Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 04:06 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,954,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
And the connection to the "importation" of Hispanics is...? Practically all of the groups in that chart show a gap compared to whites. The chart states the gap but it doesn't state why.

I'm not saying you are wrong.

[but the chart doesn't prove you right]
Not importing those other groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 04:21 AM

76,966 posts, read 47,841,921 times
It seems your own link went over your head. The numbers only prove Hispanics make less than non-Hispanics. So what? Many of them are uneducated and have no skills, so they get what they deserve. Their income has nothing to do with whether or not the incomes of non-Hispanics are increasing.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 05-20-2015 at 04:30 AM..

Old 05-20-2015, 04:25 AM

76,966 posts, read 47,841,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
If the average Hispanic makes 2/3rds what the average white makes and as history shows that ratio is pretty fixed; as Hispanics become a higher percentage of the work force average median wages will go down.
So, if your income (as a non-Hispanic) goes up, you won't be happy because the Hispanics are making less and therefore keeping the median the same?

I'm happy if my income goes up, and I could care less what some illegal immigrant makes and how it reflects on the meaningless median.

Me: Hey, I got a million chinamen who will fix our bridges, and they'll work for $1.00 an hour

Political hack: Well, we can't have that.

Me: Why not? Don't you want the bridges fixed?

Hack: It would make the median salary numbers look bad.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 05-20-2015 at 04:36 AM..

Old 05-20-2015, 04:28 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,426,263 times
This thread is racist and overlooks the millions of Hispanic people that are high income not to mention the reason why they're less financially successful like low education, discrimination etc.

Its a loaded question and basically says "Hispanics are dumb don't import them" and why say "import" their not goods but human beings

Old 05-20-2015, 04:54 AM

37,832 posts, read 41,175,401 times
We're importing poor beholden future Democrats. Apparently, that's okay with union leaders.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:53 AM

1 posts, read 613 times
Default Allowing Hispanic entry legally much better than having come in illegally

I used to feel much annoyed at the large number of unskilled Hispanic who would be allowed entry so quickly. Later I worked with children services and saw how many of these children (and mothers) required assistance but were afraid to ask for fear to be sent back to their respective Countries.In 2012 I came to Italy, but I stupidly broke my knee and so only now the pain is bearable enough for me to finally come home in June. Here what they are dealing with is extremely sad and infuriating. I understand and support the Italian coastguard rescuing those who truly were threatened and tortured by ISIS for being Christians. I watched several live reports and interviews who brought me to tears. These escapees were all given the Quran and forced to accept it or otherwise a date would be set for their decapitation. Interesting to know that those who stated to be Muslim were put to the test by having to recite by memory several writings taken from both the Q'ran and the sayings of Mohammed, then immediately let go and embraced as brothers and sisters. Women also played a very active role in the army. Despite being sleep deprived and beaten daily, these hostages would often hold hands, sing together in prayer and refuse to accept Allah or read the Q'ran. A few hundreds were able to escape each time. One young teenage girl, who saw her father shot behind her as she was running during the escape, was narrating how a woman's infant daughter was taken from the mother and despite her pleas, the mother was told to go and in exchange for her life they would keep the infant. They showed the mother, sitting on the pavement while waiting for the Italian boat to take her across Sicily. She was oblivious, her face numb, her eyes gazing at nothing. And the others were in obvious shock. Similar stories kept going on. Those who lived on the East side of Africa, mostly Syrians, escaped and found refuge in close by Lebanon and Jordan (Countries who were already unable to care for themselves took people who numbered almost half of their own Country's entire population). None of these refugees wanted to leave their home. In Italy those who escaped came primarily from parts of Iraq, Lybia, some from Syria, etc. The persecuted were mostly Middle-Eastern and primarily Orthodox Christian. They were peaceful hard working people and respected some of the most important and ancient archeological discoveries made in the area (UNESCO protected), which ISIS also destroyed as it was just yesterday aiming at destroying Palmira next. Thankfully Egypt, with the ground support only of Italy and France, was able to keep them from accessing key passages in North Africa. It took 6,000 more people all landing in Italy and more deaths at sea before the European Community was forced to honor their agreement and assist Italy, where there are refugee camps everywhere, with the biggest in Milan having 9,000 people. Everything was proceeding fairly smoothly until hundreds used this sad opportunity to mingle in a parasitic fashion and using women with children to soften Italian Southerners. They started to come from Countries that have always had civil wars (like Somalia, for example, representing the largest number of African Muslim being rescued at sea). With the exception of a minority of African Christians (in Kenya for example a Catholic High School was bombed by the Somalian branch of Al'Queda, killing most students and several teachers) most of Africa is Muslim. Only recently United Europe realized that it cannot possibly take in a whole Continent, with increasing massive protests in Northern Italy, at times violent, against providing lodging to these possible clandestine when so many Italians are forced out of their own homes by foreigners. As the refugees also stated, Al'Quaeda as well as their Somalian branch are now joining with ISIS. Also interesting is that those who are not true refugee, unless sent in their Country of choice (usually one where they have great social service assistance and the ones where even Europeans cannot afford to live in), they prefer to remain clandestine rather than go through the refugee program. It follows that most of them do not work, while the women with children are assisted by several charitable organizations and also do not have to work full-time like the rest of the Europeans. Most refugees dream is to go back home and maybe still find their families, they are very thankful for what they have, even if the conditions in the camps are very poor. They say that it is better than living in fear of been tortured or executed at a moment notice. The ones who arrived more recently have been placed in hotel, some even 4stars hotel right on the beach, due to lack of space and while waiting for relocation to another Country. Let's just say that recently in Rome riots are increasing and Venice refuses to take them in, as do other Countries in Europe.
So, bottom line, though the Hispanic subject that was raised is a valid one, I felt compelled to share a little about what is going on elsewhere as my friends tell me that they are not getting these news (and many others of political significance). I guess that having seen this almost daily for the past one year, never knowing if the Vatican or the largest Synagogue in Italy is really going to blow, or if they are going to find additional cells to the 3 they already found in Italy (making 53 the men of Isis who actually came in through those boats), the Hispanic do not quite seem a threat at all. The ones who are here legally work hard and pay their taxes and their rents. If a child becomes a U.S. citizen at birth, it is not their fault, but something that needs to be reassessed in a different Court as a possible deterrent for bringing in those who may just want to use the "system". But they are only children after all and I saw how poorly they looked in our Country. I cannot even think what they might look in their own without the occasional check and balance of teachers, nurses, and social workers. All in all, the focus should be shifted to all those other thousands who are instead collecting Social Security Supplement and never worked a day in their life, robbing us all. Let us feel sorry for those Hispanic who sometimes have to take 2 buses and leave 3 hours early just to be able to support themselves washing dishes in some hotel. My dear fellow citizens, please look on the Internet, look what is going on globally, maybe you will realize where our priorities and intellect should be directed. Maybe we can even wonder why suddenly there is rage and depression and anger at each corner, except when we are flooded with happy commercials, a sleuth of sport games to obsess us, reality TV, and whatever else to distract us and entertain us. That kind of distraction lasts but a season, meanwhile the threat of Isis might have already landed on our shores as we keep focused on the latino population and consistently forget what is brewing in the pride of the tribes. America is the land of opportunity and a gift to be cherished for those who desire and fight for the justice and freedom of all, not for those who decide in hate who is worthy of it. I know I went off topic and hope I shall not be "kicked out" from this site by the moderators at my very first post.
Thank you for reading. I shall be happy to give you more news from Italy while I am still here for another 3 weeks.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:11 AM

30,929 posts, read 19,540,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Without laws to protect workers, it doesn't matter if you import hispanics or martians.
The corporations are not going to raise wages unless they are FORCED to.
This much should be obvious to anyone.
In what way would you force corporations to increase wages? I just don't see a scenario that works. I work for a large corporation and the wages are high but that's probably a reflection of the industry (Engineering).

Old 05-20-2015, 06:18 AM

9,567 posts, read 5,667,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
This thread is racist and overlooks the millions of Hispanic people that are high income not to mention the reason why they're less financially successful like low education, discrimination etc.

Its a loaded question and basically says "Hispanics are dumb don't import them" and why say "import" their not goods but human beings
Well it is City-Data so of course it's going to be racist. The issue isn't "low education" but rather income opportunities available to those of various races. The US prides itself as being a Equal Opportunity nation when it comes to incomes but notice they will hire Hispanics for lower wages or under pay Illegals if they can get away with it.
Notice how they can't do that to blacks anymore since they have had Civil Rights legislation since the 1960's.
Capitalism at it's finest exploiting the worker.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:20 AM

13,694 posts, read 20,860,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Meh...i don't by the thread premise.

Ok, let's stop importing cheap unskilled labor. I can buy into that.

But i don't buy that as the main reason that wages are depressed.
Supply & Demand is always a factor.

Example: There has pretty much always been a near-infinite supply of fast food workers. Why? Because literally anyone can do it. Now, you add to that already plentiful supply by utilizing illegal and cheaper labor. There is no way that is now going to put downward pressure on wages. The Supply is huge. Thus the Demand is diminished if not extinguished.

On the flip side, becoming a good brain surgeon is not something most will ever be able to do. The Supply is limited. The Demand huge.

Conclusion: You cannot talk livable wages whilst importing tons of cheap labor. The two notions are inherently and obviously contradictory.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:33 AM

20,523 posts, read 15,961,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Well it is City-Data so of course it's going to be racist. The issue isn't "low education" but rather income opportunities available to those of various races. The US prides itself as being a Equal Opportunity nation when it comes to incomes but notice they will hire Hispanics for lower wages or under pay Illegals if they can get away with it.
Notice how they can't do that to blacks anymore since they have had Civil Rights legislation since the 1960's.
Capitalism at it's finest exploiting the worker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Supply & Demand is always a factor.

Example: There has pretty much always been a near-infinite supply of fast food workers. Why? Because literally anyone can do it. Now, you add to that already plentiful supply by utilizing illegal and cheaper labor. There is no way that is now going to put downward pressure on wages. The Supply is huge. Thus the Demand is diminished if not extinguished.

On the flip side, becoming a good brain surgeon is not something most will ever be able to do. The Supply is limited. The Demand huge.

Conclusion: You cannot talk livable wages whilst importing tons of cheap labor. The two notions are inherently and obviously contradictory.
Easy fix: really slow down legal immigration AND go after illegal aliens along with their employers hard. But the Wash DC people ain't got the balls to do the right thing here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies