Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 10:28 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
You need to "get real!" The downward slide of America started with the "free love/drugs-are-wonderful/me, me, me" generation! Who's fault was that? The WWII mothers who went to work in the early 1940's and left latch-key kids to grow up without proper discipline; on the other hand if these mothers had not gone to work and taken the place of the young men who went to war and saved our Country and our freedom we would have had other problems, but not the long-range damage to society. But then, my generation who were born before WWII and reached maturities in late 40's and early 50's is responsible for not stepping in to kicking their a$$es and straightening them up to be decent and contribute to society instead of destroying morals and ethics. Lesson learned.

The unfortunate results are that we now have that mentality in political leadership which is speeding the destruction of America to Warp Speed. Now all of us have to step up and restore morality, ethnicity and self responsibility. Most of us have learned what created the mess, thus, we need to pursue correcting that mess. It is up to the citizens of American...not government politicians.
Wow! What a load of horse poop. Just whose morality, ethnicity (WTH is that?), and concept of self-responsibility are "all of us" going to restore? Sounds like we have another case of hardening of the attitudes here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 10:32 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What's with the obsessive beef against the Kardashian family?

What bastard children do they have? They're rich...they can actually afford to have as many children as they want.
Not to mention that "bastard" is in the eyes of the beholder and speaks volumes about his/her small-minded, petty, and mean attitude, while saying absolutely nothing about the children.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:48 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,187,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Not to mention that "bastard" is in the eyes of the beholder and speaks volumes about his/her small-minded, petty, and mean attitude, while saying absolutely nothing about the children.
The Kardashian thing is about something else with many of their fiercest critics...

And I don't really need to elaborate on it so I'll leave it there.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:04 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,727,877 times
The denials in this thread are laughable.

Just in the past 20 years alone this nation has gone down the....toilet.

No one is saying it was ever perfect, a Hallmark card, or some fairy tale, but to deny that it has not gotten worse is astoundingly ignorant at best.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:49 AM

110 posts, read 123,311 times
I love how some posters belittle "old people" as some sort of idiots who are incapable of independent thought and discernment. The reason older people argue that "modern society" has devolved into the prophetic reality of the movie Idiocracy (and if you haven't seen it, you should!), is based on LIFE EXPERIENCE and having had the advantage of an education that taught students HOW to think for themselves using logic and discernment. People under 30 had been taught what to think by public schools and have been taught the politically correct versions of American and World history.

There is nothing "cute" about the death of a culture where people were valued over materiality. Where once this society existed as a meritocracy and success was valued and viewed as something to emulate, not denigrate and despise.

Shame has been replaced with arrogance. Judgment has been replaced with group think. Individuality has been replaced with collectivism. Admiration of the successful has been replaced by envy and blame. Tenacity and initiative has been replaced by victimhood and rationalization.

Nah, this is NOT the best time in this nation's history...this is the downhill slope of a once shining city on a hill.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:56 AM

6 posts, read 23,856 times
Yes, yes, yes things have changed in America. It's never good to take away every thing. Blending the old and the new would have been better than what we have going on today. We should have left some morals in place. We are ridiculously rude and selfish! No respect.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:01 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,900,187 times
I'm 68. The modern world is changing faster than we can keep up with. I don't want a smart phone, or big stack of debts. I paid my dues, and need a quiet life. The contents of my refrigerator are more important than getting my hair styled. Watching the sun set, and moon rise are more fun than wrestling the mall mobs. I don't want to sit in a food court and listen to screaming kids, and people yakking on cell phones. No Wal Mart for me because I can't stand looking at all that cheap crap. It's fun to avoid crowds during the holidays, and stay home. Go out when they go away. Nature has become a better companion than most of my fellow humans. It's hell to be exposed to people who like "Duck Dynasty" so I choose my hangouts very carefully.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:06 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,187,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The denials in this thread are laughable.

Just in the past 20 years alone this nation has gone down the....toilet.

No one is saying it was ever perfect, a Hallmark card, or some fairy tale, but to deny that it has not gotten worse is astoundingly ignorant at best.
Really. 20 years. Not 40 years or 60 years...but 20 years.

Lol...you folks want your great grandparent's America...but that America sucked big time.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:10 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,727,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Really. 20 years. Not 40 years or 60 years...but 20 years.

Lol...you folks want your great grandparent's America...but that America sucked big time.
You don't know what I "want" because you can't even grasp the concept of an example. "Just in the last 20 years..." that doesn't mean ONLY in the last 20 years. Give it a rest.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:15 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,772,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnitegracie View Post
I love how some posters belittle "old people" as some sort of idiots who are incapable of independent thought and discernment. The reason older people argue that "modern society" has devolved into the prophetic reality of the movie Idiocracy (and if you haven't seen it, you should!), is based on LIFE EXPERIENCE and having had the advantage of an education that taught students HOW to think for themselves using logic and discernment. People under 30 had been taught what to think by public schools and have been taught the politically correct versions of American and World history.

There is nothing "cute" about the death of a culture where people were valued over materiality. Where once this society existed as a meritocracy and success was valued and viewed as something to emulate, not denigrate and despise.

Shame has been replaced with arrogance. Judgment has been replaced with group think. Individuality has been replaced with collectivism. Admiration of the successful has been replaced by envy and blame. Tenacity and initiative has been replaced by victimhood and rationalization.

Nah, this is NOT the best time in this nation's history...this is the downhill slope of a once shining city on a hill.

Old Man Moth agrees with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies