Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 01:16 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,122,865 times

Advertisements

Found this on reallcearpolitcs and just had to share, since it makes some points that I always make.

The True Black Tragedy - Walter E. Williams - Page 1

The pathologies that we see in the black community do not go back to slavery and have nothing to do with racism. They are entirely new and self created. Some facts:

In 1925 New York City, 85 percent of black families were two-parent. One study of 19th-century slave families found that in up to three-fourths of the families, all the children had the same mother and father.

In 1940, black illegitimacy stood at 14 percent. It had risen to 25 percent by 1965, when Daniel Patrick Moynihan wrote "The Negro Family: The Case for National Action" and was widely condemned as a racist. By 1980, the black illegitimacy rate had more than doubled, to 56 percent, and it has been growing since.

In 1948, the unemployment rate for black teens was slightly less than that of their white counterparts -- 9.4 percent compared with 10.2. During that same period, black youths were either just as active in the labor force or more so than white youths.

If we love and value our African American citizens, we will start telling the truth about the dysfunctional nature of the inner city black communities as a first step towards solving the problems. Blacks continue to lag behind whites, Hispanics and Asians because there is a lack of effort, an entitlement mentality, and most of all, a complete dearth of goals, standards, or expectations in the inner city black communities.

In the inner city black community, it is acceptable to not have a job. It is acceptable to use EBT cards and be on AFDC. It is acceptable to live in public housing. It is acceptable to spend most life in a state of intoxication. It is acceptable to have multiple children out of wedlock. It is acceptable to glorify pimps and other villains. It is acceptable, even desirable, to have a criminal record. It is acceptable to fail at school. It is acceptable to resort to violence.

The modern welfare state has made these things not only acceptable, but desirable. When failure brings free goods and services courtesy of Uncle Sam and the tax payer, then failure becomes the goal.

I no longer care if people call me a racist- I consider those who coddle and enable the destructive behavior of the inner city black community to be the true racists. Nor do I care about he faux complexity argument that I always receive ad nauseum . I ask that all those who really care about black people, want them to achieve success and believe in them as human beings stand with me and the author of this fine article in telling the truth.

Peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 01:21 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,561 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post

I no longer care if people call me a racist- I consider those who coddle and enable the destructive behavior of the inner city black community to be the true racists. Nor do I care about he faux complexity argument that I always receive ad nauseum . I ask that all those who really care about black people, want them to achieve success and believe in them as human beings stand with me and the author of this fine article in telling the truth.

Peace.
Part of telling the truth is being on honest about the problem being far more complex than that. Of course, you already stated you dont want to here that.

But ask yourself this, there are still more white people born OOW than black, why is the problem not the same, There are just as many white people on welfare as black, why are they not viewed the same ?

Old 05-25-2015, 01:35 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,723 times
You see, we can't have this conversation because there are so many elements. Again, as a black man, I see it all around DC. Much the working grades are mostly minority- not because they are forced to, but because they want to. They are in the system so what is to stop them from progressing? It's the sense of complacency and easy life and inability to relate to the white staff. I understand it but I also truly think it is learned behavior as a culture. I get heat all the time because I am always rocking the boat. I get called a "coon" all the time by black folk because I can relate to both blacks and whites while those calling me coon only relate to their black counter parts on the working class level.

But on another note, I am into electronic music. I produce and consult nightclubs. I have a problem in the way that the "black sound" and funk has gone away from dance music and is not fit to be processed by the anglos. The blacks never came together to create a hub and protect the sound. The blacks never built clubs, large festivals, and concepts that would incorporate other cultures while maintaining the integrity of its roots. Why is that? Same reason we have when it comes to businesses, education, buying homes, etc. It's more than just a conversation, there is so much more to it and it will never come to an end. It is so engrained and continues to be especially with the Michelle Obama type speeches.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:44 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,723 times
My job is to throw a wrench in the system. We can't always have one point of view can we now? It's a hard and tough conversation that many of us don't want to have for PC reasons and simply cause many don't understand.

How can we undermine this preacher but then side with the ones he supposedly hates? What insight has he that others don't have? I am more curious as to understanding how we think, not so much the result. The more we understand the mentality and where of which it derives, the more will understand the big picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLdw0LKoutU

Old 05-25-2015, 01:46 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Give a mouse a cookie.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:47 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,122,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Part of telling the truth is being on honest about the problem being far more complex than that. Of course, you already stated you dont want to here that.

But ask yourself this, there are still more white people born OOW than black, why is the problem not the same, There are just as many white people on welfare as black, why are they not viewed the same ?
The answer to both is that blacks are 11-13% of the population whereas whites are 60-70% of the population, depending on how the terms are defined.

It would be statistically extremely improbable for blacks to produce more of each in raw numbers. Yet as a percentage, they dwarf all other demographics, demonstrating crippling pathologies.

I did not mean that we should not talk about complexity at all- only that too many want to declare me a racist and cite some almost pseudo-mystical complexity that I just don't, perhaps even can't understand. If you have a point, feel free to make it. This thread is about solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
You see, we can't have this conversation because there are so many elements. Again, as a black man, I see it all around DC. Much the working grades are mostly minority- not because they are forced to, but because they want to. They are in the system so what is to stop them from progressing? It's the sense of complacency and easy life and inability to relate to the white staff. I understand it but I also truly think it is learned behavior as a culture. I get heat all the time because I am always rocking the boat. I get called a "coon" all the time by black folk because I can relate to both blacks and whites while those calling me coon only relate to their black counter parts on the working class level.

But on another note, I am into electronic music. I produce and consult nightclubs. I have a problem in the way that the "black sound" and funk has gone away from dance music and is not fit to be processed by the anglos. The blacks never came together to create a hub and protect the sound. The blacks never built clubs, large festivals, and concepts that would incorporate other cultures while maintaining the integrity of its roots. Why is that? Same reason we have when it comes to businesses, education, buying homes, etc. It's more than just a conversation, there is so much more to it and it will never come to an end. It is so engrained and continues to be especially with the Michelle Obama type speeches.
You are a good man for rocking the boat. Perhaps you are even the black Moses that will find a solution.

God bless you and yours.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:51 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post

This is not a genuine argument considering blacks are only 13 percent of the population. Break it down by percentages and the truth becomes apparent.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:01 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
The answer to both is that blacks are 11-13% of the population whereas whites are 60-70% of the population, depending on how the terms are defined.

It would be statistically extremely improbable for blacks to produce more of each in raw numbers. Yet as a percentage, they dwarf all other demographics, demonstrating crippling pathologies.
It is pathetic that the poster you responded to, had to be told that.

Quote:
I did not mean that we should not talk about complexity at all- only that too many want to declare me a racist and cite some almost pseudo-mystical complexity that I just don't, perhaps even can't understand. If you have a point, feel free to make it. This thread is about solutions.

You are a good man for rocking the boat. Perhaps you are even the black Moses that will find a solution.

God bless you and yours.
The war on drugs isn't helping either. If The Redeem Act is passed it will level the playing field a bit.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:39 PM

109 posts, read 74,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It is pathetic that the poster you responded to, had to be told that.
To be fair, it's rare to see a liberal have even a basic understanding of statistics.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:27 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,561 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
This is not a genuine argument considering blacks are only 13 percent of the population. Break it down by percentages and the truth becomes apparent.
You misunderstood my argument.

im not debating percentage of the population, I am indeed talking about sure numbers because if the OP was correct, white people who make up the same percentage of welfare recipients would be doing just the same as black people, but they arent.

Quote:

The bold is not an answer.if there are 10,000 people in a city, stats say 2,500 are on some form of welfare, 1250 are black, 1250 are white ( this is an example, so there are no hispanics, asians......), and yet those 1250 whites who have the same percentage of OOW, and education level are still doing better than black people, and if you go by Pew Research Center, they have equal numbers of fatherless children

It obviously isnt just because of the welfare state or fatherhood. thats my point.

To come to a solution we must first acknowledge that the problem is not as simple as you laid out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies