Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be required to have sales tax included on the advertised price?
Yes 18 35.29%
No 33 64.71%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 07:29 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX City visiting View Post
Those are gas stations!
Yes, so what? Hidden in their price per gallon is a HUGE state and federal tax.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:06 AM

191 posts, read 213,579 times
Gasoline taxes are NOT sales taxes. Depending on where you are in the country (which state) you will pay a set amount per gallon, whether the gas price is $2.00 per gallon or $10.00 per gallon. Many places used to require that a sign indicating the amount of tax being charged be affixed to the pump, but I frankly can't remember if that is still so.

I see no possible way to fairly and equitably "pre -load" sale tax charges into the sale price. For example, say your local jurisdiction imposes a 5% sales tax. If you buy an item that costs $1.00, the total cost after taxes would be $1.05. So far so good. The next time you buy something, it costs $0.50. The statutory tax on $0.50 would be $0.025. How many 0.5 cent pieces do you carry? What if the NEXT purchase is $0.33 (3 for a dollar)? Tax would be $0.1666666666666... What then?

In practice what happens in that by convention (meaning somebody, probably the legislature, decided on a rounding convention; maybe you pay $0.03 on a $0.50 purchase but $0.17 on a three for a dollar. But if you buy multiples of these items, say 3 for $1.00 the effective tax rat would be 5% while if you impose the $0.17 each tax, the effective rate is 5.1%.

Of course what happens now is the all you purchases are totaled an the tax is applied to the total sales price. You still have rounding issues, but you only apply the convention once .

Old 06-04-2015, 08:26 AM

520 posts, read 532,433 times
Nah because we dont have a unified tax system on point of sale purchases. Every state and actually every municipality has their own sales tax rate. Some have none at all. What you are asking for is unworkable.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:37 AM

493 posts, read 385,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meyers View Post
Nah because we dont have a unified tax system on point of sale purchases. Every state and actually every municipality has their own sales tax rate. Some have none at all. What you are asking for is unworkable.
It works for 99% of the world, but not in 1%

Old 06-04-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
It works for 99% of the world, but not in 1%
You seem to have a remedial knowledge of national taxes. The US does not have either a VAT or a GST nationally like those countries do. You might want to start learning about different methods of taxation. Would I support a repeal of the income tax and a move to VAT? Sure I would, but the commie wing of the democrat party will never let that happen becaise its not 'progresssive enough a tax' and sales tax are 'regressive'

Old 06-04-2015, 08:42 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
How about charging the same price nation-wide? Why can other countries do it and not us?
The question is about sales tax. If the price is the same everywhere, isn't that going to interfere with the states rights to set there own sales tax? You can't have the same price without the same sales tax.

This is just a dumb question any way you look at it.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:43 AM

493 posts, read 385,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meyers View Post
You seem to have a remedial knowledge of national taxes. The US does not have either a VAT or a GST nationally like those countries do. You might want to start learning about different methods of taxation. Would I support a repeal of the income tax and a move to VAT? Sure I would, but the commie wing of the democrat party will never let that happen becaise its not 'progresssive enough a tax' and sales tax are 'regressive'
Doesn't matter. You can still have taxes included on the advertised price.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Doesn't matter. You can still have taxes included on the advertised price.
Yes, you could but it would be a highly inefficient and stupid system in a country where there are massively different sales tsx rates or no rates across each city let alone state. I mean are you a kid or something? Do you expect retailers to print 1000 price cards a day and in 1000 variations just to meet every local sales tax rate? Youve presented an ill thought out argument.

Last edited by Chris Meyers; 06-04-2015 at 08:58 AM..

Old 06-04-2015, 08:57 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,792,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

But as for including sales tax in the advertised price, I doubt that would be easy, as every locality has a different tax rate. Where I live, we pay 6.75% Sales Tax; but, the State Sales Tax rate is only 5.75%.

Ohio has 1424 special taxing jurisdictions, with local taxes in addition to the State tax.
That's why we invented computer technology and database management software. 1424 special taxing jurisdictions? Child's play!

My property tax bill provides me with information on my tax plus the taxes imposed by a dozen special districts with no problem. The state knows the tax rate for every city, county, and special district and ha no problem collecting and disbursing the money as required by law. It is only a small step to a national sales tax database for internet retailers.

Way past time to stop looking for reasons NOT to make progress.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:26 AM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The only time I get surprised by sales tax is when I buy a new car. I always forget Maryland charges sales tax on the MSRP/negotiated price less any dealer rebates. Any factory rebates are not deducted from the taxable price.

So, when I bought a new truck last year with an MSRP of $35K I paid tax on $33K even though my actual cost was $25K. The only deduction for sales tax was the $1K of dealer rebate and $1K drop down negotiation. The $8K factory rebate was taxed.
What is your point?

So, the paperwork was in front of you to sign.

Obviously you read it, as you should EVERYTHING BEFORE signing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies