and shoving everyone that dares to make eye contact with them.

Redistributing wealth continues the cycle of people not being held accountable for the choices they make. The government do too many things as is and they are bad at most of them. People need to stop pointing fingers at everyone else and get their act together.
Wealth is always redistributed in EVERY SOCIETY, there is no other way to run a government. Redistribution of wealth occurs when I pay taxes that go to run schools when I have no kids in school, or to fund a power plant or dam in an area other than where I live. Or to build a freeway which I will never use. Even in tribal societies, animals killed by a hunter were distributed among members of the tribe. In early agrarian societies a number of people tended to and benefited from the harvest of community farms, some crops would be given to those who could not participate in farming activities due to age or health reasons, they didn't tell their children to go plant their own corn if they wanted to eat geez.

If you want to make an argument about how wealth should be, or should not be redistributed then go for it, but to argue that redistribution of wealth is in some way evil is tantamount to saying that the premise upon which every society known to man has been built is somehow evil or corrupt.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:32 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the funniest ting is liberals are all supposed to be about equality and fairness

if liberals were actually about equality then they would be saying everyone should pay the same rate

why not tax everyone at the same rate

say 10% or 15%

the guy making 20k..pays 2k.....the guy making 1 million pay 100k....the guy like buffet making a billion pays 100 million

but liberals wont do that...with that they cant have their boogeyman of tax the rich

the problem with taxing income is that a good portion of income is never reported, therefore never taxed (((estimates vary between 17% (which is about 2 trillion in income) to 55% (which is over 9 trillion)))))

in order to get all income reported you would have to get all the ''off the books'' people/employers to start reporting all the income....this includes when you pay a babysitter $100 for watching your snotnosed kids for a Friday night.....pay her $100 and give her a 1099 with it

in order to get around this blackhole of income and have enough federal revenue to support the social programs you want, the alternate is forget about taxing income and tax spending instead.....by eliminating the income tax and the corporate tax, estate tax, and sin taxes and go to a consumption tax the federal revenue could be as high as 5 trillion...and it would hit the rich the most

think of the tax on that shiny new lexus, the rich guy buys

but the liberals will never think about it...they would lose their power to spin a boogeyman

Pass the Fair Tax | FAIRtax.org

If the liberal is truly about being fair, then everybody should be paying the same AMOUNT income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies