Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 08:14 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times

Advertisements

As a liberal I can only say this- I am a member of the NRA and support generally their stands on gun rights although they tend to be extreme in some cases (nobody needs military assualt weapons on the streets). As a liberal I would hate to kill another human life but if you come through my door or window, I will not even think twice about doing it. As a liberal it is my belief that if you demonstrtate through a traning course and a background check that you can safely carry and fire a weapon and that you understand fully when and when not to bring that weapon into play, I am all for your right to carry it openly or concealed in public (I do not carry myself at this time).

Old 01-19-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I agree with your assertions above.

I have a concealed weapons permit. The FACT is, concealed weapons permit applications are on the rise, many from women.

I have a weapon at home, in my office, my automobile and on my person. It is never my intention to pull my weapon but, rest assured, if I feel compelled enough to pull my weapon, I will also be more than ready to use it.
If I felt the need to carry I would get a CCW permit too. It is just that where I live in Cobb County (GA) it is very safe and quiet and the cops come fast when called. So I have never felt the need to carry. But if things change and I do, I want that right!

Old 01-19-2008, 08:26 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,711,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
As a liberal I can only say this- I am a member of the NRA and support generally their stands on gun rights although they tend to be extreme in some cases (nobody needs military assualt weapons on the streets). As a liberal I would hate to kill another human life but if you come through my door or window, I will not even think twice about doing it. As a liberal it is my belief that if you demonstrtate through a traning course and a background check that you can safely carry and fire a weapon and that you understand fully when and when not to bring that weapon into play, I am all for your right to carry it openly or concealed in public (I do not carry myself at this time).
Nobody "needs" a car that can go 180mph either, do they? So I think I should limit what kind of car you drive because I don't think you should be able to own one.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
If I felt the need to carry I would get a CCW permit too. It is just that where I live in Cobb County (GA) it is very safe and quiet and the cops come fast when called. So I have never felt the need to carry. But if things change and I do, I want that right!
If you wait until you NEED it, it's probably too late. Just like wearing a seatbelt...you don't put it on because you might get in an accident in your driveway, and you don't wait until you think you're about to have an accident to put it on. You put it on, hoping that you never actually have to use it.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:33 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
Originally Posted by dunkel25
Quote:
Whoa, my brain hurts from reading that. So if there is someone with a maniacal desire to murder someone and he has a gun, there's no need for me to have one? Seriously?
In Holland, the chance of going on a killing spree with a gun is far less likely than in America. Simply because our 'maniacs' have a harder time to get their hands on a gun. It ain't as easy to possess a gun because it is heavily government controlled.
Also our schools don't have to be equipped with metal detectors, although we have had some incidents where teachers were wounded and even killed by students.
But I suspect that this might change in the near future with all the suicide-killings in the media. It used to be that the press would not mention such things to not put the wrong ideas in certain people, but nowadays the media just reports anything to increase their ratings.

Quote:
Do you wear a seatbelt? Do you feel so insecure about your driving that you need to wear a setbelt? Do you feel so scared that every other driver is going to be so bad that they might kill you?
I don't have a drivers license and we don't need to wear seatbelts when we use public transportation.
But to not disappoint you, I do view my body and mind as deadly weapons.
Anywayz, I don’t think that your analogy works since the chance that I will encounter traffic is much higher than that I will be the victim of a violent crime.

Quote:
So if someone breaks in your house, you'll yell "Stop! I have a brain! Don't Move!"
I will not warn at all.
I’ll use restricted violence to take him out if he is not packing heat (and I do not suspect he will). But if he is I'll have no problem using deadly force since by carrying a weapon he has shown to have no problem with killing me.
The thing is that if everyone and his mother are carrying guns, I probably will too.
But since that is not the case here in Holland I won't.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:46 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Frankly this is too sensitive a subject to debate coherently. I could provide reams of stats that show the increase of violence in the UK,and Austrialia since they outlawed guns and I'm sure folks could try to prove otherwise. The point is that legal gun ownership is the law of the land here in the US and will remain so for sometime. No other country has any right to change our contstitutionaly (sp?) garenteed rights...... Without hurting anyones feelings if you don't like that don't come here, pretty simple isn't it????
HOW was that a flame ?????? And why don't people leave there names when the drop a redbomb on you?????

Old 01-19-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
Nobody "needs" a car that can go 180mph either, do they? So I think I should limit what kind of car you drive because I don't think you should be able to own one.
I did not say you cannot own one. I said it has no business on the streets. Only the police should have assault weaponry on the streets. If you want to own one, you should keep it at home or use it at an approved range keeping it unloaded and locked in a case in the trunk of your car during transport. Nobody needs AR-15s to hunt with or for self defense of any kind. I do not know why folks like to even keep them myself. I fired such rifles in the military (training and not actual war) and the thrill wears off real fast.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
If you wait until you NEED it, it's probably too late. Just like wearing a seatbelt...you don't put it on because you might get in an accident in your driveway, and you don't wait until you think you're about to have an accident to put it on. You put it on, hoping that you never actually have to use it.
You can get a CCW in 10 days here. If I need it, I know my way to the Cobb County Sheriff Office to get it.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:23 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
Quote:
I did not say you cannot own one. I said it has no business on the streets. Only the police should have assault weaponry on the streets. If you want to own one, you should keep it at home or use it at an approved range keeping it unloaded and locked in a case in the trunk of your car during transport. Nobody needs AR-15s to hunt with or for self defense of any kind. I do not know why folks like to even keep them myself. I fired such rifles in the military (training and not actual war) and the thrill wears off real fast.
AR's are a blast to shoot, I don't hunt any more but have more fun just shooting........ I used to build street rods now I just collect and shoot guns....Everyone in my house knows how to shoot.....hey this is America! we can do what we want .........
You'll probably hate these but it sure is fun?

YouTube - screw gun control

YouTube - Screw gun control

Old 01-19-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
You can get a CCW in 10 days here. If I need it, I know my way to the Cobb County Sheriff Office to get it.
10 days? Not likely. I live in Cobb County, too, and it takes much longer than 10 days. I think mine took 90 days, but from what I understand, that time has lessened a bit since I got mine.

However, if you really need one, even 10 days is about 9 days 23 hours and 59 minutes too long, if you catch my drift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies