Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 09:32 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
How do you conflate this line of thought with the homeowner's association raising money for a new community pool? In that case, Amy gets to decide on the pool, not the tenant. I don't see the difference.
The HOA has a contract or agreement with the property owner, which is Amy. That's why Amy gets to decide on the pool. In this case, the renters are irrelevant.

FYI, I live in such a situation now. I rent a home in a HOA community. They do all types of things for which I, personally, am never notified. The ultimate responsibility for the home (and community) rests with those that own the property. Hence the name, home owners association. If I want a say, I need to become an owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 09:34 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,947 times
Amy could ameliorate the problem by choosing NOT to be an absentee landlord.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:38 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,792,616 times
Quote:
Yeah... I do understand that the added tax will eventually be passed along to the residents whether they rent or own, but shouldn't the decision on whether to raise the tax or not be left to the homeowners and not the tenants?
Depends on where Amy is registered to vote. Only registered voters are allowed to vote in the town elections.

After all, I have an interest in how this nation is run, so I should be able to vote in the house and senate leaderships' districts and states. Correct?

Old 05-09-2015, 09:57 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Let's say Anytown, USA, is holding a vote to decide whether or not to raise property taxes by some amount to fund the construction of a new school.

If Amy owns a house and rents it out to Bob and his family, but doesn't live in Anytown herself, who should be making the decision on whether or not to raise property taxes.

It sure seems to me like Amy should be the one voting... not Bob. But I'm pretty sure Bob would get to vote, not Amy (though I guess it depends where Amy is registered to vote; Let's just assume she is registered to vote elsewhere).

I don't really see a difference between this situation and if a Homeowner's Association were to vote on improving some aspect of the community. In that case, the property owners get a vote (and quite often weighted percentages based on the amount of square feet they own in the neighborhood/building or something).

I understand one is a private and the other is public, but philosophically it seems the same.

Thoughts?
Amy made a decision not live in Anytown. Everyone knows that the prerequisite for voting in an area is residing in that area. If Amy wanted a say in property taxes in Anytown she should have chosen to live either in the house she rented to Bob or in another property within city limits.

The voting laws make sense. Its people who live within a community that should be making vital decisions about police and fire protection, schools, parks, and municipal services.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:19 AM

3,260 posts, read 3,772,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Amy made a decision not live in Anytown. Everyone knows that the prerequisite for voting in an area is residing in that area. If Amy wanted a say in property taxes in Anytown she should have chosen to live either in the house she rented to Bob or in another property within city limits.

The voting laws make sense. Its people who live within a community that should be making vital decisions about police and fire protection, schools, parks, and municipal services.
I respectfully disagree. If we were talking about a sales tax or something else that RESIDENTS deal with, then the RESIDENTS should be making the decision. However, if the tax is on PROPERTY OWNERS, then the PROPERTY OWNERS should be making the decision. IMO.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I respectfully disagree. If we were talking about a sales tax or something else that RESIDENTS deal with, then the RESIDENTS should be making the decision. However, if the tax is on PROPERTY OWNERS, then the PROPERTY OWNERS should be making the decision. IMO.
You can say that all you want. It won't make it law. You want a vote, then become a legal resident. It's that simple.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:43 AM

3,260 posts, read 3,772,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You can say that all you want. It won't make it law. You want a vote, then become a legal resident. It's that simple.
I'm aware of the law. I am asking if people think it is fair. At one point the Stamp Act was law. Taxation without representation is one of the tenets that the revolutionary war was fought over.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:47 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
We had non-resident voting in some MD municipalities. The problem developed that the non-residents were making decisions detrimental to the interests of the residents (one trick was that investors were listing 20 or 30 people on a deed so they could all vote).

Non-resident voting was declared illegal in this Federal District Court case:

870 F2d 655 Tobin v. Town of North Beach M J T | OpenJurist

Old 05-09-2015, 10:50 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,125,290 times
Quote:
This would be another way to concentrate power for the wealthy and dilute the power of the poor.

Let's say Amy owns a 25-unit apartment building. What you want to do is allow Amy to vote only while the 25+ residents of the area are disenfranchised.

Even worse would be if Amy owns 25 different rental houses. You seem to want to let Amy vote 25 times while the renters have no vote. In this scenario, Absentee Amy would have 25 times more votes than a person who owned just one house in Anytown.

As pointed out earlier, the RESIDENTS of the area pay the taxes directly if they own the home, or indirectly if they rent.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I'm aware of the law. I am asking if people think it is fair. At one point the Stamp Act was law. Taxation without representation is one of the tenets that the revolutionary war was fought over.
Strangers on the internet thinking it's fair means nothing. If it bothers you that much, contact the legislators.

Personally, I think the law makes sense. Other people will think it makes sense. Perhaps you are the outlier??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies