Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 05:45 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
LOL..that is because the extra SNAP money from the stimulus bill expired. That's $450 million per month.

Spending on SNAP has tripled in 10 years (2002-2012)
Oh look, conveniently missing the recovery. Why is that?

And arent you one of the ones arguing against raising the minimum wage as well? Weird...could those two topics be related?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 05:46 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Oh look, conveniently missing the recovery. Why is that?

And arent you one of the ones arguing against raising the minimum wage as well? Weird...could those two topics be related?
Absolutely not. The 2009 stimulus bill added to SNAP. That expired so of course it's coming down.
But SNAP has tripled since 2002.

No, I have not commented either way regarding the min wage at the Federal level.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:30 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
That is quite location dependent. Here in Phoenix, I'd say there absolutely is the opportunity. This is a massive metro with hiring places all over and a low cost of living. Back home, it's a legitimate struggle. I'm not dancing around that fact at all. Just saying a little blood, sweat and tears worth of effort would make many of the people on food stamps now, no longer need them. I will never say it isn't hard. It is hard as hell, in California anyway in my experience.
You're still dancing. You think tens of millions of poor should move to Phoenix and snap up those jobs? Or that there are enough metros to bring all those people? Stop pretending that there's no poverty problem in America because you saw a Now Hiring sign in a window. The math is simple: there are more Americans than there are jobs, much less decent-paying jobs. No amount of savvy and grit on the part of the poor will change that.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:36 PM

218 posts, read 241,865 times
Quote:
Make up your mind here..malnutrition or obesity.....
HappyTexan, Obesity is a form of malnutrition. ie mal=bad nutrition. A lot of people make bad choices when buying food, whether they are on SNAP or not. If possible, schools need to teach young people better nutrition habits, and help break the obesity cycle.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:03 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,595,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
You're still dancing. You think tens of millions of poor should move to Phoenix and snap up those jobs? Or that there are enough metros to bring all those people? Stop pretending that there's no poverty problem in America because you saw a Now Hiring sign in a window. The math is simple: there are more Americans than there are jobs, much less decent-paying jobs. No amount of savvy and grit on the part of the poor will change that.
You sir are going out of your way to put words in my mouth. Cut that out!
Since you pointed out poverty in general, you got my attention however. It is insane right now! Any major city I have spent considerable time in, it seems 50%-75% of town is the low income "crappy" areas. I guess the way I was seeing things "If been through absolute hell. I made it and I'm not exactly superman by any means. Why do people give up and get content?" Once again just a view in how I look at the world through little but personal experience. Not dancing around but perhaps being a bit judgmental at the same time and not seeing the big picture. That I will give you.

Now that you brought up the big picture, what is the solution, in your opinion? There is a hell of a lot more minimum wage jobs around than ones that pay a decent wage. Been there done that and rented a room. Only had 1 mouth to feed fortunately.

How is it that the jobs just aren't there? I have felt like the jobs just weren't there many times in the past. What happened, I mean aside from manufacturing being outsourced? I'm willing to bet the evolution of the internet is a large part in it. It has killed quite a few industries.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:08 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
How is it that the jobs just aren't there? I have felt like the jobs just weren't there many times in the past. What happened, I mean aside from manufacturing being outsourced? I'm willing to bet the evolution of the internet is a large part in it. It has killed quite a few industries.
Thats part of it. Mostly its that the pay for jobs has been decreasing at the bottom. As a nation we are vastly more productive then in the past, but the benefits for that go to the top.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:27 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
What ? Changes should be very easy to make. Food is scanned now. Software takes care of it.
Have the person swipe their EBT card first and then start ringing up the food. Non SNAP food vs SNAP food. Now you have 2 totals. SNAP pays for one total and the person forks over cash for the other total.

Quite simple to implement.
So we hire administrators/nutritionists to determine exactly what foods the powers that be will allow poor people to purchase and possible which brand names. As with WIC, you will need certified people to set up the database, then of course a couple employees to maintain the UPC system per grocer system certification. Then of course the confusion and impending wait at the check out that many of us have experienced first hand with WIC users when they didn't purchase the right amount, kinds and brands of approve products. What for? Is it so important to random strangers that Joe Blow spend his $100/month food stamp allotment on X brand rice, Y brand 1% milk and Z brand dried beans while we spend and additional $200/per month monitoring the scanning system.

Personally I would rather the powers that be spend their efforts preventing fraud. Like maybe actually verifying residence and income and family members and requiring a photo ID when using your SNAP card, easy and free. Lets drug test people but God forbid we ask them to show ID.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:30 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So we hire administrators/nutritionists to determine exactly what foods the powers that be will allow poor people to purchase and possible which brand names. As with WIC, you will need certified people to set up the database, then of course a couple employees to maintain the UPC system per grocer system certification. Then of course the confusion and impending wait at the check out that many of us have experienced first hand with WIC users when they didn't purchase the right amount, kinds and brands of approve products. What for? Is it so important to random strangers that Joe Blow spend his $100/month food stamp allotment on X brand rice, Y brand 1% milk and Z brand dried beans while we spend and additional $200/per month monitoring the scanning system.

Personally I would rather the powers that be spend their efforts preventing fraud. Like maybe actually verifying residence and income and family members and requiring a photo ID when using your SNAP card, easy and free. Lets drug test people but God forbid we ask them to show ID.
We have them now for school lunches. Most of the supermarkets have already implemented software for their shoppers to personalize their lists and remember items. The bulk of the software is there. It's just a matter of picking and choosing.

And you don't have to go by brand names. Breakfast cereal - yes, soda - no

SNAP already does this to a degree. After you pay with SNAP you have to pay cash for the non food items.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:34 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
I support drug testing.
Yeah, me too!

But when does testing become an addiction.

I hope to become wealthy enough to employ my own drug testers.

Sorrily-sadly, there's a lot of bad product circulating out there.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:34 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Politicians should have to take drug tests.. btw I knew some lowlifes that bought slim jims and such for their kids with their "assistance" . not the most economical way to eat... lazy &#*^#s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies