Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 06:01 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times

Advertisements

There is a very good reason, the founding fathers never ever thought of anything like the 16th Amendment. Actually they talked greatly about taxing the people and how it always leads to tyranny and could never be part of the US Constitution.
Hell, they had just fought a war over taxing by a government, as punishment.

I bet today, it would not be hard, to get an amendment to repeal the 16th Amendment.
The only people against it would be those that live off the Federal Reserve and the stock market. And those wanting government to take care of them, like property.

Bartering and Cash Only, are becoming more and more popular, as a way to get around the system of legal theft.

I personally don't want or need government to know what I live off of, so they can get their cut for keeping me safe(MAFIA shakedown)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 06:24 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
You're right...but it's never gonna happen...too many powerful folks have their hands in the till....and they aren't going to give up the free money they are grabbing.

The US Gov't. isn't supposed to take care of everyone. The government is supposed to protect our borders....that's it! WE are supposed to take care of ourselves...and if we can't for legitimate reasons, there are local charities that will help you IF they find you really need help. The excuse of "flipping burgers is beneath me, so give me food stamps", won't fly with a private charity.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:52 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

I bet today, it would not be hard, to get an amendment to repeal the 16th Amendment.
I'll take that bet.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:55 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
I'll take that bet.
Me too. Its virtually impossible. Taxes are a fundamental composition of our government and industry. Both people AND businesses would resist it. Anyone thinking otherwise is delusional.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:34 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
First off, it wont happen despite the rhetoric as seen in the OP of the government being the mafia. Why is that, because the founding fathers realized that we needed to change with the times. This is why we have the ability to draft amendments to the constitution. I have not heard a legitimate replacement to income taxes. Flat tax sounds good but it has to be revenue neutral to be effective and most people would actually have a tax increase with it. The same can be said with the FairTax though the middle class entirely gets hosed on it as well. Excise taxes (those established from the beginning of the US until the passing of the 16th amendment) are another word for a national sales tax in which not only the middle class gets hosed but so does the lower class. At the time of the 16th amendment everyone was farmers or business owners with a few factory workers and most were self-suficent so they didn't see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
There is a very good reason, the founding fathers never ever thought of anything like the 16th Amendment. Actually they talked greatly about taxing the people and how it always leads to tyranny and could never be part of the US Constitution.
Hell, they had just fought a war over taxing by a government, as punishment.

The only people against it would be those that live off the Federal Reserve and the stock market. And those wanting government to take care of them, like property.

Bartering and Cash Only, are becoming more and more popular, as a way to get around the system of legal theft.

I personally don't want or need government to know what I live off of, so they can get their cut for keeping me safe(MAFIA shakedown)
I addressed most of your strawman and rhetoric above but the bold is interesting. It maybe true that people are going to cash only but that was always the case. Selling items at a garage sale or swap meet or selling your car through the newspaper was generally on a cash-basis anyway. Though there was always benefits of avoiding taxes, it also provided lower prices in most cases. I don't see a boom in bartering and cash only to avoid taxes, more that people just do it for the costs. Taxes are just a cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
You're right...but it's never gonna happen...too many powerful folks have their hands in the till....and they aren't going to give up the free money they are grabbing.

The US Gov't. isn't supposed to take care of everyone. The government is supposed to protect our borders....that's it! WE are supposed to take care of ourselves...and if we can't for legitimate reasons, there are local charities that will help you IF they find you really need help. The excuse of "flipping burgers is beneath me, so give me food stamps", won't fly with a private charity.
The problem with "the government isn't supposed to take care of everyone" is there are too many with legitimate reasons who cannot. Far too many during the recession lost everything and cannot even afford the second dime to rub in between their fingers, let alone supplies to run a business like lawn-care, repairs or gutter cleaning. Too many that local charities are over-stretched in helping you because not enough can give time or other resources to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
I'll take that bet.
I will too. It's a sucker bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Me too. Its virtually impossible. Taxes are a fundamental composition of our government and industry. Both people AND businesses would resist it. Anyone thinking otherwise is delusional.
They are fundamental for the government to run. If not we'll run at a BIGGER deficit and everyone knows that. The military needs tax revenue to pay officers.
The issue is that I think the people that resist it isn't everyone. Most people don't care. It's just those directly affected will oppose while those who buy the OP's rhetoric are.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:00 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Repealing the 16th Amendment would put us in a bad relationship with the Federal Reserve Bank.

I once crossed the Federal Reserve Bank just by stuffing parking meters with quarters.

Those guys play rough.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:04 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,771,432 times
The 16th Amendment is bad but we ought to repeal the 14th Amendment because it no longer means what it originally did.

The biggest attackers of black slaves are homosexuals.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:04 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
The 16th Amendment is bad but we ought to repeal the 14th Amendment because it no longer means what it originally did.

The biggest attackers of black slaves are homosexuals.
The 14th Amendment wouldn't be needed unless straight white males didn't think the government should be allowed to discriminate based on racial, gender or sexual differences. Sadly, there are enough white males who do. I as a white male, do not but there aren't enough of me to make the amendment redundant and un-needed.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:20 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Oh yes, the 16th amendment has sure made things better. LMAO!!

I love paying taxes for crap I don't want and never asked for, yay! Especially when they use it for programs that prevent my kids from playing outside, remove happy fat kids from their families for being fat and happy and tell me what I can eat, drink smoke and what my hobbies will be.

I'm with you, I'll take the dirt roads and no streetlights over feeling my ass is owned any day.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:53 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times
I favor a "No Representation Without Taxation" amendment.

If you don't pay taxes, you don't get to elect politicians who raise them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies