Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2015, 10:30 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Fine. Let's see you articulate WHY 2+2=4, WHY 1/4=2/8 or WHY 4-5=-1
One hundred minus ninety-eight, plus four, minus four, equals two. If you add this sentence to another sentence just like it, you get four.

Well? Am I right? Am I right?

Six of one, or quarter dozen of another, can be equal when adding two to the quarted dozen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 10:30 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
I'd love to see the geometric proof that says the sum of all angles of a triangle is 179 degrees. That and 4*3 = 11 are similar wrong equations.
Well they get credit for following the steps and knowing what to do.
I personally would mark it wrong. They are supposed to go back and check their work and prove the answer is correct.

How would you like that kind of math done on your pension or checking account ?

Old 06-17-2015, 10:34 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
I personally would mark it wrong. They are supposed to go back and check their work and prove the answer is correct.

Or a BRIDGE?

That type of teaching is a JOKE. In the REAL WORLD, you don't get credit for being wrong. People DIE if you supposedly took all the right reasoning steps but got the answer WRONG.

I cannot believe how corrupted education has become.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I'd love to see the geometric proof that says the sum of all angles of a triangle is 179 degrees. That and 4*3 = 11 are similar wrong equations.
Just add plus one times plus one, times minus one times minus one.

I used to build pyramids, where apex angles were always just-off 90 degrees.

Trig fell apart, forcing use of the Golden Mean.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:42 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,771,021 times
Quote:

But there aren't any steps that would result in <A + <B + <C = 179 degrees in a triangle or that multiplying 4 and 3 = 11. The steps of more involved geometry and algebra problems are based on postulates or absolutes. The how and why becomes important in those advanced problems, but it doesn't erase the fundamental rules on which the solution must be based to be correct. Before a simple multiplication table problem like 4*3 = 12 is memorized, the student should have already have a solid background in addition and be able to explain that adding 4 + 4 + 4 = 4*3 and that multiplication is just shorthand addition. Once they know that, it is best to memorize the multiplication tables so that they can move on to more advanced calculations. Does anyone really want a beginning algebra student to be using a number line when they solve 4X ^2 + 8 = 24? They had better at that point know how to quickly subtract 8 from 24, divide by 4 and take the square root of 4. Common Core complicates this.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Or a BRIDGE?

That type of teaching is a JOKE. In the REAL WORLD, you don't get credit for being wrong. People DIE if you supposedly took all the right reasoning steps but got the answer WRONG.

I cannot believe how corrupted education has become.
It is designed to create The Bureaucratic Mind.

When the answer is wrong, it can be adjusted to be right with the simple application of force or extortion or favors.

Many would agree that THIS is the real world.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:46 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Mostly Democrats have been responsible for the dumbing down of children and college students for decades and they have unfortunately been very successful.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
But there aren't any steps that would result in <A + <B + <C = 179 degrees in a triangle or that multiplying 4 and 3 = 11. The steps of more involved geometry and algebra problems are based on postulates or absolutes. The how and why becomes important in those advanced problems, but it doesn't erase the fundamental rules on which the solution must be based to be correct. Before a simple multiplication table problem like 4*3 = 12 is memorized, the student should have already have a solid background in addition and be able to explain that adding 4 + 4 + 4 = 4*3 and that multiplication is just shorthand addition. Once they know that, it is best to memorize the multiplication tables so that they can move on to more advanced calculations. Does anyone really want a beginning algebra student to be using a number line when they solve 4X ^2 + 8 = 24? They had better at that point know how to quickly subtract 8 from 24, divide by 4 and take the square root of 4. Common Core complicates this.
"Givens" are soooo . . . inflexible!

You want our kids to have flexible minds, don't you?

I mean, without resorting to pot?

Old 06-17-2015, 11:11 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
But that is not deep understanding of the number system. That's just repeating rote memorization of "math facts". You have to answer WHY not HOW.

Common Core is bringing abstract thinking down into the elementary grades.
This abstract thinking is pure Math. In pure Math you explore the WHY behind the WHAT and HOW.

I had about 36 credits of college Math under my belt when I started on my pure Math classes.
Pure Math involves proofs.

Do we really want to get into number theory with third graders ?

Old 06-17-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
It is designed to create The Bureaucratic Mind.

When the answer is wrong, it can be adjusted to be right with the simple application of force or extortion or favors.

Many would agree that THIS is the real world.
Explainary is the New Math.

Some think of it as an art.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies