Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 07:55 PM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times

Advertisements

"Study: Congress literally doesn’t care what you think"

I've noticed that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 08:33 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,980,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I would care what the average voter thinks either. Most people I've met don't know good policy from bad. They latch on to ONE issue and run with it as if that's EVERYTHING (like abortion for the liberals). They don't educate themselves WRT how policy impacts their lives. I would hope that our government is doing a better job of this than we are. I doubt they are but I can understand why they would not care about what John Q Public thinks. John Q. Public is an uneducated dolt who will follow any cause that is socially acceptable to his peer group. Lord help us if we ever have a system where decisions are made by popular vote. There are too many idiots out there who can be led by the nose if someone has the right social presence and in this day and age of social media that is VERY EASY to do.
Well I'm no fan of democracy, this post assumes our leaders in D.C. are making wise policy decision based on objective analysis of the facts on the ground and their ideals are grounded in the national interest. Instead what is going on is politicians are being bought by corporate interests and do the bidding of Wall St. and about 1% of Americans at the expense of the rest of us. Corporate interests in conjunction with complicit politicians are dismantling our civic institutions and regulatory apparatus to suit their needs. We go to war to benefit corporations, we destroy environmental protections, engage in "free" trade agreements, open the borders, etc. all to benefit a collection of multinational corporations.

So while I don't necessarily want pure democracy I also understand how dangerous the concentration of power and wealth into a small group of hands is to a nation. What we have in America today is effectively an oligarchy.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:00 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
Well I'm no fan of democracy, this post assumes our leaders in D.C. are making wise policy decision based on objective analysis of the facts on the ground and their ideals are grounded in the national interest. Instead what is going on is politicians are being bought by corporate interests and do the bidding of Wall St. and about 1% of Americans at the expense of the rest of us. Corporate interests in conjunction with complicit politicians are dismantling our civic institutions and regulatory apparatus to suit their needs. We go to war to benefit corporations, we destroy environmental protections, engage in "free" trade agreements, open the borders, etc. all to benefit a collection of multinational corporations.

So while I don't necessarily want pure democracy I also understand how dangerous the concentration of power and wealth into a small group of hands is to a nation. What we have in America today is effectively an oligarchy.
Yes, unfortunately what you say is 100% correct.

We live under an oligarchy in this country today, and some useful idiots beg for more.

Study: US is an oligarchy, not a democracy - BBC News

America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds - Washington Times

Old 05-10-2015, 11:39 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Yes, unfortunately what you say is 100% correct.

We live under an oligarchy in this country today, and some useful idiots beg for more.

Study: US is an oligarchy, not a democracy - BBC News

America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds - Washington Times
http://www.theatlantic.com/internati...-worse/371297/

http://www.bloombergview.com/article...o-or-democracy

Well, I agree with the observations and criticisms of America.

Chomsky: The U.S. behaves nothing like a democracy - Salon.com

But, the other countries of the world aren't exactly all that Democratic either, and they are increasingly adopting the American model.

The EU Is Becoming Less Democratic - WSJ

Report on Erosion of Democracy in EU Fingers Greece, Hungary - Real Time Brussels - WSJ

What do you want to do about it? Revolution?

Old 05-11-2015, 12:48 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
The problem is not with Congress. The problem is with those of you who can't ever imagine voting for someone of the "other" party. Period.

The fact of the matter, is that while people complain endlessly about the Congress, they routinely re-elect 80% of them in every election. Until people are willing to forget party dogma and vote out incumbents no matter which political party they belong to, Congress does not need to listen to the voters.

And for those of you don't vote. Well... shut up. You don't even get a say in the matter.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:22 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The problem is not with Congress. The problem is with those of you who can't ever imagine voting for someone of the "other" party. Period.

The fact of the matter, is that while people complain endlessly about the Congress, they routinely re-elect 80% of them in every election. Until people are willing to forget party dogma and vote out incumbents no matter which political party they belong to, Congress does not need to listen to the voters.

And for those of you don't vote. Well... shut up. You don't even get a say in the matter.

The problem isn't that the people are too stupid to vote for "another party". The problem is that the system is setup in a way which makes voting for "another party" not only impractical, but counterproductive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7tWHJfhiyo

As Hegel said, "The rational alone is real". Our political system is the way it is, because our political system is the way it is.

If you want to change the outcome of the system, you need to change the system. People have been yelling for a third-party since practically before the ink dried on the Constitution. Complaining about it obviously doesn't work, and continuing to complain is the very definition of insanity. Yet you want to scold me, as if I am the source of the problem?

Old 05-11-2015, 05:07 AM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
https://represent.us/action/theproblem-4/

We have a serious case of Taxation without representation for 90% of American Tax Payers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tu32CCA_Ig

Nearly every issue we face as a nation is caught in the grip of corruption.

The Biggest Corporations and Banks spend billions to buy politicians. In return, the tax payers give them trillions.

In the last 5 years alone, the 200 most politically active companies in the US spent $5.8 billion influencing our government with lobbying and campaign contributions.

Those same companies got $4.4 trillion in taxpayer support — earning a return of 750 times their investment.

It’s a vicious cycle of legalized corruption.

In return for campaign donations, elected officials pass laws that are good for their mega-donors, and bad for the rest of us.

Your "sources" are very biased and HAVE AN AGENDA, therefore I give then NO credibility'

Nice charts but, I don't see any info on HOW they came up with their numbers. You know like weighing, who they contacted , how many did they contact. Important stuff like that.

Sorry, IMO, post FAIL

Old 05-11-2015, 05:38 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
https://represent.us/action/theproblem-4/

We have a serious case of Taxation without representation for 90% of American Tax Payers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tu32CCA_Ig

Nearly every issue we face as a nation is caught in the grip of corruption.

The Biggest Corporations and Banks spend billions to buy politicians. In return, the tax payers give them trillions.

In the last 5 years alone, the 200 most politically active companies in the US spent $5.8 billion influencing our government with lobbying and campaign contributions.

Those same companies got $4.4 trillion in taxpayer support — earning a return of 750 times their investment.

It’s a vicious cycle of legalized corruption.

In return for campaign donations, elected officials pass laws that are good for their mega-donors, and bad for the rest of us.

This is the ideal DEMOCRAT government... big, huge government that is so big it is in bed with every sector of business... this is a liberal's wet dream... and they STILL want bigger government...

Old 05-11-2015, 07:37 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Europe's Democratic Deficit Is Getting Worse - The Atlantic

Europe's Choice: Euro or Democracy - Bloomberg View

Well, I agree with the observations and criticisms of America.

Chomsky: The U.S. behaves nothing like a democracy - Salon.com

But, the other countries of the world aren't exactly all that Democratic either, and they are increasingly adopting the American model.

The EU Is Becoming Less Democratic - WSJ

Report on Erosion of Democracy in EU Fingers Greece, Hungary - Real Time Brussels - WSJ

What do you want to do about it? Revolution?
Actually, yeah. I don't really believe in peaceful protest anymore.
But our Military and Law Enforcement MUST be on board first.

In some military drills lately, the protestors and Police are joined together, which could be something to be expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies