Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 04:41 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times

Advertisements

Have you heard about this? It is from a religious Bible program called Child Evangelism Fellowship being taught at over 4000 public schools in 50 states. I heard someone talking about it. I had never even heard of it and was kind of shocked.

What do you think about this idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 05:34 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Have you heard about this? It is from a religious Bible program called Child Evangelism Fellowship being taught at over 4000 public schools in 50 states. I heard someone talking about it. I had never even heard of it and was kind of shocked.

From what I see, this program is part of the 'after school' programs.

After-School Good News Clubs

Good News Club

So, it is not part of the official school program. Nevertheless, if parents want their children to attend this after-school program, I'm glad they have the opportunity.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:01 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
I think your tax dollars don't support my Judaism, so mine shouldn't support your kids learning about Jesus.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:04 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
The government can't discriminate. If they open their doors to other groups after hours they have to do it for all. This has been going on since likely the very start of public schools. It's not something new.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:05 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I think your tax dollars don't support my Judaism, so mine shouldn't support your kids learning about Jesus.
Yours are free to start an after school club just the same as everyone.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:37 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I think your tax dollars don't support my Judaism
Actually...

Quote:

Israel-related not-for-profit organizations get more contributions than any
other type of Jewish agency, as the Forward reported last week. Now, new data from the Forward’s
ongoing investigation into the finances of 3,600 Jewish tax-exempt groups show
that donors alone don’t come close to paying for today’s sprawling charitable
apparatus.
While philanthropists enjoy the prominence that comes with seats on the
boards of charities and buildings named after them, they are actually just a
small part of the total Jewish funding picture. As the plurality of their
charity dollars go to Israel-related causes, health care and social service
groups subsist largely on government grants and contracts.
“They are the government’s delivery system,” said Jeffrey Solomon, president
of the Andrea and Charles Bronfman Philanthropies, of the community’s human
services agencies.
Jewish Charities Grow Huge on Cash From Government

Old 05-09-2015, 06:49 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The government can't discriminate. If they open their doors to other groups after hours they have to do it for all. This has been going on since likely the very start of public schools. It's not something new.
In the early days of the Republic, churches often doubled as the schoolhouse.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:04 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:

It is an after school program and while I have no problem using the facilities for the program I am dead set against one tax dollar being spent on the program.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:27 AM

934 posts, read 595,861 times
Quote:

Cool now we can be a christian version of Saudi Arabia

Old 05-09-2015, 08:57 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:

Nothing particularly new, and I am sure that most school districts have guidelines for the use of school facilities by activity groups, which include religious groups. As long as all groups are given the same opportunity to use school facilities, there's nothing wrong with it.

I wish more people who don't like fundamentalists evangelizing to children would get off their butts and sponsor after-school science clubs, or *true* religious-study groups, by which I mean studying *all* religions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies