Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 01:03 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I have no idea, maybe we can use some of that good old American ingenuity and come up with a way that works, you know put some serious effort to dealing with a problem.

Wrong, we are not removing their freedom of speech, I only suggest that if they are going to add their own slant/agenda then it should have a disclaimer present to identify when something is the truth and facts as they stand and what is Opinion.

Once again no one is suggesting that anyone change their beliefs or points of view, simply suggesting that we have some sources available that simply report the facts, are you against that or do you prefer the way it is and depending who spines the news is what people will accept and the whole truth? Personally I believe that is why so many have such warped ideas about Cons and Libs, it is mainly based on misinformation, and I believe if most people could get the facts and not have to wade through the spine they would be far better informed, or are you against that?

Jefferson hated the media of his day and for good reason.

Who decides what "the facts" are?

Who decides when the disclaimer will be used and when it won`t?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 01:26 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Yeah, naturally he's ripping FOX, but it's an ominous, even threatening warning coming from the President. He's had no problem siccing the DOJ on the liberal MSM, I can just imagine what he'd like to do to FOX.

But do folks on the left want that? FOX hate is well documented here on CD, but this is the President. Are you folks comfortable with this? Let's say President Cruz decides he's had it with CNN and MSNBC and the NYT and puts the resources of the DOJ to work to close them down. Obama already created the precedent, so it's okay, right?

For the left Obama Just Called Out Fox News For Making the Poor Out to Be "Leeches" | Mother Jones

For the right Obama Rips Fox: 'We're Going to Have to Change How the Media Reports' - Breitbart

I assume like most politicians, this was one of many pieces of mindless rhetoric spewed that day.

If not, then someone needs to enlighten the former Constitutional Law Professor and current sworn defender of the Constitution aka POTUS.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:50 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I just find conservatives so irrational.

The idea that President Obama has shut down the media or is trying to shut down the media by criticizing how Fox News portrays American citizens as leeches is false and irrational.

I just wish conservatives would say I hate the president cause he is black and that scares me instead of inventing convoluted irrational strange conspiracy theories about how one of the reasons they hate President Obama is because he is trying to shutdown the media or shutdown Fox News. SMH
When there's no good argument, race is pulled out. Sure sign that there's no good argument. BTW, in case you haven't caught on yet, they don't 'hate' the President. They truly dislike his policies because they are bad for the country (look back over his terms for proof positive of why they are bad). Dislike of policies is all there is to it and has nothing to do with skin pigmentation. How often do we have to say this?

"...which means we’re going to have to change how the media reports on these issues, and... people’s impressions of what it’s like to struggle in this economy looks like. And how budgets connect to that."

As if people don't have a pretty good idea of what it's like for them to struggle in this economy. The President says their perspective needs to be changed? To whose perspective?

"we're going to have to change how the media..." means, if you read between the lines, that he already has a plan/strategy for doing this. Media better be watchful so they don't become part of a full time propaganda machine. Today, the liberal media reports as they wish in support of all things liberal, including Obama. Tomorrow they may have no choice. They will be told how to report. They may not like that much.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:53 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
President Barack Obama criticized Fox News on Tuesday, accusing the network of portraying poor people as "leeches."

In a discussion at Georgetown University, Obama said the media made an effort to “suggest the poor are sponges, leeches, don't want to work, are lazy, are undeserving," and he then singled out Fox News for special rebuke.

I don't have a problem with this statement.

There’s always been a strain in American politics where you’ve got the middle class, and the question has been, who are you mad at, if you’re struggling; if you’re working, but you don’t seem to be getting ahead. And over the last 40 years, sadly, I think there’s been an effort to either make folks mad at folks at the top, or to be mad at folks at the bottom.

But here Obama is as guilty as anyone and has no room to talk. Most of the rest is just empty rhetoric.
He is such a tool. Not that well-spoken and clean anymore.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:06 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
If someone is going to whine incessantly they should have some sort of solutions or can point to someone that does and tell us why.

Look, I get it, no one wants just the facts and having do the thinking (effort and work) that it takes to come to their own conclusions, it is far easier to tune into our favorite propaganda site or station and let them do our thinking and form our opinions for us, well at least for the sheep it is.

So I can assume we will not be hearing any more whining about left leaning "news" sources selling snakeoil in the future from any of you here, after all they are just doing the same thing you support coming out of the right leaning "news" sources
When I complain about politicians lying I get people rolling their eyes and say "meh, they all lie". So "Meh, all the media lies".

Old 05-13-2015, 02:23 PM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
What really concerns me is the implied threat of controlling the media even more than they are already being controlled by the government.

And, btw, Mr. Obama, yes, there are MANY working people who can't afford a decent living, and thus they are called the working poor. And there are many people who can't work due to disabilities, and thus they receive SSDI and/or receive workmen's compensation checks. And there are many people who want to work and have worked but they can't find a job due to this economic situation and/or outsourcing, and thus these people receive unemployment checks. AND there are also many people who CAN work but choose not to do so because they ARE lazy, and thus they are called "leeches, sponges, etc." because that is what they ARE.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:35 PM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Obama - "We have to change how the media reports on these issues"

H. Clinton- "Religious beliefs must change"

What a pair.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:09 PM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Obama - "We have to change how the media reports on these issues"

H. Clinton- "Religious beliefs must change"

What a pair.

I don't like Obama OR Hillary Clinton OR either of the Bushes, but I do object to how you presented what HRC said out of context.

She said, "Deep-seated cultural codes, religious beliefs and structural biases have to be changed” for the sake of giving women access to “reproductive health care and safe childbirth.” [because] “far too many women are denied access to reproductive health care and safe childbirth" [because of religious belief].

I think only the most chauvinistic and blinded-by-religion people would disagree with that.

Last edited by katharsis; 05-13-2015 at 04:46 PM..

Old 05-13-2015, 04:32 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
All governments all over the world have censored what the people hear & see, since the beginning of time, until......
The internet. There are governments out there in the world, censoring it too, now.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:40 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Who decides what "the facts" are?

Who decides when the disclaimer will be used and when it won`t?
Read the first line of the post you replied to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies