Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2008, 09:58 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Cool, then I can't wait til the day someone sues you for discrimination & WINS. Also, like I posted earlier, let's see how you think if someone you're close to gets canned.
The law says I cannot discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, age etc -

That does not mean I cannot fire someone ... "just because" -

OBTW - I represent clients who get sued for discrimination where it is alleged the reason for firing was in violation of federal law. So far - I've successfully defended 100% of my clients -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 10:02 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Owning a gun as a right is irrelevant as well. Guns are a cause of a lot of misery my friend...I think background checks to own one is not too much to ask. You get annoyed by something so small, you're hiding something.
The point is however - you can purchase a firearm, legally, without a background check.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:52 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Owning a gun as a right is irrelevant as well. Guns are a cause of a lot of misery my friend...I think background checks to own one is not too much to ask. You get annoyed by something so small, you're hiding something.
Guns dont cause misery, I'd say ignorance of them & an unwillingness to stand up for ones self causes misery, not the tools you can use to save yourself. As I said, backround checks dont bother me much in themselves, its the principal. If guns were irrelevant we would still be part of England.

But they are relevant in this context because its one, just one of many but a significant one, reason why we are free. & why I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I think limiting freedom in the hopes of a Utopian society is,,,,um stupid.

Last edited by Tin Knocker; 06-26-2008 at 05:08 AM..

Old 06-26-2008, 05:02 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The law says I cannot discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, age etc -

That does not mean I cannot fire someone ... "just because" -

OBTW - I represent clients who get sued for discrimination where it is alleged the reason for firing was in violation of federal law. So far - I've successfully defended 100% of my clients -
Yep, people dont see that by forbiding an employer from fireing a minoroty, gay, or any other group they are discriminating themselves. Special protections based on race or sexual preferences are discriminatory.

Last edited by Tin Knocker; 06-26-2008 at 05:10 AM..

Old 06-26-2008, 05:43 AM

19 posts, read 29,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkshires413 View Post
The thought of moving out of the United States would have never in a million years even entered my mind 10 years ago. Having said that though, today, if it were a realistic possibility - I would seriously consider it.

I see where this country is going... you have to be a fool not to.

Here are my reasons as to why I would possibly leave this country:

#1. A never ending barrage of absurd bought and paid for corrupt politicians cheerleading... a never ending... hideous, unwinnable "War on Terror" - along with a bought and paid for mainstream media that does nothing but deliver half truths or outright falsehoods. I also firmly believe that elections are now a farce. And once you lose that, you lose democracy - and from there so goes the America we once knew.

#2. The breakdown of moral structure within the media - that aside from their inability to deliver the truth to the American public in regards to domestic and world events - does nothing but spoon feed the public garbage movies, music and television... which is full of violence and shallow materialism. (Surely we are not living in Arthur Fonzerelli's "Happy Days" anymore... are we? Ah....)

#3. The people who are completely oblivious to #'s 1 & 2.... and there are many - Sorry - I simply want do not want to breathe the same air space as them. The last decade or so has made me realize how stupid so many Americans are.... it's really sad... but I have no tolerance for it.

This is just a quick reply to this subject - I'm sure I could write until the cows come home as to all the things that really worry me, tick me off, etc.... as to where this country is heading... (you know, other minor things like Bush's raping of the Constitution, massive debt, illegal immigration, economy teetering on the brink...) but I'll stop here.

In closing I will say this again: Growing up as a baseball loving, Andy Griffith watching... America-is-the-best-place-in-the-world type of kid.... it pains me to even think of moving out of this country.

Good luck to us all........... even those of you who can't see what the hell is going on.... we are entering uncharted waters, folks.
I agree with the sentiments expressed above. A few years ago, the idea of leaving the U.S., especially permanently, wasn't even in my wildest dreams. Visiting other places, sure. But moving? No.

And then the breakdown of our society grew more apparent with each passing year, markedly so after the dotcom bubble burst and the realization that we are living in an unsustainable consumption-driven economy settled in. Multinational corporations outsourced much of our major industries overseas all the while wooing our easily-corrupted elected officials into catering to their interests above those of the American populace. Christian Fundamentalism is on the rise, racial bigotry toward Arabs is widely tolerated, and our education system sucks (ranked 17th last I checked). I've lived without health insurance for 13.5 of the last 15 years (part of which I was a minor) and still lack access to it now. They quoted me $400/mo. for an independent policy. Who can afford that? Not I.

Interest rates are up and rising. The value of the dollar is collapsing while China continues buying up U.S. Treasury Bonds. The housing market crashed and people are losing their homes due to defaulting on sub-prime loans. I can't afford fuel and might as well not even have a car, but how does one get around in most cities without one?

Times aren't good. Perhaps it's just America's time for a priorities and reality check.

But with all of that above (and much more for another thread), what really causes me to think about moving abroad are my fellow Americans. I love and will miss plenty of folks and my family will remain here, but the bickering and apathy has worn out my last nerve. We're at war, illegally, and so few even care. If more people would wake up, take notice and care, I'd be more inclined toward staying and standing my ground alongside them. But that's not happening, for reasons that elude me.

While nowhere is perfect, I'm open to other options at this point and am looking into countries in South America and Southeast Asia. My principles and values rank above nationalist pride. I liken it to boycotting a company after becoming aware of its unethical business practices; why should a country be any different? The government has an even greater obligation to the people it is supposed to serve.

But then again, it's become a global issue. Moving won't protect you from it. Though it may allow a bit more breathing room while you work with others toward changing the pending outcome.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:49 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Just wondering if anyone seriously considered moving out of the U.S.?

If so, for what reasons and how would you go about it?

I honestly thought about it from a few factors in my life.
Here goes: from living in Detroit as a youngster and spending alot of time as a teen/young adult in Windsor, Ont., it's hard to believe the differences in the two areas being 'just right across the river'. It really is a microcosm of the differences of the two countries via history, politics and social strata. (ect..) Sometimes, as a teen, young adult, i would feel something 'ain't right' with the U.S.

Another thing is how we're programmed consumers in the U.S. is really disturbing. Take, for instance ,the art of bartering. Most U.S. consumers walk into a store willingly pay for what the price says on most consumer goods. Having lived in Phoenix with a high Mexican/hispanic population coupled with visiting the border town of Nogales, Mexico. I got to see that side of the coin. The art of bartering is lost among many ("mainstream") Americans. It is if though the U.S. (consumer) is one big mass of sheep.

Another reason is the healthcare in the U.S. (that needs no explaning other than the fact that it is fundementally flawed..in a nutshell)

I would like to hear your stories and reasons if you did move out, thought about it or in the process of doing it.

B.G.F.

Americans certainly have their problems, but we are still the best country in the world to live in....why do you think we have so many people coming here from all over the world?

I'd like to see American's take their beliefs to other countries, and try to get away with some of the things they do here...and see where they end up, and what limbs they're certain to miss...

Old 06-26-2008, 06:59 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'd like to see American's take their beliefs to other countries, and try to get away with some of the things they do here...and see where they end up, and what limbs they're certain to miss...
What are you talking about?

I currently live outside of the US. I have at least as much freedom here as I did in the US.
Please explain what you're talking about. It makes no sense to me.
What, the "freedom of speech" zones 1-5 miles from Bush? The right to torture people, yes, I can see how other cultures wouldn't' appreciate that small behavior quirk.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:47 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Cool, then I can't wait til the day someone sues you for discrimination & WINS. Also, like I posted earlier, let's see how you think if someone you're close to gets canned.
what do you mean, discrimination...?

I'm sorry, but there had to be a reason...it's real hard today to fire people...there has to be much paper work on record to prove the employee is unreliable...etc.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:53 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
Quote:
why do you think we have so many people coming here from all over the world?
Well, to be fair, lots of people from all over the world are trying to get into any developed country they can. That's because, of the world's 200-some independent nations, about 100 are really poor, and another 25-30 are fairly to somewhat poor.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:54 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
It's absolutely lovely and the people are great.
Pltvice with all of the waterfalls was wonderful.
I was lucky enough to spend almost 3 weeks camping & hiking there.
The first of my family to return.
The water looks so blue and clear from pics I have seen. Some day I will go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post

As a straight Man if I hug or even smile at a child - I could be charged and or arrested for child molestation or endangerment.
This would never fly in the u.s

YouTube - HARD Gay - Cooking with kids!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies