Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 09:13 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,772,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Oh yes, the lame "white heterosexual males" are the real victim bull****. Lets be more creative.
I'm not claiming victimhood, although a case could be made for it, I'm commenting on the decline in intellectual discourse now that everyone and their same sex partner can claim "discrimination". It has resulted in a divisive climate. Want to have a conversation about race? Fine, invite everyone to the table and don't demean white heterosexual males. And don't cry "racism" when you think that you are discriminated for being a Muslim. Muslim is not a race.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:14 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,600,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
The same logic that justifies racism justifies discrimination of Muslims. Even if it's not literally racism, it's not different enough for it to matter.
Sure it's different. It's like joining the boyscouts and getting mad when people assume you like the woods.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
How was she going to drink it anyway? Does her cape have a straw hole? And if so would the fight attendant be discriminating if she offered her a straw?
According to the Jerusalem Post story she wanted just the can for "hygienic reasons". If she had just let the flight attendant pour it into a plastic cup then this would never be a story. Instead she wanted her 15 minutes of fame and had to cause a disturbance.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:18 AM

491 posts, read 324,908 times
The story as reported is discrimination. If person A gets an unopened beer can, person B (this lady) can get an unopened soda.

Sometimes bigots make our country look so bad.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:18 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
What, exactly, did she sow?
Muslims around the world being the principle entities in acts of terrorism has created a warranted sense of fear and suspicion.

For the same reason, people become more nervous when a lion yawns (exposing its intimidating fangs), while a yawning cat does not evoke the same response. When a snake coils, we sense fear, while a puppy curling up on a blanket evokes the opposite emotion. When you start putting your hand in a lion's mouth and petting rattlesnakes, then perhaps I can logically understand your position.

If Muslims want to be treated and perceived in the same fashion as those of other religions, they need to stop blowing things up and killing everyone not on their "friends" list.

Sadly, individuals, as you have demonstrated, are no longer able to state what is inherently obvious, due to fears of condemnation via political correctness. Heaven forbid you were called a "racist" or "Islamophobe" for speaking the truth.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleiron1968 View Post
The story as reported is discrimination. If person A gets an unopened beer can, person B (this lady) can get an unopened soda.
What if she had used it as a weapon? You don't even know what the guy who wanted the beer looked like, but the unspoken assumption is that he was a white heterosexual male. "White privilege". It only exists in the minds of people who have a racial agenda and blame white people for all their problems.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:21 AM

3,555 posts, read 4,097,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Muslims around the world being the principle entities in acts of terrorism.

For the same reason, people become more nervous when a lion yawns (exposing its intimidating fangs), while a yawning cat does not evoke the same response.

If Muslims want to be treated and perceived in the same fashion as those of other religions, they need to stop blowing things up and killing everyone not on their "friends" list.

Sadly, individuals, as you have demonstrated, are no longer able to state what is inherently obvious, due to fears of condemnation via political correctness. Heaven forbid you were called a "racist" or "Islamophobe" for speaking the truth.
You realize that the percentage of Muslims engaged in violence of any sort is incredibly small, right? Guilt by association is an incredibly lazy rationale for people incapable of putting together a coherent argument.

6,542 posts, read 4,097,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
I'm not claiming victimhood, although a case could be made for it, I'm commenting on the decline in intellectual discourse now that everyone and their same sex partner can claim "discrimination". It has resulted in a divisive climate. Want to have a conversation about race? Fine, invite everyone to the table and don't demean white heterosexual males. And don't cry "racism" when you think that you are discriminated for being a Muslim. Muslim is not a race.
What's interesting is that you sum of the discrimination of white heterosexual males in a single sentence. Don't demean them. As a white heterosexual, that may very well be the extent of the discrimination I've faced; the occasional snide remark from an activist or a comedian. And yeah, sometimes it's annoying, but then I realize my life isn't any different after hearing that snide remark than it was before, so I just get over it.

But other groups have faced a lot more than snide remarks and continues to suffer these fates even today. I have yet to see large numbers of people saying that an all powerful being has a problem with white men. I have yet to see a white man being denied a service, or given service with great reluctance, just for being a white man.

I mean c'mon, the term white privilege gives itself meaning when white heterosexual males actually decide to compare the occasional snide remarks to genuine discrimination because hurts their feelings.

-sincerely, a heterosexual white male

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times
I am pretty sure this is a very uncomfortable experience for this lady. But I think we should put emotion aside and try to be as unbiased as possible.

She said,

""I am in tears of humiliation from discrimination," she wrote. "The flight attendant asked me what I would like to drink and I requested a can of Diet Coke. She brought me a can that was open so I requested an unopened can due to hygienic reasons. She said no one has consumed from the drink, but I requested an unopened can. She responded, 'Well I'm sorry I just can't give you an unopened can so no Diet Coke for you.' She then brought the man sitting next to me a can of UNOPENED beer. So I asked her again why she refused to give me an UNOPENED can of Diet Coke. She said, 'We are unauthorized to give unopened cans to people because they may use it as a WEAPON on the plane.' "

Yes, the flight attendant could have handled the situation a little bit better, The weapon comment is entirely unnecessary. If I were the flight attendant, I would not give her an unopened can either, but I would make sure I keep my mouth shut to avoid a lawsuit. Unless they have changed their policy, and if I remember this correctly, everybody gets their free drinks poured from an open can on the airplane.

But, I think people should just be happy that they always receive free drink poured from an open can just like everybody else. The beer is paid item that's why they get the whole can.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:26 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,221,262 times
It has nothing to do with denying because she's a Muslim.

They give no one cans on the plane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies