Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2015, 05:33 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Terrible news, punish the poor. Soon it will be evident that welfare and other programs won't solve these states financial problems.

These are feel good measures that are fake, remember the welfare law in Kansas? Purposefully named the "cruise ship" program to make headlines and make the poor seem irresponsible and make the right wingers look responsible?

It had NOTHING to do with cruise ships, just to punish poor people.

I will laugh when Kansas, Arizona and other states are still mired chest deep in crap!
Arizona is with not just cutting into the fat on issues. There was a recent (by recent i mean in the last two years) issue with CPS dropping cases due to the cuts in the system. The AZ legislature complained and eventually it was privatized because of the issues. Why couldn't they just privatize in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 06:20 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Did you have a car, or did you work 4 jobs without a car?
My car was broken for a year. You going to keep moving the goal posts? Because I bet I can beat them all.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:33 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,706,185 times
If Arizona wants to do this to the residents of their state, fine. If the residents of their state don't agree and didn't vote, let it be a lesson learned. If residents of Arizona are angry, maybe they should get more involved in their elections.

Maybe a year is enough, maybe it's not but I've seen Arizona change into a pretty terrible place and am glad I don't live there.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Arizona is with not just cutting into the fat on issues. There was a recent (by recent i mean in the last two years) issue with CPS dropping cases due to the cuts in the system. The AZ legislature complained and eventually it was privatized because of the issues. Why couldn't they just privatize in the first place?
You mean like privatizing prisons so it becomes a money making operation?

"On a recent Friday afternoon, with budget negotiations winding down, Arizona state representative John Kavanagh was racing against the clock. His position as House Appropriations Chairman afforded him the opportunity to stuff whatever minor extra provisions he wanted into the budget before it went to a vote the following Monday, and he only had a few hours left to do it.
What was Kavanagh frantically trying to accomplish for his constituents at the last minute? Extra funding for education, since Arizona spends less on educating its children than all but three states? No, Rep. John Kavanagh was trying to secure an extra $900,000 gift for the GEO Group, the billion-dollar private prison corporation..."

America on lockdown: Why the private prison industry is exploding - Salon.com

Old 05-26-2015, 06:45 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,362,934 times
Gah...prisons should never ever be privatized. Incentivizing imprisonment is a horrific idea.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Gah...prisons should never ever be privatized. Incentivizing imprisonment is a horrific idea.
Totally agree and you can see the result:

If it weren’t for the flexibility of the GEO Group, how else could Arizona’s correction officials reach their forecasted benchmark of 43,000 prisoners—a 9.3 percent increase from current levels—by 2016?

People may think privatizing everything sounds great - until they are the one that gets pulled over for missing a stop sign and ends up in jail.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:58 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,809 times
Guess they'll be coming here (NY).

Old 05-26-2015, 07:39 PM

1,733 posts, read 948,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
You make that sound so easy.

If that, that worked for you, worked for everyone, do your realize that would solve the problem of, massive layoffs and unemployment in this country.

Hint, key words "Worked for everyone".

There was a time, then there was another time and since I have spent time in both times I know some people have not had the experience of the 'good' lesson yet.

It wasn't, not by a long shot. But I did what I had to do to pay my bills and begin to dig myself out of the hole I had dug. The only difference between what I've done and what some "others" have done, is not expect someone else to fix problems I created. Plenty of other people have done the same thing, btw.

IMO, the problem is the entitlement attitude prevalent these days.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:41 PM

1,733 posts, read 948,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
There was a time where part time jobs would work around your schedule at other jobs. Its 2015, those days are gone, having multiple jobs is difficult in the extreme.
Full time day job, part time night job. Problem solved.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:46 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,362,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
Full time day job, part time night job. Problem solved.
Go for it. do it.

Its one of those things easier said then done. I HAVE done it...but that was in a time where part time jobs would only require night hours, or day hours. Now? Its all about the flexibility and 24x7 availability.

Can it be done? Maybe. Depends on your area and the employers. Most of my local one require you to be available for any shift....even for part time. Because they cAN get people that will be-if you won't be....your uncompetitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies