Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 05:53 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
This is surprising but unfortunately no companies in the US, this coupled with the G7's agreement to reduce carbon dioxide is a step in the right direction although very late.

Even Big Oil Wants a Carbon Tax - Bloomberg View
For what reason do we need a "carbon tax?" Because of the myth of rising global temperatures that cannot be proven, has not happened and isn't likely to happen by anything that man is doing? It isn't even happening by God's own hand! There is no proof. Zip, zero, nada.

So, what is the reason for a "carbon tax" which increases the costs of all consumer products, including one of the most important (if not the most important), affordable energy; i.e., electricity.

It's time for this hoax to die, and all of this crap with it!

This has caused us to abandon one of the best sources of illumination, the incandescent bulb, for inferior and more expensive products. The damn things don't last, and I'm sick of shelling out money to replace these damn things after only a few hours, or if I'm lucky, a few weeks (rare).

Almost everything we buy costs more because of this hoax that is the Left's weapon against the 'evil' of capitalism and entrepreneurship. They demand that we do with less, get used to being cold in the winter, turn off the air conditioner in summer (I don't own one), drive less, drive smaller cars, and on and on it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 06:03 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you mean one blade right?

one thing to ponder, if the oil companies get a carbon tax, lets say 3 cents per gallon, how much do you think gas prices are going to go up? hint, if you think its going to be 3 cents, you are living in lala land. you can figure just about double what the carbon tax would add. in other words, get a 3 cent per gallon carbon tax, and see a 9 cent increase at the pump.
We're not just talking about gasoline here. Do you understand how many products are petroleum based? Damn near everything we use!

Old 06-10-2015, 06:06 AM

57,296 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
For what reason do we need a "carbon tax?" Because of the myth of rising global temperatures that cannot be proven, has not happened and isn't likely to happen by anything that man is doing? It isn't even happening by God's own hand! There is no proof. Zip, zero, nada.

So, what is the reason for a "carbon tax" which increases the costs of all consumer products, including one of the most important (if not the most important), affordable energy; i.e., electricity.

It's time for this hoax to die, and all of this crap with it!

This has caused us to abandon one of the best sources of illumination, the incandescent bulb, for inferior and more expensive products. The damn things don't last, and I'm sick of shelling out money to replace these damn things after only a few hours, or if I'm lucky, a few weeks (rare).

Almost everything we buy costs more because of this hoax that is the Left's weapon against the 'evil' of capitalism and entrepreneurship. They demand that we do with less, get used to being cold in the winter, turn off the air conditioner in summer (I don't own one), drive less, drive smaller cars, and on and on it goes.
I would not dismiss research by our nations leading scientists as crap, if you believe climate change is a myth there is no point in further discussion.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:13 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
We're not just talking about gasoline here.
You're talking about everything. Prime examples are the cement and steel industries which are both very carbon intensive industries.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:31 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I'm not so sure about that....A carbon tax will lower the difference in cost between green energy and carbon intensive energy as it has done in BC....We are seeing more and more infrastructure being built for green energy every year and increasing application of the same....Oil consumption has decreased by 16% since the carbon tax began, while our population and economy continues to increase.

B.C.
We should not tax carbon until we develop a suitable replacement for fossil fuels. The EPA is going to create a final rule to regulate CO2 emissions from existing coal-fired power plants. We cannot keep beating ourselves to death because we have failed to develop a replacement for fossil fuels.

Our energy use in this country, and our subsequent carbon footprint, plummeted because of the economic crisis in 2008. Thanks our inept federal government we have had an excruciatingly slow recovery.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:01 AM

57,296 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
We should not tax carbon until we develop a suitable replacement for fossil fuels. The EPA is going to create a final rule to regulate CO2 emissions from existing coal-fired power plants. We cannot keep beating ourselves to death because we have failed to develop a replacement for fossil fuels.

Our energy use in this country, and our subsequent carbon footprint, plummeted because of the economic crisis in 2008. Thanks our inept federal government we have had an excruciatingly slow recovery.
The final rule from the EPA regarding power plant emissions is due out next month, there was a lawsuit brought by several power companies and states just dismissed but that will likely continue. I don't see why you can't do both.

Our energy use per capita use is around double of any country, there is plenty of room for improvement.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:20 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
We're not just talking about gasoline here. Do you understand how many products are petroleum based? Damn near everything we use!
true, we are not talking just about gasoline here, but gasoline is the largest product line the oil companies have. and that is where the carbon tax is going to be first felt the most.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:39 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
The final rule from the EPA regarding power plant emissions is due out next month, there was a lawsuit brought by several power companies and states just dismissed but that will likely continue. I don't see why you can't do both.

Our energy use per capita use is around double of any country, there is plenty of room for improvement.
You can do both but what we should not do is enact policies like discussed here that is going to be a huge financial boon for those like Goldman Sachs while further harming the poor.

I'm simply amazed at the number of people who complain about the growing wealth gap but yet will back something like this which will only make it grow even larger.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:44 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,358 times
Quote:
Which is actually very good considering the percentage of the world's goods we produce and the percentage of the world's economy we maintain. Interesting how often people completely neglect proportionality and perspective when they start throwing these stats out.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:21 AM

1,245 posts, read 923,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I actually believe I support a carbon tax. Here's why:

1. I work in the O&G industry. As someone else just pointed out, it will hurt coal producers much harder and give my industry a competitive advantage. Since the tax will be pretty much be universal across the O&G industry and just passed on to the consumer, it won't really hurt us (the company that employes me).

2. The roads are getting more and more congested. An increase in such taxes will drive up gas prices which will force more lower income families into public transportation. This will result in less cars on the road, and less traffic for me.

3. With lower income people dependent upon public transportation, it will result in less of them living out in the x-burbs with me.

4. Higher fuel and electrical costs will result in higher food prices and reduced crop yields. This should help reduce the increase in population.

I just don't really see a downside. Even thought I don't subscribe to man-made global warming, I am beginning to dig the idea of a carbon tax simply because the slight dent it makes in my budget is offset by the positive effects. Is it classist? Well, yes, but if most people are honest, most people are classist.
It is wrong to wish hardship on to others with a carbon tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies