Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 01:37 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Ask Sowell.

All I know is that what he's saying makes perfect sense.

Actually, you can look at the footnotes in his book. Sowell does not just wing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 01:37 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bioendoic View Post
Conservative columnist Thomas Sowell wrote an essay (summarized here: Black rednecks and white liberals - Thomas Sowell - Page full claiming that American black culture is largely redneck.
I see many similarities, one striking point is how many southerners still blame northerners for the dismal economy in the south while claiming black americans blame white americans for the same thing.
There are many, many problems, intellectually and historically, with the linked essay, but I'll only point out a few:
    • The analysis completely ignores the "Great Migration" of African Americans to the urban North in the early 20th Century, mostly after WWI but also after WWII and in the inter-war period, and it thereby fails to account for important developments in African-American culture that were independent from although rooted in southern culture;
    • Given that perhaps willful ignorance, the analysis does not take into account any of the well-documented federal racist policies that led to northern, urban ghetto formation, including but not limited to redlining, covenant agreements, and FHA lending policies that also had a hand in creating black urban culture;
    • The analysis does not take into account the pro-business and anti-labor policies of the "New South" that arose in the post-Civil Rights Movement era that actually made the Sun Belt prosperous (see Lassiter and McGirr for more on that). A lot of people actually got rich on the backs of "rednecks,' and reasonable people are still arguing about what that might mean for the region in particular and the country in general.
    • The analysis fails to account for the campaign of racially-based terrorism waged against black people in the U.S. from Reconstruction on through the Civil Rights Movement, up through, say, Medgar Evers' assassination and the killings of three activists in MS in 1964.

These are just a few easy flaws I found in what Sowell is trying to argue, but there are many more. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, and merely maintain that his claims are incredibly simplistic.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:41 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,329,154 times
Quote:
White folks don't lay down for ANY COMPARISONS to blacks...even positive ones, without harsh research and examination.
"White" folks are fully capable of throwing under the bus lessor white folks when it is convenient, and I suspect that this screed is quite convenient for the circles of "white folks" that Sowell frequents.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:46 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,873,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
No it is not redneck culture. The black people I know are not drunks or alcoholics, do not spend thier money on "bling" (an outdated hip hop term by the way), and do not fight or spend money foolishly.
Yes, there are many black people with the last names, Jefferson and Washington.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:58 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
No it is not redneck culture. The black people I know are not drunks or alcoholics, do not spend thier money on "bling" (an outdated hip hop term by the way), and do not fight or spend money foolishly.
Neither do the rednecks that I know.
Why do people generalize about groups of people?

Old 05-29-2015, 02:03 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,299,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
There are many, many problems, intellectually and historically, with the linked essay, but I'll only point out a few:
    • The analysis completely ignores the "Great Migration" of African Americans to the urban North in the early 20th Century, mostly after WWI but also after WWII and in the inter-war period, and it thereby fails to account for important developments in African-American culture that were independent from although rooted in southern culture;
    • Given that perhaps willful ignorance, the analysis does not take into account any of the well-documented federal racist policies that led to northern, urban ghetto formation, including but not limited to redlining, covenant agreements, and FHA lending policies that also had a hand in creating black urban culture;
    • The analysis does not take into account the pro-business and anti-labor policies of the "New South" that arose in the post-Civil Rights Movement era that actually made the Sun Belt prosperous (see Lassiter and McGirr for more on that). A lot of people actually got rich on the backs of "rednecks,' and reasonable people are still arguing about what that might mean for the region in particular and the country in general.
    • The analysis fails to account for the campaign of racially-based terrorism waged against black people in the U.S. from Reconstruction on through the Civil Rights Movement, up through, say, Medgar Evers' assassination and the killings of three activists in MS in 1964.

These are just a few easy flaws I found in what Sowell is trying to argue, but there are many more. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, and merely maintain that his claims are incredibly simplistic.
Great post, but people are just looking for a rationale to justify what they already believe.

See most Americans know and believe that there is something wrong within the black race that is really the cause of racial inequality, they are just waiting for any credible sounding idea to espouse.

Reality and history be damned. They don't want to know.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:13 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Anyone postulating something as controversial as tracing the worst aspects of black culture to its white American origins can't POSSIBLY hope that those claims won't be closely examined. Not even a Zen-like figure such as Sowell whose words have more gravitas than anyone else's on the right.

White folks don't lay down for ANY COMPARISONS to blacks...even positive ones, without harsh research and examination.

I can't even offer a white man a piece of watermelon without him getting uncomfortable. Get real.

If I know this, Sowell knows it too.
I can't say I'm all that big on watermellon, but if ya'all want to invite me over for some fried chicken, I'm in.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:25 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
See most Americans know and believe that there is something wrong within the black race that is really the cause of racial inequality, they are just waiting for any credible sounding idea to espouse.
Do not confuse race and culture. There is nothing wrong with the black race. See Sowell's rebuttal of the conclusions of The Bell Curve for a deeper understanding of this. Sowell does not claim there are not other influences. Nor does he deny many blacks have escaped the grips of redneck culture.

The Economics and Politics of Race: An International Perspective. by Thomas Sowell

In this book Sowell goes into many of the other aspects of black America and racial politics in general. This book is the book that should be read first.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:37 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I can't say I'm all that big on watermellon, but if ya'all want to invite me over for some fried chicken, I'm in.
Why did I know this was coming?

Old 05-29-2015, 02:41 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
"White" folks are fully capable of throwing under the bus lessor white folks when it is convenient, and I suspect that this screed is quite convenient for the circles of "white folks" that Sowell frequents.
Perhaps...I don't doubt it.

Still though, what Sowell is postulating here is not only accurate, but makes perfect sense given America's history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies