Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 10:43 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

They have taken over construction and most landscaping jobs.
They have taken over many outside project jobs as well (carports, barns, fencing).
They have taken over many home renovation services (painting, carpeting, tiling).

Only 1 might speak English among the crew that show up at your house.

Business doesn't care and the government doesn't care.
It's every man for himself folks. Do what you need to protect your future and that of your children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 11:42 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Supply & Demand is always a factor.

Example: There has pretty much always been a near-infinite supply of fast food workers. Why? Because literally anyone can do it. Now, you add to that already plentiful supply by utilizing illegal and cheaper labor. There is no way that is now going to put downward pressure on wages. The Supply is huge. Thus the Demand is diminished if not extinguished.

On the flip side, becoming a good brain surgeon is not something most will ever be able to do. The Supply is limited. The Demand huge.

Conclusion: You cannot talk livable wages whilst importing tons of cheap labor. The two notions are inherently and obviously contradictory.
Yeah...i get all that. But i'm still not convinced that this is what's going on in our case. I think that wages are artificially depressed in this country because simply put, Americans won't do **** about it.

When i was in the transportation industry (an industry i hope to get back to soon enough) as a freight broker and off and on as a driver, the industry was PERPETUALLY a quarter million drivers short. That's extremely critical. I was constantly trying to find enough drivers to haul freight but i'd never have enough....even during times when freight wasn't moving all that well.

This is still the case in transportation, and in fact, the driver shortage is getting even worse.

Yet, truck driving pay is a joke. Freight rates in many cases are simply laughable, but even when they're good, company drivers aren't seeing their fair share of it.

How is this the case despite having a perpetual critical driver shortage?

Old 05-20-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blind melon View Post
You know why? Because millions of American workers have Joe the plumber syndrome. They have been making $30, 000 a year for the past 4 years but expect to make millions within 5 years
LOL...this is a great point and it's absolutely true.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:03 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah...i get all that. But i'm still not convinced that this is what's going on in our case. I think that wages are artificially depressed in this country because simply put, Americans won't do **** about it.

When i was in the transportation industry (an industry i hope to get back to soon enough) as a freight broker and off and on as a driver, the industry was PERPETUALLY a quarter million drivers short. That's extremely critical. I was constantly trying to find enough drivers to haul freight but i'd never have enough....even during times when freight wasn't moving all that well.

This is still the case in transportation, and in fact, the driver shortage is getting even worse.

Yet, truck driving pay is a joke. Freight rates in many cases are simply laughable, but even when they're good, company drivers aren't seeing their fair share of it.

So what is the solution in your scenario? How much do truck drivers typically make? Considering the criticality of the job, I hope decent wages but from your comment, maybe not. Considering the potential danger a truck driver has to the overall populace, I'm all in favor of good pay and proper training.

Supply and demand will always be a factor.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:07 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
False, for two reasons.

1) these companies compete with other companies hiring illegals.

2) there are many, such as myself, that hire illegal directly for home repairs and lawn service
You should be ashamed of yourself for breaking the law just to get something done cheaper. Some people have no conscience I guess.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:11 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You should be ashamed of yourself for breaking the law just to get something done cheaper. Some people have no conscience I guess.
I don't card 'em. Do you card everyone who does an odd job for you?

Old 05-21-2015, 08:13 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:

Driver pay is pretty good when compared to the COL down here. The drivers I work with make 45-60K and they are home every night. They do have a Class A Hazmat.

If I could back up a tractor trailer I might be a driver myself. Less headaches than managing people.

Last edited by whogo; 05-21-2015 at 08:21 AM..

Old 05-21-2015, 03:28 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
I don't card 'em. Do you card everyone who does an odd job for you?
You said yourself that you go thru contractors that hire illegals. Therefore you are just as guilty because you have knowledge of it. No, I don't card anyone. I don't hire people off the streets and won't do business with companies that I know hire illegal aliens as you do.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
So what is the solution in your scenario? How much do truck drivers typically make? Considering the criticality of the job, I hope decent wages but from your comment, maybe not. Considering the potential danger a truck driver has to the overall populace, I'm all in favor of good pay and proper training.

Supply and demand will always be a factor.
Supply and demand simply put is overrated as a factor in determining why wages are being depressed in this country. I will stick to that assertion to the bitter end.

As for the solution? Hell, i don't know. You can't strongarm people into paying you more. Truckers need more solidarity to get their wages raised. If it were up to me, every job in transportation would be Teamster.

The railroad takes damn good care of their workforce....even the non union companies because they wanna keep the union out.

What's the average pay for OTR drivers? Well it's pretty crappy...

Read this link...and keep in mind, truckers make less than they made in the 1970's:
America's Truck Driver Shortage - Business Insider
Quote:
Driver pay is pretty good when compared to the COL down here. The drivers I work with make 45-60K and they are home every night. They do have a Class A Hazmat.

If I could back up a tractor trailer I might be a driver myself. Less headaches than managing people.
I'm talking about OTR driving...the backbone of the industry. Pay is pathetic. Look it up. Local drivers often make far more than OTR drivers which makes no sense given the onerous job and time away from home that OTR drivers have to deal with. Read the link above. Also, read this link':

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/10/up...abt=0002&abg=1

Old 05-21-2015, 06:18 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:

Some friends of mine who do OTR trucking ain't happy for the reasons you posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies