Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 05:08 PM

73,067 posts, read 62,694,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I'm pretty sure the OP meant a certain demographic of the black culture, particularly those that would fall under the category "hood rat" or "thug"....just saying.
Well, it would help to specify "hood rat". A better idea would be this. It should be about diminishing hood rat culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 05:11 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,341,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
Kudos to that family. Wish there were more like that.
Backhanded compliment.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:19 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,920,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Just wanted to put this out there...

Many see the media reports of the Ferguson and Baltimore incidents and go along with the narrative that there is no progress - and that blacks are in the same boat that we have been in since the civil rights days.

I went to a graduation this weekend. My wife's best friend has four sons whom she is raising up on her own (+10 yrs. husband left). The oldest received his BA degree. The second oldest just completed his first year of college. The mom is tireless in her work, support for the kids' activities, church attendance, participation, prayer, etc. with not a lot of income. I don't know how she does it. I am pretty sure the boys are getting scholarship because of the family's low income.

The point is, this is how change occurs - one person at a time... one decision at a time to do the right thing day after day. It's a slow process. The boy that graduated has no personal burdens that will restrict him from getting the experience he needs to advance in his field.

It could be a high school athlete who gets a four year scholarship. The athlete may have no chance of becoming a pro athlete, but he can get a free college education and change his/her family tree for the better for future generations.

So - in this graduation season - if you are a black single parent that has kids that are graduating college - congratulations and thank you - you are THE change of black culture.
Agreed.

Too; despite many people saying how race relations get set back 20 years when something like the Rodney King riots happened about 1990, 2008 saw our 1st half "Black" POTUS. That ain't holding even, that's pulling ahead in life.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:27 PM

There are Black people accomplishing great things every day. Unfortunately, it is the hood rat element of the Black population that gets the most attention. Histrionics get the attention.

Jazz is part of the Black culture. Dr. Ben Carson is part of Black culture. So is Bill Cosby, Tavis Smiley, Cornel West, Condoleeza Rice, Dr. Regina Benjamin, Dr. Jemison, Guion Bluford, Ron McNair, Brian McKnight, Stevie Wonder, Kem, Denzel Washington, Angela Bassett, Ken Griffey Jr, Michael Jordan, Thomas Sowell, Michael Jackson, Montell Williams, and so many more people. Unfortunately, hood rat culture is held up as the "true" Black culture. Hood rat culture is underclass culture.

It is rare that many people will report on stories like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgZvdl5qE58

Middle and middle upper class African-Americans in DeSoto,Texas, a suburb of Dallas. High income area. 55% of the businesses in that city are Black-owned. 69% of the population is African-American. And according to the data available on city-data, the crime index for DeSoto,Texas: 281.7. The national average is 301.1

However, stories about thugs and hood rats will get more traction.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:02 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,582,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
Immigration is a self-selective process. Most immigrant communities are not representative of their countries of origin.
You talk like 75% of all Children born in China are illegitimate. It's not even near 7.5%.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:06 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,582,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

Jazz is part of the Black culture. Dr. Ben Carson is part of Black culture. So is Bill Cosby,

It is rare that many people will report on stories like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgZvdl5qE58

However, stories about thugs and hood rats will get more traction.
I am not sure you would want to bring Bill Cosby into this conversation. Just saying.

A black man with a super light skinned wife who could pass as white or Hispanic would not be a good example either in the eyes of other black women. Just saying.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
I am not sure you would want to bring Bill Cosby into this conversation. Just saying.

A black man with a super light skinned wife who could pass as white or Hispanic would not be a good example either in the eyes of other black women. Just saying.
Question is this. Can what I said be refuted?

Old 05-11-2015, 06:13 PM

12,045 posts, read 6,584,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
I did not come from a family that cared, but I decided that I personally was going to change the generation after myself. The majority of my black family are drug-addicts and alcoholics and always have been. Education was not encouraged in my home and I was ridiculed and abused for being different. I always felt through education I could be more than they have aspired to be. I spent my time at the library. Being different and "weird" saved my life. I am the only female in my family currently without children because I wanted to wait to complete my education. My fiance and I would like to have a family soon. I am also the only one that does not abuse drugs or alcohol.

At age 16, I dropped out of school and ran away from home. I began working and eventually went to get a GED. I enrolled in university in 2 years after that. I applied for an internship and was accepted. I have since earned two graduate degrees and work in a technical field in which I love. We do not have to succumb to the negativity and it takes those that believe in a better future for ourselves and our loves ones to make a positive change.
Bravo!
Through tenacity, intelligence, grace, and a good head on your shoulders you broke out of the cycle of dysfunction.
I'm sure your story will help inspire others on the same path.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:15 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,920,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post

You need to tell "Black" people that those dudes and ladies who are light skinned are "Black" enough to be part of the "team" because I guess they didn't get the memo.

Tho more and more multiracial people, especially those who are 25 percent or less Black and with pasty skin color are ID'ing as "white" because in the real world, they ARE that race.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:46 PM

12,045 posts, read 6,584,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There are Black people accomplishing great things every day. Unfortunately, it is the hood rat element of the Black population that gets the most attention. Histrionics get the attention.
It's not just the hood rat element that has people so concerned about "black culture."

It's that blacks have the lowest education as a race or culture per capita in the nation, and deride those blacks that respect education.
It's that blacks have the highest crime rate per capita.
It's that 95% of all black murders are done by other blacks, yet their focus is that whites cause all their problems.
It's that blacks have the highest teenage pregnancy rate in the nation,
The highest single parenting homes,
It's that blacks have become very racist.
It's that blacks have the highest poverty rate per capita and embrace entitlement culture.
And sadly, that most blacks including educated and wealthy blacks are in denial that this is still a BIG PART of black culture.

I've talked to blacks from other countries who get really upset with American black culture -- they are shocked at the gangsta pop culture, the lack of personal responsibility, the lack of appreciating and taking advantage of a free education, etc

American culture celebrates the great and heroic stride blacks have made everyday in the media, in movies, in college classes, In Black appreciation month, black heritage week, black museums, etc, etc
No other culture gets the amount of positive kudos that blacks get. So stop with the whining about lack of positive attention.

There are courageous black conservatives trying to shine a light and actually reverse a lot of the negative behavior and choices in black culture. They are the ones who should be getting more attention.

Last edited by mountainrose; 05-11-2015 at 06:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies