Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 05:58 PM

1,733 posts, read 948,771 times

Advertisements

And now we have this: http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/mi...#ixzz3bZY6223a

A couple of weeks ago, two students from Ryerson University’s Journalism program were barred from attending an event organized by the ‘Racialized Students’ Collective’ because they are white. You can read the initial report here.

There was debate back and forth about the move, but one response in particular, caught my eye.

A Huffington Post article titled, ‘Ethnic Minorities Deserve Safe Spaces Without White People’.

I couldn’t help but be taken aback by the title. Were my eyes deceiving me? Was I really reading someone blatantly argue for segregation by race?

The author, Aeman Ansari, argues that ethnic minorities have a right to claim public spaces to “share stories about discrimination without judgement and intrusion,” that is, judgement and intrusion by white people. She goes on that many students at Ryerson have experienced racism and that these spaces act as a forum where the ethnic students are protected from stereotypes and marginalization. Furthermore, she states that this is crucial in order to resist oppression.

What oppression might that be? Do you mean like being prevented from attending public spaces due to your race?

Old 05-29-2015, 05:59 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Of course. The KKK descendants are in today's Republican Party.
And the current KKK members get elected by Democrats.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:00 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Except this quote is only found in a unofficial biography by Ronald Kessler, and is not found in any of the actual recordings.

IE some guy said that some guy said that some guy said X.

Kessler has been criticized for his partisanship and inaccuracy in his books before, so this is no surprise.

Its nonsense.
The quote was from Robert M. MacMillan, who was Air Force One steward during the LBJ administration. It was not an anonymous, unsourced quote, made up by Kessler. We do have LBJ on tape using he N-word, and other reports that this was typical for LBJ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1rIDmDWSms

EconomicPolicyJournal.com: What My Father Told Me About LBJ and "******s"

Granted w/ no audio, we will never know for sure about the McMillian quote. But it does accord with what else we know about LBJ, and AFAIK, McMillan had not reason to lie about the quote.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:01 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,419,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
And how many of those signs were being carried by leftists trying to pass themselves off as Tea Party activists?.
I'm guessing zero.

Hell, some of the comments from right-wingers on this board would make the Klan proud. Are they liberals in disguise too?

Old 05-29-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blind melon View Post
Name me one conservative democrat.who supported abolishing slavery
If you want to go back to the 19th century, the political spectrum was completely different. The argument between 'conservative' and 'liberal' did not start until the 20th century.

I just named three liberal Democrats from the mid-20th century who were pro-segregation. I can provide more names if you wish.

The 'Southern Manifesto' of 1956, which asserted the constitutionality of segregated schools, was promoted and signed by people like Sam Ervin, William Fulbright, and John Sparkman. Sparkman was the running mate of liberal Democrat Adlai Stevenson in 1952. The segregationist Democrats of the mid-20th century were largely big gov't liberals. If we go back to the 19th century, the terms 'liberal' and 'conservative' no longer apply.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:18 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The quote was from Robert M. MacMillan, who was Air Force One steward during the LBJ administration. It was not an anonymous, unsourced quote, made up by Kessler. We do have LBJ on tape using he N-word, and other reports that this was typical for LBJ.

Granted w/ no audio, we will never know for sure about the McMillian quote. But it does accord with what else we know about LBJ, and AFAIK, McMillan had not reason to lie about the quote.
The interview where MacMillan provided that quote was done in 1993. Do you remember anything said to you 30 years prior?

Again...ever played telephone? Imagine doing the same thing...except seperating the memory of it by 3 decades.

Its nonsense.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:30 PM

934 posts, read 595,654 times
Quote:
If you want to go back to the 19th century, the political spectrum was completely different. The argument between 'conservative' and 'liberal' did not start until the 20th century.

I just named three liberal Democrats from the mid-20th century who were pro-segregation. I can provide more names if you wish.

The 'Southern Manifesto' of 1956, which asserted the constitutionality of segregated schools, was promoted and signed by people like Sam Ervin, William Fulbright, and John Sparkman. Sparkman was the running mate of liberal Democrat Adlai Stevenson in 1952. The segregationist Democrats of the mid-20th century were largely big gov't liberals. If we go back to the 19th century, the terms 'liberal' and 'conservative' no longer apply.
You guys brought up republicans freeing.the slaves and the formation of the KKK

You cant name on CONSERVATIVE democrat who supported abolishing slavery

Old 05-29-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The interview where MacMillan provided that quote was done in 1993. Do you remember anything said to you 30 years prior?

Again...ever played telephone? Imagine doing the same thing...except seperating the memory of it by 3 decades.

Its nonsense.
We'll never know for sure. I am pretty good at remembering cases where people used he N-word in my presence, even from 30 years ago. Polite people don't go there. It is not a part of normal political discourse.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:48 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
We'll never know for sure. I am pretty good at remembering cases where people used he N-word in my presence, even from 30 years ago. Polite people don't go there. It is not a part of normal political discourse.
Not today it isnt. in 1963? FAR more common.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:51 PM

766 posts, read 1,395,350 times
For reasons I still don't understand???? The KKK was a driving force at the IL/WI borderline. At that particular time they were really focusing on the CATHOLICS! Guess what my family is???? Yep... Catholic!!!!

So my Dad/Mother/Aunt's/Uncle's.... born in the 1930's knew what it was like to be subjected to such.

Yet.... For reasons I still don't understand.... my ELDER'S (those Catholics subjected to such treatment).... became BLIND DEMOCRATS?

Can somebody explain that part to me?

EDIT: Even today, that particular micro region is strongly Democrat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies