Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 05:34 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times

Advertisements

This took me by surprise because firearms sales have been booming, and Colt has big contracts with the government / military.

Colt Files for Bankruptcy, Seeks August Auction - WSJ

Colt Defense LLC filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy protection Sunday, warning its business is in a fragile state and it needs a quick sale to survive.

The bankruptcy filing was expected for the famed gun maker, which failed to win the support of bondholders for a debt-reshaping agreement. Colt had said if it couldn’t reach a deal, it would put itself up for sale in bankruptcy

Old 06-15-2015, 05:52 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
It's to be expected that cheaper firearms, like cheaper cars, will provide competition to old time domestic manufacturers.

Colt's problems seem to hinge on it's previous elitist attitude and obsession with government contracts INSTEAD of innovating for individual consumer market. You can only ride on the 1911 derivatives for just so long before people start wondering why they're paying $400 dollars more for a .45acp than the competition who are fielding weapons that also deliver accuracy and reliability. Not everyone desires an heirloom as a weapon.

Comments on blog sites are frequently centered around lack of new products being available in gun stores and people desiring a weapon who contact the company directly getting the: "we're sorry, but we are not taking orders at this time".

Those things all taken in concert, would spell the demise of any company were they to become the norm rather than an anomaly. A positive name recognition will sustain sales for just so long until that name garners negative connotations associated with it, then the free fall will be spectacular.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:00 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
So I guess moving to Texas couldn't save the company from bankruptcy. I remember when they said they are moving out of CT because of CT's "anti-gun culture", I think it had to do with $$$ the entire time; the "We're moving to TX because it has a good gun culture there" was a PR statement for the duped Right, while the balance sheets didn't look so good anymore. I bet that was the real motivation

Old 06-15-2015, 06:19 AM

1,984 posts, read 1,701,389 times
Without pulling the actual filing, my read on this is Colt Defense LLC is a subsidiary of Colt Manufacturing Company. That subsidiary seems to have had a troubled financing history of late.

Hence, what part of the overall Colt company gets sold off and what remains isn't clear to me...

Old 06-15-2015, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
It's to be expected that cheaper firearms, like cheaper cars, will provide competition to old time domestic manufacturers.

Colt's problems seem to hinge on it's previous elitist attitude and obsession with government contracts INSTEAD of innovating for individual consumer market. You can only ride on the 1911 derivatives for just so long before people start wondering why they're paying $400 dollars more for a .45acp than the competition who are fielding weapons that also deliver accuracy and reliability. Not everyone desires an heirloom as a weapon.

Comments on blog sites are frequently centered around lack of new products being available in gun stores and people desiring a weapon who contact the company directly getting the: "we're sorry, but we are not taking orders at this time".

Those things all taken in concert, would spell the demise of any company were they to become the norm rather than an anomaly. A positive name recognition will sustain sales for just so long until that name garners negative connotations associated with it, then the free fall will be spectacular.
Yes, I guess they are simply being eliminated by the competition.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
Without pulling the actual filing, my read on this is Colt Defense LLC is a subsidiary of Colt Manufacturing Company. That subsidiary seems to have had a troubled financing history of late.

Hence, what part of the overall Colt company gets sold off and what remains isn't clear to me...
It is not a subsidiary of Colt Manufacturing Company. They split in 2002. Colt Defense LLC supplies the military and LE, while Colt Manufacturing sells to the private sector.

Interestingly it seems they re-united two years ago. So, I agree that it is hard to see what is being sold. Maybe they split again, and Colt Defense LLC filed for Chapter 11 and is looking for a buyer.

Article about re-uniting:
http://articles.courant.com/2013-07-...ndustries-debt

Old 06-15-2015, 06:25 AM

13,693 posts, read 9,014,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
So I guess moving to Texas couldn't save the company from bankruptcy. I remember when they said they are moving out of CT because of CT's "anti-gun culture", I think it had to do with $$$ the entire time; the "We're moving to TX because it has a good gun culture there" was a PR statement for the duped Right, while the balance sheets didn't look so good anymore. I bet that was the real motivation
I agree. I recall the thread here on CD on that issue.

I also read the other day that Colt was in trouble, as indicated by another poster above, because they simply would not 'keep up with the times', in competing with other companies offering guns with good fire-power and a lower weight.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:28 AM

45,416 posts, read 60,608,674 times
So it's the government supplier that's filing bankruptcy and not the civilian arms company?

Old 06-15-2015, 06:29 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

That and demanding over a $1000 for a Single Action Army revolver. It is the simplest of all guns designed. The quality of the Colt M4 is inferior to that of Bushmaster which is $500 to $600 cheaper. Colts marketing practices have always left me scratching my head.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:30 AM

It seems they lost the M4 contract with the military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies