Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 09:09 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times

Advertisements

Yes, history and science have shown, the weak and the freaks need protection, or society would eliminate them as mother nature always has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 09:12 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,327,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It makes mockery of democracy.
Yeah, I know!

But when democracy is already making a mockery of itself...

See Brown v Board of Education.

See Loving v Virginia

Old 05-23-2015, 09:22 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Then it is Marriage at the government levels, be struck down as unconstitutional.
The Constitution gives no authority to the federal government, to control marriage in any way. Be it Hetro, or Homo.
But the federal government *does* control the benefits it offers to married couples - for instance tax treatment and Social Security benefits. So when legally married same-sex couples wanted to know why they couldn't get the same access to those benefits that straight couples had, SCOTUS said, you're right, there is no compelling government interest in barring those benefits to same-sex couples.

And SCOTUS is right - there is no compelling government interest that could justify this particular brand of discrimination.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:23 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Yes, history and science have shown, the weak and the freaks need protection, or society would eliminate them as mother nature always has.
Women are weak and freaks? Black people are weak and freaks? Native Americans are weak and freaks?

Stay classy.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:07 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Women are weak and freaks? Black people are weak and freaks? Native Americans are weak and freaks?

Stay classy.
Not to mention the elderly, disabled veterans, police officers and fire fighters injured in the line of duty, children, and the sick.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:59 AM

10,235 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
There have been quite a few of our States here that have had the People vote on it already.
It has been largely rejected.
People's attitudes change. Florida's referendum to ban gay married passed in 2008, but according to polls as of even 2013, it would not pass again, but the turnaround recently was more than support for the ban in 2008.

Poll: 75% of Florida Voters Support Gay Marriage | Local | News | SFGN Articles

BTW, I noted NO on that ban. I was also 60 years old at the time. My lesbian daughter deserves the right to marry the person she loves just as much as my straight daughter does.

My lesbian daughter will be celebrating her 2nd Anniversary (NY) this August. My straight daughter will be celebrating her 6th Anniversary (NY) this July. Mom is very happy for both her girls.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:07 AM

943 posts, read 782,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfloon View Post
Hi all we have a historic vote in Ireland today on same sex marriage, although we we aren't the first country to legalise same sex marriage we are the first country to have a public vote on the issue. I'm pretty certain that it is going to be legalised if the polls are anything to go by . I reckon only if there is a low voter turn out it won't be legalised as the vast majority of younger people in the country are for legalising it and the mainly rural religious older generation are against it.

My question is if same sex marriage is not legal in your country/state to you believe it would be legalised if the public where given the opportunity to vote on the issue? Or if same sex marriage is legal in your country/state do you think it would have been legalised if the public were given the option to vote on the issue?

If so/not why do you think it this would be, religious views, popular public opinion, other etc...
Maryland voted for same sex marriage a couple years ago. I voted for it. But peoples civil rights should not be up for a vote.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:10 AM

943 posts, read 782,737 times
Quote:
Most States which have legalized it have NOT voted on it, the courts simply decided to make is legal. I live in Florida, and we never voted on it, but the gay activist courts declared it legal. Just like that. It makes mockery of democracy.

Out of the 37 States which have legalized it, only 3 voted to legalize it.

Californians voted against it, and the gays activist judges legalized it anyway. Tell me that doesn't mock democracy.
Peoples rights should not be up to popular vote. I imagine Jim crow would have last up to the 70s if it was up to the white public.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:10 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Ireland Votes Overwhelmingly To Approve Same-Sex Marriage : The Two-Way : NPR

Hooray for Ireland for being in the vanguard.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:30 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Most States which have legalized it have NOT voted on it, the courts simply decided to make is legal. I live in Florida, and we never voted on it, but the gay activist courts declared it legal. Just like that. It makes mockery of democracy.

Out of the 37 States which have legalized it, only 3 voted to legalize it.

Californians voted against it, and the gays activist judges legalized it anyway. Tell me that doesn't mock democracy.

1. Several states passed it on the State Legislative level (NY, VT, IL, HI, NH, DE and some others). A few states whose bans were overturned by the courts, then passed legalization on the legislative level as well.

2. Public opinion has changed dramatically on the issue since most of those bans were passed. Many of the states would not pass a ban now.

3. The job of a Judge is to rule if a law is Constitutional or not. A Judge ruling if a law is Constitutional or not isn't making a mockery of Democracy. It is their job to make that ruling. Judges from all ideological backgrounds, appointed by each of the last five Presidents have ruled it Unconstitutional. It isn't an "activist" decision, it is a LEGAL decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies