Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 10:42 AM

29,883 posts, read 25,016,103 times

Advertisements

Can't increase median income in a nation losing competitive edge. Blame whom ever you would like. Our educational system is a joke, and the world is rejecting our product. It does not get any better going forward without drastic change. Pitchforks and broomsticks... That's the only change Americans seem to want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 10:50 AM

2,683 posts, read 2,188,629 times
I agree that its not Hispanics per se. Its the quality of people we let in -- we should be asking whether they have something useful to offer our country.

The people in our government who support throwing open the gates at our borders are not thinking about economics. They are thinking about getting reelected. Even Republicans have been known to dip their toes in these waters.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:22 PM

78,752 posts, read 60,939,328 times
I've ceased to care at this point.

Why?

Because I'm well educated and so are my kids and extended family. We are largely un-impacted in our wages\employment by lots of cheap immigrant labor and also benefit by having my house painted more cheaply and other labor costs kept down.

When I point this out to people crying about stagnant laborer wages etc. they pooh pooh claiming that millions of off the books laborers can't possibly impact wages which is nothing blind partisan rationalization.

Both parties sold the working class in this country down the river. I've tried to explain this and in particular the democrats refuse to believe this is possible. Then again, they're the same idiots that don't grasp that Clinton, Biden, Kerry etc. all helped push NAFTA through and think it was just the republicans. I give up trying, if people are that stupid let them make crap wages.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:25 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,610,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
I've been wondering about this for years. The people calling for immigration "reform" are a lot of the same people who want to increase government handouts and entitlements. How they think that this is all supposed to work out, I can't imagine.
They're the same people that thought you could insure 30 million more people, improve coverage and still reduce costs.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:30 PM

38,650 posts, read 26,451,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
But importing poverty enhances the Democrat/liberal voter base. It's a great strategy, for the Democrats, of course!

What I don't understand is why the Democrat voters are just so blind. Importing poverty means less welfare for them. How can they still support the Democrat/Liberal?

I guess it takes a liberal to be a liberal.

Democrats do not understand economics but they do understand elections.

In the mind of the mooch, a Democrat delivers and a Republican takes away.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:30 PM

13,682 posts, read 20,830,672 times
Blathering about livable wages and income inequality while gleefully importing millions of poor people is stupidity exemplified.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:16 PM

63,156 posts, read 29,323,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Blathering about livable wages and income inequality while gleefully importing millions of poor people is stupidity exemplified.
Not to mention that it is hypocritical.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:25 PM

63,156 posts, read 29,323,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I've ceased to care at this point.

Why?

Because I'm well educated and so are my kids and extended family. We are largely un-impacted in our wages\employment by lots of cheap immigrant labor and also benefit by having my house painted more cheaply and other labor costs kept down.

When I point this out to people crying about stagnant laborer wages etc. they pooh pooh claiming that millions of off the books laborers can't possibly impact wages which is nothing blind partisan rationalization.

Both parties sold the working class in this country down the river. I've tried to explain this and in particular the democrats refuse to believe this is possible. Then again, they're the same idiots that don't grasp that Clinton, Biden, Kerry etc. all helped push NAFTA through and think it was just the republicans. I give up trying, if people are that stupid let them make crap wages.
If you are well educated with a good job then why do you choose to employ illegal aliens rather than Americans? You do realize that you are breaking the law all in the name of greed, don't you? You apparently are clueless because the social costs of these illegal aliens is being passed unto you the taxpayer in the form of higher taxes so they are no bargain after all.

We regular Americans have no control over immigration issues in this country and our government aka our politicians are ignoring our pleas to stop this madness. There isn't a one of them running for president in 2016 that isn't promising more of this nonsense just for votes from a special interest group of citizens.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:31 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,145,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
You really cannot do it yourself? I see why you are a liberal. If the average Hispanic makes 2/3rds what the average white makes and as history shows that ratio is pretty fixed; as Hispanics become a higher percentage of the work force average median wages will go down.

Your thread title is "Can't increase median income if we keep importing hispanics." I didn't realize that we are still "importing" human beings this day and age, but you are clearly referring to new illegal immigrants.

You recognize that the chart does not reflect salary information for illegal aliens, right? Why? No illegal in his right mind would participate in a voluntary survey conducted by the Feds. It's a survey of employees, not employers. Think about it.

As such, it doesn't matter how many more Latinos illegally enter the country and work, because whatever they earn is not going to be reflected in the median income statistics you cite.

Mick

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-19-2015 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 05-19-2015, 01:42 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,610,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post

Your thread title is "Can't increase median income if we keep importing hispanics." I didn't realize that we are still "importing" human beings this day and age, but you are clearly referring to new illegal immigrants.

You recognize that the chart does not reflect salary information for illegal aliens, right? Why? No illegal in his right mind would participate in a voluntary survey conducted by the Feds. It's a survey of employees, not employers. Think about it.

As such, it doesn't matter how many more Latinos illegally enter the country and work, because whatever they earn is not going to be reflected in the median income statistics you cite.

Mick
Here is where you're wrong, the influx of the illegal aliens will keep down the pay of the people that do fill out the surveys because of the increase in the supply of low wage workers willing to work for income below what's on the "chart." The fact that the illegal aliens don't fill out surveys means that the situation will likely be worse than the stats show. Economics.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-19-2015 at 03:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies