Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2015, 10:44 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
There is no one particular black culture.

Black people have all kinds of music and not just rap. I am black and am not a gangsta or a "playa" lol.
That's my point. You can be a married man, a faithful husband, hold a masters degree, but the hood rats causing mayhem drag you down with them, and they are being excused for misbehaving because of the soft bigotry of low expectations.

Instead of prominent people, politicians and the so called black leaders, calling out bad behavior as unacceptable and out of the norm, they claim the exact opposite, as if Ebonics and thug behavior comes naturally to blacks are and they just can't help it.

Quote:
It, meaning the stereotypes of blacks as lazy, ignorant, and criminally minded are not "self perpetuated" they are perpetuated by a society that deems black as inferior. Black people are a part of that society and many also see themselves through the view of those stereotypes even though, if you look at the facts from the early 1900s to today, black people are in no way in the same position as we once were even though we still have those same characteristics thrust upon us.
But this unjust stereotype exists because for you to admonish a black person for behaving badly, for making babies without being a father, for dropping out of school and dropping letters and talking like a hood rat, is to be call you out as a racist or an race traitor.

Quote:
Only 1% of black people are arrested in a given year, yet we are seen as criminals.

In 1903 the majority, over 70% of black people lived in dire poverty. Today over 70% are working class and above.

In 1903 the majority of black people were illiterate. Today we have the highest high school graduation rates and higher education rates than we have ever had. Contrary to what people believe, more black men actually do go to college than to prison every year.

Of all the groups represented by labels in America, blacks have come the farthest, especially in the past 50-60 years. Yet, those triumphs and successes are not widely mentioned when statistics are brought up about blacks. Only negative ones used to try to shame us and paint us as horribly uneducated, criminally minded persons. The same thing was done in the 1870s/1880s after reconstruction. The same thing was done in the early 1900s as is evidenced in the book I mentioned and other historical information. the same was done in the 1920s after the beginnings of the "Great Migration" of blacks northward. The same was done in the 1930s to deny black people federal welfare in local communities. The same was done in the 1940s-1960s as a reason why black people should "wait" until white people "gave" them Civil Rights instead of demanding those Civil Rights. The same thing has been done since the 1960s, even though economically, educationally, and materially black people have reached great strides.

The stereotypes of blacks as lazy, criminals, and ignorant is not new. They are ingrained in the American psyche due to our country's past and it will take many generations to remove those bigoted views. As a black person, I don't feel a responsiblity to show white people how "good' I am. I know I am good. I know the vast majority 95%+ of black people are "good" and are not ghetto, lazy, uneducated, criminally minded "playas."

It is perpetuated by the white supremacist ideology that is prevalent in our society. Not by black people. Because if it was based upon the history of the majority of black people in this country, those stereotypes would not exist.
It's the so called black leaders like Sharpton and Jackson, liberals and democrat politicians who excuse the inexcusable because they need blacks as a permanent underclass. It's these people who will call me a racist for pointing out bad or undesirable behavior. It's these people who perpetuate this stereotype because it keeps blacks down, and these people thrive and grow powerful off the notion that they are the only ones who can help, the only ones keeping the racist barbarians at the gates.

You can be a black and be thug, you can assault police and then get your own memorial, simply for "existing while black."

What would happen to a black man or woman who truthfully berated Michael Brown for his violent actions in the store and against the police? The man has a memorial to his name, so we know what would happen.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
To be fair: that's a low class thing. It ain't just some Black women who get loud, I've heard my share of PWT girls do the same thing.
True, but a pretty white girls can be called out by anyone for being rude and disrespectful, while I'll be called a racist for calling out the same rude behavior of a pretty black girl. As if that is just how black women are, or they can't help because it is our fault, the fault of society.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
If you were going to own others for the purpose of manual labor, my guess is that most would rather own Hispanics, not blacks.
Was that supposed to be funny?

Old 06-10-2015, 11:01 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
The bold is such an ignorant mindset. No one has any idea how the over 45 different ethnic groups brought to the U.S. and throughout the Americas would have developed and impacted West and Central Africa if not taken here.
I addressed the descendents of the slaves brought to America from Africa, not all the "over 45 different ethnic groups..." ! Please, comprehend what you read.

Quote:
However, I do believe that the VAST majority of the descendants would prefer to have their ethnic identities, ethnic/cultural names, cultural practices and chosen religions far more in tact. Only a warped mind would praise the U.S. for setting the circumstances to be stripped of all the above just for birth in the U.S. It would have been FAR better to be a willing immigrant.
Anyone who becomes and American citizen is an AMERICAN...period! There is a difference between being an American and acknowledging ancestors' "cultural practices." Those practices better not conflict with our American safety and society itself. Religious freedom is totally separate and guaranteed by our Constitution.

Quote:
Ask they vast majority of African immigrants and their children if they would rather have been born with their specific heritages as opposed to having a long history in this country. As a first-generation American who came from poor immigrants, I would choose my heritage over and over again. As a minority, I am glad to be able to look elsewhere for my heritage. No one has a choice in these matters, however, so I respect African-Americans as a highly resilient people.
There is a huge difference between becoming an American citizen and accepting that any citizen is an American...PERIOD...and appreciating one's ancestral heritage/culture! One can acknowledge with pride or otherwise their heritage realizing that has no impact on being an American...PERIOD! Example, I am an American! My paternal grandfather came here from Alsace-Lorraine, my paternal great-grandmother came from France, my maternal grandmother came from New Zealand and my material great-grandfather's ancestors came from Scotland. My maternal ancestors have been traced back to William the Conqueror. However, as proud as I am of my ancestral lineage...I am an American...PERIOD!

It is the wonderful opportunities in life that this great country of America founded upon it's U.S. Constitution which have given me a good life. America opened the doors to opportunity and I walked though, worked hard to educate myself and work up the ladder to prosperity. Nothing was "given to me" and I grew up before welfare...had to take responsibility for myself and, even though it was a difficult road with lots of struggle, it was worth the trip. I love this country and the life I have because of those great Founding Fathers that had the foresight to give everyone the "right to take responsibility for themselves."

Last edited by lorrysda; 06-10-2015 at 11:22 AM..

Old 06-10-2015, 12:23 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
That's my point. You can be a married man, a faithful husband, hold a masters degree, but the hood rats causing mayhem drag you down with them, and they are being excused for misbehaving because of the soft bigotry of low expectations.

Instead of prominent people, politicians and the so called black leaders, calling out bad behavior as unacceptable and out of the norm, they claim the exact opposite, as if Ebonics and thug behavior comes naturally to blacks are and they just can't help it.

But this unjust stereotype exists because for you to admonish a black person for behaving badly, for making babies without being a father, for dropping out of school and dropping letters and talking like a hood rat, is to be call you out as a racist or an race traitor.

It's the so called black leaders like Sharpton and Jackson, liberals and democrat politicians who excuse the inexcusable because they need blacks as a permanent underclass. It's these people who will call me a racist for pointing out bad or undesirable behavior. It's these people who perpetuate this stereotype because it keeps blacks down, and these people thrive and grow powerful off the notion that they are the only ones who can help, the only ones keeping the racist barbarians at the gates.

You can be a black and be thug, you can assault police and then get your own memorial, simply for "existing while black."

What would happen to a black man or woman who truthfully berated Michael Brown for his violent actions in the store and against the police? The man has a memorial to his name, so we know what would happen.

You evidently didn't understand what I said in my response to you.

As a black person, I don't care what you think about me. Other black people "behaving badly" are not "dragging me down." It is up to you and your ilk to not associate those persons with me, not the other way around.

You think the things you think about black people and place your negative views on them because you feel that the lower class of blacks is somehow representative of all black people even though you don't view poor whites or Asians as the same because you (not speaking of you personally but a general you) have been reared in the system of white supremacy which relegates blacks as inferior and subhuman and primarily characterized by negativity even though when you look at the big picture and even the statistical numbers, none of those stereotypes of blacks are unique to or equal to black people as a whole.

On the post above, poster is also speaking about generalizing things, like all blacks listen to and follow "Sharpton and Jackson" (this is so plalyed out here on CD, again, black people do not consider them our leaders, you do because they are the only black people that your media tells you are our leaders).

Mike Brown and other media events have nothing to do with what I spoke of in my comment.

My comments, again are as follows:

Black people have accomplished more than any other group in America over the past 50-60 years.
Over 90% of black people are not criminals
Black people are much more highly educated today than ever before.
Stereotypes of black people are not based on recent media stories, they are based upon the ideology of the system of white supremacy which views blacks as ignorant, criminally minded, and lazy.
Black people do not perpetuate those stereotypes, if they were based upon the history of blacks in this country, none of those stereotypes about us would exist.

ETA: Wanted to also let the poster know, black people are not a "permanent underclass." The majority of black people are not poor or in an under class at all. You should quit letting the media tell you what to think about black people.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:28 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,543,354 times
No Freedom! No Peace! Please stay on topic! Thanks!

Old 06-10-2015, 12:58 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Was that supposed to be funny?
Sort of......But in general, I think it's widely believed that Hispanics have a stronger work ethic than blacks. It's why you see many Hispanics in manual labor jobs (construction, landscaping, restaurant work, etc).

Old 06-10-2015, 01:09 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Sort of......But in general, I think it's widely believed that Hispanics have a stronger work ethic than blacks. It's why you see many Hispanics in manual labor jobs (construction, landscaping, restaurant work, etc).
It's based on the stereotype of blacks being lazy.

BTW, I always find that one to be the funniest. Blacks are lazy so they were forced to work for free for over 100 years and then work for pennies or general debt for another 80 years in the hot sweltering heat doing manual farm labor lol.

FWIW, there are just as many black people doing manual labor jobs - construction, landscaping and restaurant work versus hispanic.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:51 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
If you were going to own others for the purpose of manual labor, my guess is that most would rather own Hispanics, not blacks.
Even IF "legal"; owning Hispanics won't work because there's NO Hispanic "race".

Old 06-10-2015, 01:59 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,442,264 times
Quote:

1. Black people have accomplished more than any other group in America over the past 50-60 years.
1. Um, wait what? OK...so you're saying that black people have accomplished more than the Jews or Asians in the last 60 years?

By what metric?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies