Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 09:48 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
No, the real issue is that she is stupid.
She is not stupid, I already stated what I think the problem is, it is primarily because she is married to Barack Obama and secondarily because she is black, and if race wasn't an issue to a large number of CD posters you would not see dozens of threads every day where people obsess on race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 09:59 PM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Does anybody know what she mean? This woman is speaking another language. She's a complete idiot. Did any of you hear her speech? "The earth is warming and the oceans are rising!"

Oh, brother. Cant' she just shut up?

What an embarrassment!

And as luck would have it ... perfect timing ... this just showed up:

ANOTHER LEFT-WING RANT FROM THE FIRST LADY: Michelle Obama 'Shapes a Revolution
I just went on the White House website and I am speechless. She supposedly is a lawyer. This speech barely passes for Ebonics much less English. Here's the excerpt, and she made the "no hands" remark twice in this Oberlin speech (link):
And, graduates, with a degree from this amazing school, and all the status and connections that degree confers, you don’t get to have no hands. No, you don’t get to be precious or cautious or cynical. No, not when the earth is warming and the oceans are rising. You don’t get to be cynical. Not when too many young people still languish in communities ripped apart by violence and despair. Not when women still make less than men for the same work. Not when millions of girls across the globe never set foot inside a school. (Applause.) No, not when many young people just like you -- the men and women we honor this Memorial Day –- have sacrificed their lives for your freedom to make your voice heard. You don’t get to have no hands.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I just went on the White House website and I am speechless. She supposedly is a lawyer. This speech barely passes for Ebonics much less English. Here's the excerpt, and she made the "no hands" remark twice in this Oberlin speech (link):
And, graduates, with a degree from this amazing school, and all the status and connections that degree confers, you don’t get to have no hands. No, you don’t get to be precious or cautious or cynical. No, not when the earth is warming and the oceans are rising. You don’t get to be cynical. Not when too many young people still languish in communities ripped apart by violence and despair. Not when women still make less than men for the same work. Not when millions of girls across the globe never set foot inside a school. (Applause.) No, not when many young people just like you -- the men and women we honor this Memorial Day –- have sacrificed their lives for your freedom to make your voice heard. You don’t get to have no hands.
Let me help you recover from your speechlessness. You intentionally leave out the beginning of the speech, which provides context for the phrase "you don't get to have no hands"

"Folks like Lucy Stone and FDR, they didn’t get caught up in their egos or their ideology. They didn’t say “it’s my way or the highway.” Instead, they knew where they wanted to go, and they were strategic and pragmatic about getting there. Because in the end, they understood, as the political scientist Joseph Nye once said, that “The absolutist may avoid the problem of dirty hands, but often at the cost of having no hands at all.

It was quite disingenuous of you to do that.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:22 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
For those of you who have to be hit over the head in order to snap you out of your brainwashed state, it's worth repeating yet again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Let me help you recover from your speechlessness. You intentionally leave out the beginning of the speech, which provides context for the phrase "you don't get to have no hands"

"Folks like Lucy Stone and FDR, they didn’t get caught up in their egos or their ideology. They didn’t say “it’s my way or the highway.” Instead, they knew where they wanted to go, and they were strategic and pragmatic about getting there. Because in the end, they understood, as the political scientist Joseph Nye once said, that “The absolutist may avoid the problem of dirty hands, but often at the cost of having no hands at all.

I honestly weep for our educational system that turns out people who can't search a simple speech for a reference they are confused by and then make sense of it. Shocking actually.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
For those of you who have to be hit over the head in order to snap you out of your brainwashed state, it's worth repeating yet again:

I honestly weep for our educational system that turns out people who can't search a simple speech for a reference they are confused by and then make sense of it. Shocking actually.
It's sadder yet when they intentionally leave it out so that the phrase looks nonsensical taken out of context, but I guess that's how some people have fun

Old 07-01-2015, 10:47 PM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
It's sadder yet when they intentionally leave it out so that the phrase looks nonsensical taken out of context, but I guess that's how some people have fun
Ater her Tuskegee speech I'll admit to not having an open mind on Moochie, oops, Michelle. She and her husband are both race baiters and phonies.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:01 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
Quote:
Does anybody know what she mean? This woman is speaking another language. She's a complete idiot. Did any of you hear her speech? "The earth is warming and the oceans are rising!"

Oh, brother. Cant' she just shut up?

What an embarrassment!

And as luck would have it ... perfect timing ... this just showed up:

ANOTHER LEFT-WING RANT FROM THE FIRST LADY: Michelle Obama 'Shapes a Revolution
Well, seeing as you seem incapable of administering a Google search and interpreting a comment within context, here you go. It makes rational sense in context of her preceding statement, which you conveniently left out.

When you intentionally take little snippets of things out of context in an effort to make your intended target look stupid, it actually makes you look stupid, because the rest of the world knows how to go look up the facts. You can disagree with it, but at least having the integrity to make arguments based on the full relevant context. It may earn you some credibility long the way.

Quote:
Mrs Obama told the Class of 2015 that in the real world, there will be people who will think differently from them, but she challenged them to work with these very people to move the country forward.

'If you want to change their minds, if you want to work with them to move this country forward, you can't just shut them out,' she said.

'You have to persuade them and you have to compromise with them. That is what so many of our heroes of history have done.'

'In the end they understood as the political scientist Joseph Nye once said that "the absolutist may avoid the problem of dirty hands but often at the cost of having no hands at all",' she continued.

'And graduates, with a degree from this amazing school and all the status that the degree confers, you don't get to have no hands. No, you don't get to be precious or cautious or cynical.

Read more: Michelle Obama addresses graduates urging them to get involved in civic life | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Old 07-01-2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Well, seeing as you seem incapable of administering a Google search and interpreting a comment within context, here you go. It makes rational sense in context of her preceding statement, which you conveniently left out.

When you intentionally take little snippets of things out of context in an effort to make your intended target look stupid, it actually makes you look stupid, because the rest of the world knows how to go look up the facts. You can disagree with it, but at least having the integrity to make arguments based on the full relevant context. It may earn you some credibility long the way.
they are misquoting it on purpose, they leave out the first part of the speech in order to put their nasty little spin on the rest of it. Don't even bother, they are being obtuse. They pop up all over CD pretty much on every thread that involves any discussion of race.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:51 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,393,969 times
Quote:
they are misquoting it on purpose, they leave out the first part of the speech in order to put their nasty little spin on the rest of it. Don't even bother, they are being obtuse. They pop up all over CD pretty much on every thread that involves any discussion of race.
Anti-Michelle Obama threads like this are par for the course around here on CD. Quite a while ago I started a thread asking why so many conservatives hated her. The thread got so embarrassing with some of the vitriol and responses that the mods deleted it (er, I mean, hid it "for review").

They are so threatened by her that it's comical.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:14 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,238,044 times
Quote:

It is called twisting the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies