Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 11:05 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Found this on reallcearpolitcs and just had to share, since it makes some points that I always make.

The True Black Tragedy - Walter E. Williams - Page 1

The pathologies that we see in the black community do not go back to slavery and have nothing to do with racism. They are entirely new and self created. Some facts:

In 1925 New York City, 85 percent of black families were two-parent. One study of 19th-century slave families found that in up to three-fourths of the families, all the children had the same mother and father.

In 1940, black illegitimacy stood at 14 percent. It had risen to 25 percent by 1965, when Daniel Patrick Moynihan wrote "The Negro Family: The Case for National Action" and was widely condemned as a racist. By 1980, the black illegitimacy rate had more than doubled, to 56 percent, and it has been growing since.

In 1948, the unemployment rate for black teens was slightly less than that of their white counterparts -- 9.4 percent compared with 10.2. During that same period, black youths were either just as active in the labor force or more so than white youths.

If we love and value our African American citizens, we will start telling the truth about the dysfunctional nature of the inner city black communities as a first step towards solving the problems. Blacks continue to lag behind whites, Hispanics and Asians because there is a lack of effort, an entitlement mentality, and most of all, a complete dearth of goals, standards, or expectations in the inner city black communities.

In the inner city black community, it is acceptable to not have a job. It is acceptable to use EBT cards and be on AFDC. It is acceptable to live in public housing. It is acceptable to spend most life in a state of intoxication. It is acceptable to have multiple children out of wedlock. It is acceptable to glorify pimps and other villains. It is acceptable, even desirable, to have a criminal record. It is acceptable to fail at school. It is acceptable to resort to violence.

The modern welfare state has made these things not only acceptable, but desirable. When failure brings free goods and services courtesy of Uncle Sam and the tax payer, then failure becomes the goal.

I no longer care if people call me a racist- I consider those who coddle and enable the destructive behavior of the inner city black community to be the true racists. Nor do I care about he faux complexity argument that I always receive ad nauseum . I ask that all those who really care about black people, want them to achieve success and believe in them as human beings stand with me and the author of this fine article in telling the truth.

Peace.
No sources cited in the article the OP linked to make diva a skeptical girl. Especially because the author is an academic. Sources, please. Wouldn't the author of the article expect that of his freshmen students?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 11:50 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
You post is exactly the kind of pseudo-mystical thinking that I referring to when I talked about faux complexity: it has nothing to do with blacks themselves and their behavior. We must reject that. It is some kind of unseen, unobtainable third force that is causing the violence, poverty and criminality. Well, no. It is black behavior.
Let me be clear then. There is nothing mystical about it. Black people, on average, have substantially lower IQs than others. And residents of inner city ghettos have lower IQs than the black American average of 85, likely below 80. You say that these sub-80 IQ blacks fail to achieve at the average level of Hispanics, whites and Asians because of "lack of effort, an entitlement mentality, and most of all, a complete dearth of goals, standards". Would you walk into a suburban special needs classroom or assisted living center and say the same thing to a group of sub-80 IQ non-blacks? What does this accomplish?

Old 05-25-2015, 11:51 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You misunderstood my argument.

im not debating percentage of the population, I am indeed talking about sure numbers because if the OP was correct, white people who make up the same percentage of welfare recipients would be doing just the same as black people, but they arent.

The bold is not an answer.if there are 10,000 people in a city, stats say 2,500 are on some form of welfare, 1250 are black, 1250 are white ( this is an example, so there are no hispanics, asians......), and yet those 1250 whites who have the same percentage of OOW, and education level are still doing better than black people, and if you go by Pew Research Center, they have equal numbers of fatherless children

It obviously isnt just because of the welfare state or fatherhood. thats my point.

To come to a solution we must first acknowledge that the problem is not as simple as you laid out.

Thank you for the clarification.

I agree, absent fathers and welfare are merely symptoms of the disease.

The disease is that blacks view themselves as an inferior race always in need of rescue.

Old 05-26-2015, 03:51 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,121,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Yes, you did. Own it.
Uh, no I didn't. You simply did not read what I actually did say. What you are doing is called "straw man fallacy."

I am explicitly and clearly talking about something far more insidious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Let me be clear then. There is nothing mystical about it. Black people, on average, have substantially lower IQs than others. And residents of inner city ghettos have lower IQs than the black American average of 85, likely below 80. You say that these sub-80 IQ blacks fail to achieve at the average level of Hispanics, whites and Asians because of "lack of effort, an entitlement mentality, and most of all, a complete dearth of goals, standards". Would you walk into a suburban special needs classroom or assisted living center and say the same thing to a group of sub-80 IQ non-blacks? What does this accomplish?
Now, I don't want to straw man you, so please, let us clarify, are you saying that blacks have lower IQs due to genetic reasons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
No sources cited in the article the OP linked to make diva a skeptical girl. Especially because the author is an academic. Sources, please. Wouldn't the author of the article expect that of his freshmen students?
I believe that he did cite DP Moynhan's report. Also, I believe that I read these same statistics in college in THE MINORITY REPORT.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:40 AM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Studies have shown - and this is one of the times that many democrats ignore science for political purposes - that children growing up in single parent homes are MORE likely to:

-Drop out of school
-Wind up in prison
-Wind up or stay in poverty
-Become a dead beat dad or single mother themself

EVEN IF you adjust for race, soci-economic status, and location...

Generally speaking, two parent households are superior to single parent households. That doesn't mean single mothers should be shamed or that single parent households can't be great with other family helping out.

With 3 out of every 4 black kids not living with their dad, there is a problem.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:40 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Some Blacks and other minority poor folks may have created their own economic problems but they had a lot of help from the almost successful majority.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:30 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,118,859 times
Quote:
Some facts:

In 1925 New York City, 85 percent of black families were two-parent. One study of 19th-century slave families found that in up to three-fourths of the families, all the children had the same mother and father.

In 1940, black illegitimacy stood at 14 percent. It had risen to 25 percent by 1965, when Daniel Patrick Moynihan wrote "The Negro Family: The Case for National Action" and was widely condemned as a racist. By 1980, the black illegitimacy rate had more than doubled, to 56 percent, and it has been growing since.
So, we had much, much more two-parent black families 75-90 years ago, right? Were things better back then for the blacks? In some ways yet, in other ways no, I imagine. There have been intervening events, like the New Deal, the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and so on, thus I recognize that it is not an apples-to-apples comparison.

Yet, I don't believe that single parent households are the sole reason for black poverty, as it is claimed here. It is a lot more complicated than that. But I do agree that a working single mother is not going to be able to watch her kid(s) adequately to make sure they are studying and not getting into trouble. Also, the paramount importance of education is not stressed enough to the black youngsters by their parents and community, as compared to whites and Asians.

Mick

Old 05-26-2015, 06:49 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
I cannot believe that in 2015 we are still debating if having scores of children out of wedlock is a negative or not.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:19 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:

Now, I don't want to straw man you, so please, let us clarify, are you saying that blacks have lower IQs due to genetic reasons?
I've been told that that topic may not be discussed at CD. And for our purposes here it doesn't matter anyway. Whatever the reasons for differing IQ levels may be they are a fact of life that we don't know how to change. Education makes little lasting difference. People born with sub-80 IQs, no matter their race, will always struggle in school. They won't become college material no matter how diligent they are and their options in the workforce will be extremely limited.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:50 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,412,409 times
It is curious to wonder what would have happened if Malcolm X and MLK had been suggesting that accounting be mandatory for all Black kids and the White consumerism was stupid.

Have any White economists suggested such things? They don't mention planned obsolescence and what consumers lose on the depreciation of junk every year.

psik
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies