Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 12:55 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
There are now, in 2015 many, and I say Many, and will say again, Many successful black people....the only difference is, most of them have worked hard for what they wanted....

and I'm not talkin, sports stars or rock bands, I'm talking real life....

and if they can do it, anyone can....!
Indeed.

I have worked at numerous jobs in the Northeast, Middle Atlantic, and the South.

Each company had numerous black employees at all levels. Normal names, black sounding names, all of the above.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:57 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,271 times
I would prefer to refer to our President's wife as Michelle Obama, Mrs. Obama or The First Lady. I'm not a fan of the cruel nicknames.

I do think that Barack and Michelle Obama are making race relations in this country much worse. They should be trying to pull us all together, not tear us apart. Also, I would have to agree with those who said that this was not a very inspirational speech to give to college graduates on one of the best days of their lives.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:58 PM

17,426 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I'm not sure why Palin was injected into this discussion, but I'll play along:

She get's a hard time because she is a conservative woman, and the so-called progressive, all inclusive gender protective, main scream media does not count conservative women (conservative anything) as something to tolerate.

tol·er·ate
verb
verb: tolerate; 3rd person present: tolerates; past tense: tolerated; past participle: tolerated; gerund or present participle: tolerating
  1. allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that one does not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.
They claim to be the tolerant ones... except for; religion, conservatism, individualism, freedom, constitutionalists, true patriots, military (except when expedient for votes of course)... people who do not agree with them verbatim... etc. Hmm... maybe progressive liberals should come up with another word that describes their level of tolerance, because it certainly isn't all encompassing.

It shows how shallow Mrs. Obama actually is to be married the president of the US, have had a very successful life (which she didn't create for herself according to her husband) and constantly claim how bad this country is (not has been) to "her people?"

If anyone should be colorblind it should be the Obama's! Yet, they help to foment racial unrest at every opportunity.

I've never seen this clip before.

She thinks the black community has cornered the market on self-doubt? That's rich.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find ANYONE, of any color, creed or religion who has not doubted themselves or have been told by others they won't or can't succeed. Or they're not good enough. Not smart enough. Not ______ enough.

To blame it on being black is just ignorance.

Last edited by Chuckity; 05-13-2015 at 01:26 PM..

Old 05-13-2015, 02:07 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post

She thinks the black community has cornered the market on self-doubt? That's rich.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find ANYONE, of any color, creed or religion who has not doubted themselves or have been told by others they won't or can't succeed. Or they're not good enough. Not smart enough. Not ______ enough.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:39 PM

7,506 posts, read 5,753,469 times
Well she hates America and she's a racist. What more could America ask for in a First Whack Job. I bet these two have a hateful marriage.

He's a narcisstic liar and she's just angry and spiteful. What's hunorous is they will make millions after the whitehouse and become the very 1% they rail against and use to manipulate mentally challenged voters with.

Begin a liberal has to either be very confusing or they are just not smart enough to so the hypocrisy.

Which is it?

Old 05-13-2015, 02:59 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I would prefer to refer to our President's wife as Michelle Obama, Mrs. Obama or The First Lady. I'm not a fan of the cruel nicknames.

I do think that Barack and Michelle Obama are making race relations in this country much worse. They should be trying to pull us all together, not tear us apart. Also, I would have to agree with those who said that this was not a very inspirational speech to give to college graduates on one of the best days of their lives.
Yep, it was pathetic. These people achieved a great accompaniment and what does Michele do, she gives a pathetic woe is me speech.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:03 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post

Actually, I agree with her. Many black people really absorb all of the negative views of black people in this country and feel a huge shame about being black and think that they can't do anything because they are black.

I have never seen it to the level I have seen it with black people. That is why it is important IMO for her and those like her to go out and combat the idea that just because you are black doesn't mean you get a "pass" to sit around, not use your mind or your talent and just mope and whine and waste your llife away.

I honestly find it hilarious that so many of the posters on this thread are against what she said at Tuskeegee (FWIW, I highly doubt you all listened to the speech).

She spoke about not letting obstacles get in your way and how we should build upon the triumphs of previous generations and continue to strive and do better.

People who see something racist about that have issues.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:44 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
I just read that "article," or rather, propogated trash.

Except for what she quoted, which was:
"The road ahead is not going to be easy for folks like you and me,” she told the students of Tuskegee University, “because while we’ve come so far, the truth is that those age-old problems are stubborn, and they haven’t fully gone away.”,

the rest is complete conjecture.

OP, if you're going to post something, why not try to be objective? Or at least post something that is correct?

She's correct in that age-old problems, meaning racism, nepotism, classism, and all other -isms that have affected African Americans since we were forced into this country, haven't gone away.

Sigh...the b.s.. continues..

I have only one question, here. Where would any and all negros descended from slaves here in America be today if their ancestors had not been brought to America?

Is Africa a better place to live?

Old 05-13-2015, 03:55 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Lol, so you are the judge as to what is an appropriate commencement speech topic. Her speech wasn't about racism, but really did the audience of her speech have a problem with its content? Didn't seem like it from the laughter and applause.

What's not all about race and skin color?

I don't understand the rest of that second paragraph, who is saying those things don't count?
I was trying to get across the point that we all will experience people who are biased against us, might treat us unfairly, or prejudge us and their actions have nothing to do with our race. Sadly, Michelle made it personal, with her angry and lengthy scree made which was all about race.

Quote:
I think she was relaying how others spoke about her, plus her life experiences before 2009. You know the other 40+ years of her life. Lol
Without a doubt!

Michelle showed how she spent 50 years of her life, absorbed and obsessed with any and all perceived racial slights, as she and her husband climbed to the highest rungs of American success, and she wallows in it, is still bitter and angry about it.

Quote:
Again, she didn't do a litany of racial slights. She was relaying her life experiences which is generally what commencement speeches are about. And once again the audience seemed to enjoy what she said a lot.
She went on, and on, and on and on... Feeding the need some people have to be pitied as a victim, she played to the inner "poor pity me" crowd in her audience, feeding that cancer of victim hood. The students were there to celebrate their great academic achievements, not wallow in Michelle's own self pity, while she dredges up the "daily slights" of her old racial resentments.

Quote:
America has changed because black Americans with others fought to make it change. America doesn't get credit for changing as if it just happened easily. There was an opposition against black people being full citizens. That opposition is still in this nation.

America is changing demographically that's the main reason President Obama was elected twice.
He was not elected because his skin is brown, he was elected for the leadership and vision he promised to provide to lead the nation into a brighter and more secure future. Sadly he has failed miserably. The US poverty rate is at a fifty high, the world is less safe, and he almost doubled our debt.

Quote:
The vast majority of white American voters didn't vote for President Obama in either election. In fact if only white Americans were allowed to vote President Obama would have lost in a landslide.

Your focus on individual bigots is an irrelevant.

Again, the stats in America point to wide spread and enduring racial discrimination against black Americans in employment, housing, criminal justice, life span, just run it down, there is not one area, not one area in American life where black and white Americans have anything like parity.

It's just not possible that given America's structure and history that there can be huge racial inequities across the board and that not be due to racism.

This is what Michelle Obama was speaking about overcoming that and defining yourself for you and still striving.
Blacks always, always, always vote for the democrat candidate, at well over 90%. Hispanics too, vote 60% or more for the dems, no matter who the democrat's candidate is, so your point about it being about Obama's race is hardly relevant. Unless you can find some dramatic, historic shift in voting patterns just for Obama.

You seem to dismiss the facts about the inner city black crime rate, the black abortion rate, black high school dropout rate, the rate of black children born out of wedlock, and the lack of black men being fathers in the home of the children they brought into the world, this "huge racial inequity across the board" should seemingly not be laid at the feet of the black people responsible? It's all some white conspiracy, all the fault of white racism, it's white people forcing blacks to do these to themselves?

Old 05-13-2015, 03:58 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Mrs. Obama is by far the best first lay we've had in my lifetime. Nothing she said there is inaccurate...
IMHO, "Mrs. Obama" is by far the worst first lady we have ever had in American history.

In my lifetime we have had several very classy and intelligent first ladies such as Laura Bush, Pat Nixon, Jacqueline Kennedy, Nancy Reagan. I found several were simply occupying the space such as Ladybird Johnson and Bess Truman. Then there were those who didn't know their place and who thought they ran the country, the worst being Eleanor Roosevelt who was a mess, Rosalynn Carter who was more intelligent than her husband but neither capable of the office and Hillary Clinton who has no business in politics at all...the Bil/Hil background is horrendous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies