Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 07:52 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times

Advertisements

The Wage Gap by Gender & Race Timeline History (White, Black, Hispanic, Men & Women)

Simple math.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 08:02 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
It's not "importing Hispanics" per se.

It IS importation of poverty that will continue to frustrate "the war on poverty" and "income inequality."

Despite all the bitching about the US immigration system, we take on huge numbers of poor, unskilled, uneducated people each year.

Added on top of our own home-grown lower class, we have an illegal immigrant population likely the size of Canada (I believe the estimate of "15 million" is probably too low) living within our borders. How many of those people have kids that end up being American citizens living in impoverished conditions?

Canada, by the way, has a much more strict immigration center, and takes on skilled and educated people.

So, we have a choice:

1) Do we fashion America as a place where the destitute can come and work themselves up? If we do this, we will have to be comfortable with some level of non-stop poverty.

or

2) Do we severely restrict immigration and go Canada-style, and work on social safety net programs and opportunity expansion such as college and job training, etc.?

I am not convinced you can do both. Right now it's always two steps forward, one step back as the flood gates are wide open. And maybe that's OK, but you can't expect any different outcome.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:05 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
But importing poverty enhances the Democrat/liberal voter base. It's a great strategy, for the Democrats, of course!

What I don't understand is why the Democrat voters are just so blind. Importing poverty means less welfare for them. How can they still support the Democrat/Liberal?

I guess it takes a liberal to be a liberal.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:10 AM

30,398 posts, read 19,191,759 times
Well of course you're right OP but did you run this by the PC censors...they might not like the truth to be out there on the net.

The second poster had a great post. We are taking on million upon millions of unskilled immigrants and you have to either get them a job or pay them welfare, have medical for them, education for their kids....it costs a lot. we could be more like Canada if we weren't taking on this horde.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:21 AM

63,004 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Well of course you're right OP but did you run this by the PC censors...they might not like the truth to be out there on the net.

The second poster had a great post. We are taking on million upon millions of unskilled immigrants and you have to either get them a job or pay them welfare, have medical for them, education for their kids....it costs a lot. we could be more like Canada if we weren't taking on this horde.
Assuming you mean illegal aliens you are right. They also reduce American blue-collared wages by working for less. This depletes job opportunities for Americans also. At some point we have to put an end to this madness before it is too late. I worry about the ethnocentric type of Hispanic becoming the majority in this country who has no respect for our borders or laws. Our taxes are going thru the roof supporting illegal aliens and their anchor babies whom will have the same mindset. It is a recipe for disaster.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:21 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,122,636 times
Please do explain the simple math. I would love to hear your explanation.

Mick

Old 05-19-2015, 08:24 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
It's not Hispanics per say.

It's importing millions upon millions of poor uneducated, unskilled immigrants who turn around and have large families and become dependent on our social welfare system.

It's out of control in most first world nations.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Please do explain the simple math. I would love to hear your explanation.

Mick
You really cannot do it yourself? I see why you are a liberal. If the average Hispanic makes 2/3rds what the average white makes and as history shows that ratio is pretty fixed; as Hispanics become a higher percentage of the work force average median wages will go down.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's not Hispanics per say.

It's importing millions upon millions of poor uneducated, unskilled immigrants who turn around and have large families and become dependent on our social welfare system.

It's out of control in most first world nations.
Agreed, massive immigration lowers median income by both importing unskilled workers and lowering the wages of current unskilled workers.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:40 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,317,357 times
I've been wondering about this for years. The people calling for immigration "reform" are a lot of the same people who want to increase government handouts and entitlements. How they think that this is all supposed to work out, I can't imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies