Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 08:56 AM

106 posts, read 104,236 times

Advertisements

Scott Walker: I would sign 20-week abortion ban - CNNPolitics.com

Wisconsin committee to vote on 20-week abortion ban bill - WQOW TV: Eau Claire, WI NEWS18 News, Weather, and Sports

What do you all think about this?

Also what do you all think about the contention that 20 week old fetuses can feel pain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 08:59 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
Most elective abortions are by mothers who can't afford to care for another child. If politicians cared about preventing abortions rather than punishing women, they would pass more poverty assistance and less abortion bans.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:21 AM

1,110 posts, read 672,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Most elective abortions are by mothers who can't afford to care for another child. If politicians cared about preventing abortions rather than punishing women, they would pass more poverty assistance and less abortion bans.
And this 'decision' on affordability can be made in less than 20 weeks no? Well it will have to in Wisconsin it seems. If not there are many other states that would perform a procedure post 20 weeks. Since these mother's are so fiscally responsible I wont need to suggest they try Michigan, Minnesota, Illinois or Iowa (those are the closest ones).

Old 06-03-2015, 09:29 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachlooter View Post
I would think it would need to have exemptions for different situations.

Quote:
Also what do you all think about the contention that 20 week old fetuses can feel pain?
At five months in, I think the probability is high and the development is at the point where I'd consider it a person. I'd rather restrictions be a little too early than a little too late if we were to error one way or the other.

-----

So, I'm guessing an hour until this thread devolves into nonsense.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:00 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Bubbleup View Post
And this 'decision' on affordability can be made in less than 20 weeks no? Well it will have to in Wisconsin it seems. If not there are many other states that would perform a procedure post 20 weeks. Since these mother's are so fiscally responsible I wont need to suggest they try Michigan, Minnesota, Illinois or Iowa (those are the closest ones).
Some women don't even know they're pregnant within 20 weeks, due to no fault of their own, and it's more likely amongst the poor.

I don't even know what you mean by "if these mothers are so poor why don't they travel to other states for their medical care?".

Old 06-03-2015, 10:02 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Scott Walker: I would sign 20-week abortion ban - CNNPolitics.com

Wisconsin committee to vote on 20-week abortion ban bill - WQOW TV: Eau Claire, WI NEWS18 News, Weather, and Sports

This video pretty much explains how I feel about it.

UPDATE: Hearing on 20 week abortion ban brings out emotional, co - WXOW News 19 La Crosse, WI

Old 06-03-2015, 10:09 AM

27 posts, read 14,762 times
I'm pretty much ok with a 20 week ban, as long as exceptions are made for health of mother, serious fetal issues, and rape or incest. By 20 weeks a woman has had plenty of time to decide for elective reasons.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:11 AM

BTW, this bill has NO exceptions for rape, incest, or profound congenital abnormalities.

Under the bill, doctors who perform an abortion after 20 weeks in non-emergency situations could be charged with a felony and subject to up to $10,000 in fines or 3½ years in prison.

This will impact the ability to make healthcare decisions by a woman and their doctor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69pQY_VGV84

Old 06-03-2015, 10:12 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,975 times
The number of abortions that women have in the US is going down, steadily.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
The number of abortions that women have in the US is going down, steadily.
Could that be because of increased access to birth control?

Watch for the abortion rate (at least before 20 weeks) to skyrocket in Wisconsin!

Scott Walker has:

Quote:
-Eliminated all state funding for Planned Parenthood health centers in Wisconsin, forcing the closure of five rural family planning health centers, which reduced access to lifesaving cancer screenings, annual exams, HIV testing, birth control, and STD testing and treatment for Wisconsin patients. (2011 Act 32)

-Supported a bill to repeal the Contraceptive Equity law which protects access to birth control. (AB 216/SB 202)
Governor Scott Walker - Planned Parenthood Advocates of Wisconsin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies